How can Hull FC be getting so much wrong?

7 hours ago, Gomersall said:

But this youth talent rarely results in top class international players. Who was the last Hull born Hull FC international player? Kirk Yeaman? Being good at youth level doesn’t mean you’ll make it to the top. Mikey Lewis is another one of very few Hull born international players in the last couple of decades to put a time scale on it. For whatever reason Hull born players don’t make the transition to top class pros in the same numbers as the two teams you mentioned. One amateur club in Wigan has produced more GB/England internationals than both professional Hull clubs combined since I’ve been watching the game.

But if you find blood them who knows. My thoughts on Hull is an association with poor overseas players over the last decade. 

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Could the development of local talent be hampered by the fact there is no stepping stone semi pro teams near Hull.

We have some relatively successful amateur teams and then two top flight teams, maybe too many player's get lost with no middle step.

In West Yorkshire and Manchester areas there are a few league 1 and championship clubs where player's can develop with regular game time, if we had one or two league one teams near by in somewhere like Beverly,Goole,Bridlington or even maybe scunthorpe or grimsby we would maybe be able to produce more locally produced player's that become full time professionals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Worzel said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, at least there’s that eh.

I'm guessing the post you quoted was just a fishing effort.

20 minutes ago, up the robins said:

Could the development of local talent be hampered by the fact there is no stepping stone semi pro teams near Hull.

We have some relatively successful amateur teams and then two top flight teams, maybe too many player's get lost with no middle step.

In West Yorkshire and Manchester areas there are a few league 1 and championship clubs where player's can develop with regular game time, if we had one or two league one teams near by in somewhere like Beverly,Goole,Bridlington or even maybe scunthorpe or grimsby we would maybe be able to produce more locally produced player's that become full time professionals.

To be fair, Hull FC have bloodied a fair few promising young kids over the last few years but the club don't seem to be very patient with them and they end up being sent "on loan" to other clubs for "match game time", never to return. I think @Lowedesert will know more about this than me but lads like Liam Harris who scored on his debut v Hull KR at MW in Newcastle but then was sent to York if memory serves and is doing rather well for them some years later. Clubs don't always get it correct, Harris may have struggled in SL but unless you have a time machine it must be difficult to assess how good a young kid will be sometimes.

Having said that, Saints and Wigan do indeed appear to have a time machine. Their ability to bring up young kids and mould them into "one in a generation" players like Jack Welsby is remarkable.

But, of course, given the option of signing and playing for those two clubs who are consistently successful is always going to be more attractive to youngsters coming through and perhaps they put more effort in because of it.

• Like 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

7 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I'm guessing the post you quoted was just a fishing effort.

To be fair, Hull FC have bloodied a fair few promising young kids over the last few years but the club don't seem to be very patient with them and they end up being sent "on loan" to other clubs for "match game time", never to return. I think @Lowedesert will know more about this than me but lads like Liam Harris who scored on his debut v Hull KR at MW in Newcastle but then was sent to York if memory serves and is doing rather well for them some years later. Clubs don't always get it correct, Harris may have struggled in SL but unless you have a time machine it must be difficult to assess how good a young kid will be sometimes.

Having said that, Saints and Wigan do indeed appear to have a time machine. Their ability to bring up young kids and mould them into "one in a generation" players like Jack Welsby is remarkable.

But, of course, given the option of signing and playing for those two clubs who are consistently successful is always going to be more attractive to youngsters coming through and perhaps they put more effort in because of it.

Yeah, I agree with that.  Not going into any more on here though. 

12 hours ago, jacksy said:

You clearly didn't read my post.

Definitely did. You said local youth rarely gets a chance at Hull & Rovers. I think it does at Rovers, but our issue until very recently was that we didn't have a talent pipeline because our youth system itself was poor, so we didn't have much youth to give a chance to (the opposite of Hull in a way)

No, you didn't read my post. Or you didn't understand it. This issue is not FC v KR it's about the amateur game in the city as a whole and how they do not progress.

Gomersall said it better in his post and I cannot be bothered to explain it further. 

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

11 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I think this is the better analysis. I see lots of talent coming through at Hull FC, they should be sustainable in the Wigan/Saints/Leeds mould, but never seem to progress.

Hull FCs pyramid of talent has been light years ahead of Rovers for decades for example, in part because of the longer tenure in Super League but not just because of that. Mikey Lewis wanted to play for Hull, but got rejected too soon. Abdul and Jez Litten both weren't thought to be good enough and allowed to move on. That cluster of 3 players alone had the potential to be a 10-year generational spine for the team, and you'd imagine had they been at Wigan the situation would have evolved very differently. Those are just the ones I've got direct experience of as a Rovers fan, I imagine there must be several others. 

Listening to their fans it's obviously very simple, they just keep hiring ###### coaches or good coaches suddenly turn ###### for them, those hard working, talented players are being hindered by these jokers who suddenly stop being good coaches when they are given the job.

They're doing the right thing by sacking the current incumbent every year, though, one year they will get it right and their players will finally start to blossom.

In all seriousness i was told yesterday by a prominent RL and SL figure that things are worse than what they seem over there and they are 'in a right old mess' whether that meant on or off the pitch i'm not sure but it doesn't sound good either way.