Away day Sunday.

glemiln

Hope that we shall have a good turn out at Oldham in front of the cameras.

Tonight Hunslet lost at home 14-42 to Keighley and Oldham will not wish to fall behind them. Hopefully we can spoil their party!

JORDAN ANDRADE
TOBY BRANNAN
BRAD BRENNAN
TOMMY BRIERLEY
JOE COOPE-FRANKLIN
JADEN DAYES
LEWIS ELSE
MAX FLANAGAN
LUKE FORBER
BEN FORSTER
MYLES-DALTON HARROP
JOE HARTLEY
LEWIS HOLLIDGE

LAMECK JUMA
LUKE NELMES
DAN NIXON

JONNY OPENSHAW
CONNOR RATCLIFFE
MATTY RUDD
DUANE STRAUGHEIR
EMMERSON WHITTEL

10 hours ago, glemiln said:

Hope that we shall have a good turn out at Oldham in front of the cameras.

Tonight Hunslet lost at home 14-42 to Keighley and Oldham will not wish to fall behind them. Hopefully we can spoil their party!

JORDAN ANDRADE
TOBY BRANNAN
BRAD BRENNAN
TOMMY BRIERLEY
JOE COOPE-FRANKLIN
JADEN DAYES
LEWIS ELSE
MAX FLANAGAN
LUKE FORBER
BEN FORSTER
MYLES-DALTON HARROP
JOE HARTLEY
LEWIS HOLLIDGE

LAMECK JUMA
LUKE NELMES
DAN NIXON

JONNY OPENSHAW
CONNOR RATCLIFFE
MATTY RUDD
DUANE STRAUGHEIR
EMMERSON WHITTEL

Hornets doing it tough with the spine of the team really disrupted by injuries but I'm sure that the lads that come in will give 100% .  Not a season breaker this one but I would love to have seen a full strength Hornets side against Oldham. 

A few more points first half for Hornets may have helped, but Oldham had too much experience and power to overcome an encouraging Hornets performance, particularly 1st half.   Losing Else early in the game was a huge blow, especially without Ridyard and McNally.  Hopefully this crucial trio will be available soon….?   Hopefully too, a similar attendance (2000+) for the return game.

Personally, I missed Hornets in our traditional red, white and blue strip, particularly with few such colours evident on screen in the stand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glemiln said:

A few more points first half for Hornets may have helped, but Oldham had too much experience and power to overcome an encouraging Hornets performance, particularly 1st half.   Losing Else early in the game was a huge blow, especially without Ridyard and McNally.  Hopefully this crucial trio will be available soon….?   Hopefully too, a similar attendance (2000+) for the return game.

Personally, I missed Hornets in our traditional red, white and blue strip, particularly with few such colours evident on screen in the stand.

Hardly call it an encouraging performance conceding 50 points..a 15-20 point defeat may have fallen into that category 

• Like 1

Just like last season the Hornets are hit by injuries early.

It must be soul destroying for all the people putting  the hours, commitment, effort and money into the club.

No shortage of effort from a good group of players yesterday and with a full side its different result although still a loss I think !

Oldham lads were too big, strong clever and aggressive but the Hornets lads stuck at it.  At 14-6 Lewis else was starting to unpick their left edge and his injury gutted the team.

Beating Oldham was never on the cards yesterday. Congrats to them and lets get behind the club for what is now a massive test at Workington next week

As a foot note I think that Lewis Hollidge who was thrown into the stand off role did very well, a big strong lad with great prospects.

C'mon the Hornets !!!!!

• Like 3

🤬What a huge blow for Else, team and coach - have to hope that Ridyard and McNally are on the mend…any news?  Obtaining such key, experienced and good players, presumably for a reasonable period, cannot be easy at this time (perhaps the neighbours will be kind!🤔🥲?).  Bradford, anyone?  Good luck to all.

Rank bad luck has ruined a promising start to the season. Three of the next four fixtures look like defeats and Newcastle is not a given if they stack the team with York players. After Else who is having a great season went off Hornets had no threat whatsoever so without key players back it’s going to be a difficult month. I really hope I’m wrong.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Great little player Else, if he had stayed on he would have been a nuisance all afternoon.

Just wish him all the best and hope for a speedy recovery and a return to full fitness.

I’ve always liked him. I thought he was good at Swinton, he always gave us a hard time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe 90 said:

Just like last season the Hornets are hit by injuries early.

It must be soul destroying for all the people putting  the hours, commitment, effort and money into the club.

No shortage of effort from a good group of players yesterday and with a full side its different result although still a loss I think !

Oldham lads were too big, strong clever and aggressive but the Hornets lads stuck at it.  At 14-6 Lewis else was starting to unpick their left edge and his injury gutted the team.

Beating Oldham was never on the cards yesterday. Congrats to them and lets get behind the club for what is now a massive test at Workington next week

As a foot note I think that Lewis Hollidge who was thrown into the stand off role did very well, a big strong lad with great prospects.

C'mon the Hornets !!!!!

Agree and it must be soul destroying having navigated the well documented issues of the past 2-3 years off the pitch, and gotten on the front foot early last year to recruit some quality & experience, while doing so well to retain young prospects like Else, Roden, Nixon, Brannan etc, these injuries are threatening a promising start to the year.

We can only hope for a change of luck soon as by my reckoning and going off the squad numbers on the website thats our 1/6/7/9/13 (McNally (1), Ridyard (6), Else (7), Roden (9), Boardman (13), Wilkinson (14) the entire spine of the side including not one but both hookers) all injured with Kenny Baker having had to retire. 

Deane Meadows (18) another notable closed season signing and experienced forward was also injured against Hunslet along with Ben Killen (17). 

Doing it tough but on the whole the spirt the owners, board, management and squad are showing through adversity is admirable. Once we get somewhere near a full strength side this year we will take some beating.

Stick at it guys, tough times never last but tough people always do!

Edited by HornyHornyHorneeet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Same when Rangi Chase broke his arm. It looked to be a nothing incident.

Yes 20 minutes or so into his Hornets debut and if i remember rightly we had signed Rangi to replace Rob Fairclough a cracking little scrum half who had been signed on a two year contract from Swinton and snapped his ACL at Coventry a few games into his Hornets career and has never played again since.....

We were second best vs Oldham. They were faster, bigger and better with the ball and seemed to have a better gameplan. We had a lot of injuries and seem to have picked up more during the game which is always unfortunate, just hope they are not all serious. Next week vs Workington is an important game and one both teams will want to win to get their season going.

We have not had a decent team since Alan Kilshaw left  2018. He left because of lack of funds. It appears to be similar now. I do no think that it will change under the existing regime. That is sad

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, E.Thickett said:

We have not had a decent team since Alan Kilshaw left  2018. He left because of lack of funds. It appears to be similar now. I do no think that it will change under the existing regime. That is sad

You do realise that back in 2018 the RFL central funding being was c150-175k.

Following the cuts in 2021/22 Hornets receive c18-20k. Who do you think is keeping the club alive and funding shortfalls to get a competitive side on the pitch for us to watch?

I wouldn't imagine experienced players like Gregg McNally and Martyn Ridyard play for nothing.

Maybe one day you may post something positive on this forum, but I wont hold my breath. 

Edited by HornyHornyHorneeet
  • Like 2

But everyone else in the division faces the same challenges re the miniscule central funding. 

The current injury list is devastating but its now something like 16 consecutive losses against traditional clubs (lancs, yorks, cumbria) dating back to 2022, long before these injuries to core players.

We just havent been competitive over a long period. Lets hope that changes once we get some relief from the current injury situation.

Workington are also in the middle of an injury crisis so the next game might be a bit more of a level playing field so to speak. Come on Hornets…lets end that streak.

13 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

But everyone else in the division faces the same challenges re the miniscule central funding. 

The current injury list is devastating but its now something like 16 consecutive losses against traditional clubs (lancs, yorks, cumbria) dating back to 2022, long before these injuries to core players.

We just havent been competitive over a long period. Lets hope that changes once we get some relief from the current injury situation.

Workington are also in the middle of an injury crisis so the next game might be a bit more of a level playing field so to speak. Come on Hornets…lets end that streak.

Not really sure of the relevance of the traditional clubs thing but certainly take your point and agree re winning more games in general and improving our position. Hopefully once key players are back we can really start to see the best of this team.

In terms of traditional clubs, North Wales are Wales only in name only and only in Wales on match days I'm told. They train in St Helens by all accounts and their players are all pretty much from traditional RL areas so hardly a development club. They have been one of the better performing League One sides now for a number of years finishing above Hornets and other traditional clubs as you call them, reaching last years grand final so hardly a push over, yet we beat them at home and narrowly lost in Chester to them last year.

Midlands also only go to Midlands on a match day, have recruited a top coach in Mark Dunning ex Bradford and by all accounts are spending significantly more than Hornets and other traditional clubs this year on players primarily from traditional areas. I don't think many will have an easy day out in Birmingham this year and our opening day win could prove top be a good one.

The general consensus both on here and at the game following the narrow two point loss to Hunslet was had Ridyard played we would have won on goal kicking alone. 

Workington is never an easy place to go and I looked at League Express and it would appear their injury situation is easing by the names that played on Saturday. They have recruited some experienced Championship talent this year in the likes of Jarrod Sammut and the big centre from Whitehaven Chris Taylor, and on Friday announced a Tongan international and Australian centre as a big double signing.

I'm realistic and just hope we can get 17 bodies on the park and go and have a good dig on Sunday and you never know.

• Like 2

Just noticed two short term signings to help fill some of the gaps. Looks like the management are ''burning the midnight oil'' to try and put out a competitive side out this weekend. C'mon the Hornets !!

• Like 2