Sun 14th Apr: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Please stick to discussing the match in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

SUNDAY 14th APRIL
Keighley Cougars v North Wales Crusaders KO 15:00
Midlands Hurricanes v Hunslet KO 14:00
at Olympic Legacy Stadium, Sheffield
Oldham v Cornwall KO 13:00
Rochdale Hornets v Newcastle Thunder KO 15:00

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Please stick to discussing the match in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

SUNDAY 14th APRIL
Keighley Cougars v North Wales Crusaders KO 15:00
Midlands Hurricanes v Hunslet KO 14:00
at Olympic Legacy Stadium, Sheffield
Oldham v Cornwall KO 13:00
Rochdale Hornets v Newcastle Thunder KO 15:00

OK I'll KO this week.

Cougars by 20

Hunslet by 10

Oldham by 70

Hornets by 50

expecting a couple of big scores this week.

Keighley Cougars 34 v 12 North Wales Crusaders
Midlands Hurricanes 22 v 18 Hunslet at Olympic Legacy Stadium, Sheffield (handy as I'm in Leeds the day before)
Oldham 66 v 18 Cornwall
Rochdale Hornets 34 v 12 Newcastle Thunder

Wins for North Wales Crusaders (just), Hunslet (just) Oldham and Hornets.

Midlands could be the surprise result and they could come up with a win; they certainly pushed us all the way at Eirias Park.

Cant see anything but a win for Oldham and Hornets, although Newcastle did come strong in the second half last weekend.

Can Crusaders beat Keighley at Cougar Park? We've not got a great record there and realistically its a big ask, but not impossible. We'll have to be at our very best if we do want to win and cut out the silly penalties and unforced errors.

On 12/04/2024 at 14:41, gogledd said:

Wins for North Wales Crusaders (just), Hunslet (just) Oldham and Hornets.

Midlands could be the surprise result and they could come up with a win; they certainly pushed us all the way at Eirias Park.

Cant see anything but a win for Oldham and Hornets, although Newcastle did come strong in the second half last weekend.

Can Crusaders beat Keighley at Cougar Park? We've not got a great record there and realistically its a big ask, but not impossible. We'll have to be at our very best if we do want to win and cut out the silly penalties and unforced errors.

I thought Crusaders were the stronger team in the 1st half and should have gone in ahead, rather than level. 2 tries to Cougars in the first ten minutes of the 2nd half decided the match. It was good to see Patrick Ah Van still trundling up and down : I thought he would be collecting his old age pension by now.

• Like 2

There's no doubt the Hurricanes are competitive but that's a disappointing result today after leading for the majority of the game. There's ambitions to get in the playoffs and they've invested a lot in the coaching team and squad so it's a disappointing start to the season. Sadly looks like they'll finish roughly where they were last season. Hard to build a fan base in a new area with a losing team 

19 hours ago, Spotty Herbert said:

I thought Crusaders were the stronger team in the 1st half and should have gone in ahead, rather than level. 2 tries to Cougars in the first ten minutes of the 2nd half decided the match. It was good to see Patrick Ah Van still trundling up and down : I thought he would be collecting his old age pension by now.

Good summary...plus the Cougars players were much more adept in appealing for penalties...the count in the second have seemed way more in favour of Cougars, including 6-agains....and I remain unconvinced that Cougars were not held up for their 4th try. It seems our second half discipline is our Achilles heel, something I'm sure our caching staff will be working on. We're still in 3rd place after 4 games and I'm sure we'll be looking to make it 4 from 5 at home next weekend.

16 minutes ago, gogledd said:

Good summary...plus the Cougars players were much more adept in appealing for penalties...the count in the second have seemed way more in favour of Cougars, including 6-agains....and I remain unconvinced that Cougars were not held up for their 4th try. It seems our second half discipline is our Achilles heel, something I'm sure our caching staff will be working on. We're still in 3rd place after 4 games and I'm sure we'll be looking to make it 4 from 5 at home next weekend.

I thought there were a number of 50 50 decisions in the 2nd half that the ref had to "guess". To be fair, I didn't feel he favoured either side. I was disappointed with the way both teams played with the wind and slope in their favour, but I think the key difference was the impact of the interchange benches. Keighley's, particularly Bishop at dummy half and Parker in the middle, was more effective than the Crusaders.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

I thought there were a number of 50 50 decisions in the 2nd half that the ref had to "guess". To be fair, I didn't feel he favoured either side. I was disappointed with the way both teams played with the wind and slope in their favour, but I think the key difference was the impact of the interchange benches. Keighley's, particularly Bishop at dummy half and Parker in the middle, was more effective than the Crusaders.

Your assessment is probably less bias than mine, to be fair. A supporter is always going to be skewed towards his own team!

• Like 1