Match thread: Championship Round 5. Featherstone Rovers v Widnes. Sunday 21st April 2024.

3 hours ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

How did tanner get on? It's good that we are getting some of our pack back! Once we have a full pack will lay a good platform for turner/lacans

Another blow with Springer getting injured. 

Lacans wont be back while June

Springer only tweaked his calf, possibly back next week

Tanner went alright in his spells but needs minutes - thought yesterday was Komanos best game for us 

2 hours ago, FR23 said:

Corey hall as signed with Cas 

"Featherstone Rovers can confirm that they have today concluded a trade with Castleford which sees Corey Hall move to the Tigers and Jack Broadbent to Featherstone".

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see if Broadbent is made available on DR (assuming he doesn't get into the HKR squad), otherwise looks like another chance for Gorman.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Seriously though, it will be interesting to see if Broadbent is made available on DR (assuming he doesn't get into the HKR squad),

Apparently the robins have big plans for broadbent after this loan he's got  a three-year deal with Hull KR from 2025, keeping him at Sewell Group Craven Park until the end of the 2027.and Willie Peters spoke of his excitement to have Jack join the club for 2024 and beyond: ‘Jack’s a talented player with his best years still ahead of him. I’ve watched Jack a lot over the last couple of years and he’s certainly a player who can play many positions with real quality which definitely appeals to us. We look forward to developing Jack into the player we believe he can be,

So  I cant see the point of sending him out to play in the championship when he could have stayed in SL with C *$ and signed for the Robins  at end of season

8 minutes ago, POR said:

So  I cant see the point of sending him out to play in the championship when he could have stayed in SL with C *$ and signed for the Robins  at end of season

They want him as a long-term, versatile option for their backs. I'm sure that he'll play plenty of games for them but it might depend on injuries and suspension. With Hiku, Evalds, Burgess, Opacic, Gildart and Hall all fighting for a place in positions 1 to 5, he's not going to be guaranteed a starting place.

52 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

They want him as a long-term, versatile option for their backs. I'm sure that he'll play plenty of games for them but it might depend on injuries and suspension. With Hiku, Evalds, Burgess, Opacic, Gildart and Hall all fighting for a place in positions 1 to 5, he's not going to be guaranteed a starting place.

That's al true PH but my point is Willie Peters said  I’ve watched Jack a lot over the last couple of years so if he's not getting game time why is it better to keep watching him in the championship rather than SL Having said that now he's at the Robins   Jack Broadbent Fullback. Centre, Winger and Standoff would be my first choice for DR and it will be interesting to see if he's made available

22 minutes ago, POR said:

That's al true PH but my point is Willie Peters said  I’ve watched Jack a lot over the last couple of years so if he's not getting game time why is it better to keep watching him in the championship rather than SL

If they had the opportunity to sign him now (and before the May 1 deadline) why would they not do so given he's out of contract at the end of this season, rather than wait and potentially get involved in a bidding war with other SL clubs?

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If they had the opportunity to sign him now (and before the May 1 deadline) why would they not do so given he's out of contract at the end of this season, rather than wait and potentially get involved in a bidding war with other SL clubs?

Plus he’s available if they pick up any injuries.

From the Hull KR website: "Hull KR are excited to confirm exciting utility back, Jack Broadbent has joined the club from Castleford Tigers on a season-long loan with immediate effect while Corey Hall and Louis Senior have in-turn joined Castleford on loan for the remainder of 2024."
So, I don't think you can take a loan player on dual reg.

It's a funny one. As he will be a Hull KR signed player in 2025 then why is he on loan there now rather than a straight transfer? Very confusing!

45 minutes ago, fevnut said:

From the Hull KR website: "Hull KR are excited to confirm exciting utility back, Jack Broadbent has joined the club from Castleford Tigers on a season-long loan with immediate effect while Corey Hall and Louis Senior have in-turn joined Castleford on loan for the remainder of 2024."
So, I don't think you can take a loan player on dual reg.

It's a funny one. As he will be a Hull KR signed player in 2025 then why is he on loan there now rather than a straight transfer? Very confusing!

I don't know if this is a different situation or if the rules have changed, but when Luke Briscoe went on loan to Leeds from us in 2019, we were able to recall him on DR terms.
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/rhinos-loan-briscoe-oEC7a/

As for the reason for the loan, could be any number of reasons, but maybe related to salary cap? Jordan Abdull is also officially on loan from HKR to Catalans this year but I don't think anyone is expecting him to return to HKR.

On 23/04/2024 at 15:22, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't know if this is a different situation or if the rules have changed, but when Luke Briscoe went on loan to Leeds from us in 2019, we were able to recall him on DR terms.

As for the reason for the loan, could be any number of reasons, but maybe related to salary cap? Jordan Abdull is also officially on loan from HKR to Catalans this year but I don't think anyone is expecting him to return to HKR.

According to my records, in 2019 Luke was actually a Leeds registered player. Here are my notes about the very complex series of moves between Leeds and Fev.

LB.jpg

Edited by fevnut

On 23/04/2024 at 15:22, The Phantom Horseman said:

Op Rule C 1.22.2 A loan player may only be placed on DR by the loanee club with consent of the RFL

8 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes I had the year wrong, it was 2018 not 2019 that Luke went on loan to Leeds from us.

In 2018 he didn't go on loan to Leeds, they signed him and hence he could return on DR

7 hours ago, fevnut said:

In 2018 he didn't go on loan to Leeds, they signed him and hence he could return on DR

It was certainly an opaque deal...it was widely announced as being a loan deal, including on both teams' websites, and via Sky, the BBC etc, although I think the received wisdom on forumland at the time was that there was a bit of smoke-and-mirrors in the wording

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12211/11410198/leeds-rhinos-sign-luke-briscoe-on-loan-from-featherstone-rovers

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/44536315.amp

and even from the RFL:
"Leeds Rhinos have signed their former player Luke Briscoe on loan from Featherstone Rovers"