Widnes (H) - Sunday 7th April, 3pm

We were still in the game at half time and 12 nil didn't do justice for our efforts. Their 1st half tries being the only 2 chances they really had when we switched off on our own line. 

Our own worst enemy in the second half too much dropped and certainly didn't use the wind at our backs like we could have. 

Based on the last 3 games Im still optimistic that when we play those teams tipped for a bottom half finish like us we can get the results. 🙏🤞

• Like 2

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

Thought O’Connor,Turner and Rush were big losses for us,especially in the kicking game. Widnes were nothing special in my opinion,their bench made a difference,especially Fozard who caused us plenty of problems. I still believe that this team can get enough wins for us to avoid relegation,but we’ll see. Anyway we go on the road now for our next 3 games so we’ll see where we are at the end of the month. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Don’t mind getting beat and will always applaud a classy dominant side. Can anyone tell me what special things Widnes did on the day? Every try was soft. 

Their forwards were largely dominant and half backs were more active. Not a special side as many have said, but they beat us relatively easily.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Their forwards were largely dominant and half backs were more active. Not a special side as many have said, but they beat us relatively easily.

Looks even worse now I have just watched lowlights package. Do we do weights, wrestle etc? We were out and out soft. Missing some stick it up em pack members. 

1 hour ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Looks even worse now I have just watched lowlights package. Do we do weights, wrestle etc? We were out and out soft. Missing some stick it up em pack members. 

Couldn't agree more, left disappointed and these lowlights make it worse. 3 games away from home could be a tough ask for a win. Strange to have music over the top of the footage...

Edited by dewtoomuxh
better grammar

16 minutes ago, dewtoomuxh said:

Couldn't agree more, left disappointed and these lowlights make it worse. 3 games away from home could be a tough ask for a win. Strange to have music over the top of the footage...

Yep. I’ll still be at Barrow next week shouting them on though. 

There are no easy games in the Championship and as Swinton’s recent victory away to Toulouse proves anyone can beat anyone on the day.

The most important thing is that we stay in the fight or arm wrestle as they call it these days for as long as we can in each and every game. Just as we did against Batley.

Even against Widnes (with our missing players) we weren’t out of it at half time. The concession of the early 2nd half try and then us missing a kick to touch from a penalty (they scored with that possession) was really poor and sealed the defeat.

It will be equally as tough against Barrow on Sunday but winnable if the attitude is right.

Edited by Rambo
  • Like 5
rambo.gif

Having looked at the highlights, I remain convinced that the wrong decision was given in relation to Lewis Carr being stripped of the ball early in the second half. IF it wasn't a steal in a 2-man tackle then it was at least knocked out by Fleming and the ball went forward.   At best, a penalty to RAMS - at worst a scrum with RAMS head and feed.

Instead, it was 'play-on', Widnes scored and the game was effectively gone.......... Fine margins, eh ??

• Like 4

On 09/04/2024 at 17:00, Therein73 said:

Having looked at the highlights, I remain convinced that the wrong decision was given in relation to Lewis Carr being stripped of the ball early in the second half. IF it wasn't a steal in a 2-man tackle then it was at least knocked out by Fleming and the ball went forward.   At best, a penalty to RAMS - at worst a scrum with RAMS head and feed.

Instead, it was 'play-on', Widnes scored and the game was effectively gone.......... Fine margins, eh ??

Hi T73. Regarding the match v Widnes. You say fine margins. Ok we conceded four try’s against the early season table toppers. Try 1 conceded a penalty in Widnes 20 and they had the wind. Gained approximately 40m with touch kick and a few tackles later Langtree slips a ball out in two man tackle. Two men both experienced and basically poor effort in defence. Two later  try’s by the hooker were just telegraphed pee takers. You are correct about the try re Carr it was a blatant two man ball strip. In conclusion I ask again “What special things did table topping Widnes do to beat us”? Answer absolutely nothing. We were soft. Also noticed in defensive contact we had some players just laying prone on the floor. The two occasions I recall were both DR players. Not sure if Ian Watson coaches that. Scramble to your feet asap without giving away a penalty with a view to at least making yourself a nuisance towards the attacking player. A classic example was the hooker at acting half near our line and stepping over the prone player before scoring. I stand by my original assessment that we were soft all across the park on Sunday. You have to earn fine margins.

• Like 2