Will 2024 be the best NRL season ever?

8 hours ago, going for the corner said:

No doubt but tomorrow’s another day and we’ve got 2 all Queensland clashes next weekend.

incidentally do think suncorp will sellout and cbus stadium will see a 20k+ attendance?

Doubt it will sellout but expect 40,000.

After Titans start ( some would say their problem is they have yet to start) and TFs injury I think they will struggle to make 20,000. Id guess 18k if its decent weather but forecast is for rain.

6.30pm Kick off. Its getting on for 2 hours drive (3 hours by train) each way from Redcliffe (well Kippa-ring, there is no station in redcliffe, another 10 minute drive) but in holiday traffic can be considerably longer. And trains are usually disrupted over easter for maintenance. Dolphins fans will be lucky to get home before turning into a pumpkin.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

After Titans start ( some would say their problem is they have yet to start) and TFs injury I think they will struggle to make 20,000. Id guess 18k if its decent weather but forecast is for rain.

6.30pm Kick off. Its getting on for 2 hours drive (3 hours by train) each way from Redcliffe (well Kippa-ring, there is no station in redcliffe, another 10 minute drive) but in holiday traffic can be considerably longer. And trains are usually disrupted over easter for maintenance. Dolphins fans will be lucky to get home before turning into a pumpkin.

Very switched-on poster in Oz is predicting 46 - 48 thousand if the weather holds up and members attend. HST, the Bureau`s predicting 40% chance of showers, 43-44k if the bureau get it right.

Latest forecast is for very little rain on Friday so that should help. Also not much else to do on Good Friday so maybe it will be closer to capacity. And latest team news is Reynolds is expected to play.

9 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

VFL free entry, Seagulls free entry for Titans members, Easts $7 (concession).

Delighted to be right on the VFL. Pity you don't get the chance to ask for your money back.

Last I heard about Seagulls, they had pitch problems after the Piggabeen redevelopment and were playing games at Tugun.

Must be about $7 for a beer at Easts Leagues. Concessions for innocents still in shock from watching Fumbleball.

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Great start. I am tipping minimum 25,000 crowd average for round 4 which will only serve to increase the YTD avg.

Hope you’re right mate but I can’t see it myself as some games are seeing teams enter into them in poor form like souths and Gold Coast.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Delighted to be right on the VFL. Pity you don't get the chance to ask for your money back.

Last I heard about Seagulls, they had pitch problems after the Piggabeen redevelopment and were playing games at Tugun.

Must be about $7 for a beer at Easts Leagues. Concessions for innocents still in shock from watching Fumbleball.

Havent had to switch games to Tugun for a while. Major pitch renovations at Piggabeen over the summer….pitch was looking great at the weekend but major problem is the creek that runs by. Doesnt take much rain for it to flood the low lying ground.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Concessions for innocents still in shock from watching Fumbleball.

12 noon to 2.30pm on a rainy Saturday…with the absence of alternatives it was that or going shopping with partner. I didnt have to toss a coin.

• Haha 1

Not really worth a new thread so just thought I'd put it here. Reece Walsh signs new 5 year deal on $1.1 million a year.

Walsh is a quality player who is very marketable and locking in players like this for big money will only grow the NRL in future years and cement its status as the no 1 Rugby competiton:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Not really worth a new thread so just thought I'd put it here. Reece Walsh signs new 5 year deal on $1.1 million a year.

Walsh is a quality player who is very marketable and locking in players like this for big money will only grow the NRL in future years and cement its status as the no 1 Rugby competiton:

Worth every penny for me and an essential asset to not only the broncos but the NRL.

On 25/03/2024 at 05:12, Anita Bath said:

Think suncorp and commbank will be near sellouts along with mount smart while souths and Gold Coast could disappoint.

hard to judge roosters v panthers but hopefully will be pushing high 20’s around the 27-28k mark.

18 hours ago, Damien said:

Walsh has the potential to be very good for a long time. Much like Darren Lockyer, I could see him moving from fullback into the halves when he starts to slow down a bit and essentially have a second career. It is amazing the Broncos ever let Walsh go in the first place, they were very fortunate to get another chance to nab him - most clubs never get a chance to right such wrongs.

Edited by eal
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, eal said:

Walsh has the potential to be very good for a long time. Much like Darren Lockyer, I could see him moving from fullback into the halves when he starts to slow down a bit and essentially have a second career. It is amazing the Broncos ever let Walsh go in the first place, they were very fortunate to get another chance to nab him - most clubs never get a chance to right such wrongs.

Didn’t they let in go in order to gain 1st grade experience and that he was always going back to the broncos at some point?

23 hours ago, Damien said:

There`s was stats on the most popular sporting teams and players on social media recently, I think Reece was the only domestically based player in the top 10. A separate list showed he has more social media followers than every club in the NRL including his own. Unbelievable and priceless in today`s day and age.

Given his profile I have to admit that I was surprised he isn`t getting more, Pongas`s on 1.4 and Cleary 1.3, Cherry Evans something similar. I imagine there is a lot of third-party deals which we aren`t hearing about here.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

As the NRL succeeds so do its clubs and in turn so does the NRL.

Cronulla Sharks AGM was this week. 

Sharks group annual revenue - $27m despite a closed leagues club and only 50% of corporate space open during the build. No loss.

Assets:

- $21m bank balance.

- additional $5m gift from New York.

- Shark Park EMV $40m.

- Sharks club EMV $30m.

- Sharks @ Kareela (golf course and club) EMV $13m.

- Cronulla mall commercial property EMV $8m.

Pre-approved for $18m loan for Leagues club fit out when ready.

All major sponsors/partners retained for fourth consecutive year.

Sharks leagues club likely to open early 2025.

No plans to improve stadium without government funding.

For anyone who thinks the Sharks are on borrowed time, or would be best moving to Perth or wherever have it very, very wrong.

Up Up Cronulla.

• Like 3

On 25/03/2024 at 17:48, The Rocket said:

Very switched-on poster in Oz is predicting 46 - 48 thousand if the weather holds up and members attend. HST, the Bureau`s predicting 40% chance of showers, 43-44k if the bureau get it right.

Very swiched on….both the poster and the weather bureau.

11 hours ago, Damien said:

More great crowds with every chance of setting a new round record with the Parramatta v Wests Tigers match selling well:

Sold out now, needs 26,430 to break the record that figure was incorrect. Unless a heap of members are no shows it should be a record.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Sold out now, needs 26,430 to break the record that figure was incorrect. Unless a heap of members are no shows it should be a record.

Got 28,608.

Edited by Pulga
  • Like 3

new rise.jpg

On 25/03/2024 at 11:56, Sports Prophet said:

Great start. I am tipping minimum 25,000 crowd average for round 4 which will only serve to increase the YTD avg.

A total of 202,401 for the round, giving us an average of 25,311 for the round. I am getting pretty good at this game 😂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

It has been helped by being an Easter round. Looks like we have an all time record of posts above are correct.

Strange that the opening round of 1999 saw a crowd of 104,503 and yet the full round was less than this one.