v Doncaster (H)

Raider83

26 minutes ago, RSN said:

The RFL needs to pick up on that touch judge as it isn't great. I've got no problem getting decisions wrong, but he actively provokes people which is unprofessional. 

Regardless of the touch judge we got battered today. Our forwards tackling was horrendous apart from Josh Woods. They kept us in the game with poor completion first half but second half they completed and dominated us. 

As we were losing in the middle we started forcing poor passes which led to the score line getting blown out of proportion. 

I thought Doncaster were a lot better than I expected and are surprised at their first few results with the quality they have, but we were poor in many areas of the game. 

We were well beat by 2 of the best teams in the league. Prior to that we comfortably beat York and lost by 6 to Sheffield. Halifax WISH they got that result. For a promoted team I'd say we're not doing bad.

• Like 2

Maybe the officials find it amusing that fans are shouting for a forward pass when the ball wasn't even passed. Find it embarrassing standing on the popular side listening to the abuse people are shouting to the officials. Difference is officials are impartial and fans are not. Barrows performances have been poor so far got lucky last week and lack ideas. No line speed in defence and concide far to many yards every set.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were terrible today. Absolutely terrible. No go forward, no aggressive defence, slow,  lethargic,  should I carry on. ??? FFS what is wrong here. To cap it all mad head Johnston gives a cheap shot to their number 6, who completely outplayed him I  even single way, and got sent off and probably banned. Brilliant!!!  I think the Coaching team needs to have a serious word with themselves. It's all well and good playing pretty expansive rugby but we actually make no yards doing it. Rant over and super p...s.d off.

On saying all the above Doncaster were really really good and should have won by more

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were bloody awful today.

Whoever got to pick the 'Champagne Moment' weren't exactly spoiled for choice.

Are they allowed to ask for a rollover? That's what the team did. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UpTheRaiders said:

Horrendous performance from us think there was only Forber and Gillam that can come out of that with their heads held high. The touch judge on the popular side kept turning and grinning at the fans when things went against us, coincidentally the same one that caused issues with Barrow at Widnes. I understand that officiating is a tough job but I'm getting sick of games being ruined by officials when we pay good money to watch rugby.

Shouldn't blame the officials, you were awful today.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John cass said:

Shouldn't blame the officials, you were awful today.. 

Did you read the first sentence?

No one on here has blamed the officials for us losing

Looking at their side today Doncaster have a good budget behind them and a big, experienced squad. They’ve had 3 of the toughest possible games before today so were in a false position IMO

On the other hand I think we’re in for a similar season to last 

• Like 2

What is it with the 2nd half for Barrow teams?! 

Rugby: Last week: 1st half Barrow 26 - Dewsbury 4:  2nd half Barrow 1 - Dewsbury 16.

Today: 1st half Barrow 6 - Doncaster 10:  2nd half Barrow 0 - Doncaster 28.

Soccer: Yesterday: 1st half Barrow 2 - Doncaster 0:  2nd half Barrow 0 - Doncaster 4.

You can't only play until half-time....

Edited by 2Cents
  • Like 1

Notwithstanding the awful performance, I found this on the official RFL site :

Touch Judge 11. Each Touch Judge shall remain in touch, one on each side of, and near to, the playing field except:–

(a) when judging kicks at goal (see Section 6) and

(b) when reporting a player’s misconduct which has escaped the notice of the Referee.

What on earth was the touch judge on the popular side doing? He was running up and down the pitch, two metres in field for practically the whole game. 

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Touch Judge 11. Each Touch Judge shall remain in touch, one on each side of, and near to, the playing field except:–

(b) when reporting a player’s misconduct which has escaped the notice of the Referee.

What on earth was the touch judge on the popular side doing? He was running up and down the pitch, two metres in field for practically the whole game. 

And this has what to do with barrows performance? The touch judge has been on the course and passed all relevant training. If he was stood on the sideline or in the stands he can still flag for barrows passes into the crowd 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, pmac said:

If that is the case its down to being not fit.

We have scored 1 solitary point and conceded 44 points in the last two 2nd halves - 80 minutes of play at HOME.

It's almost impossible for that to happen - something is rotten in Denmark Cresta!

Edited by 2Cents
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, liam12 said:

And this has what to do with barrows performance? The touch judge has been on the course and passed all relevant training. If he was stood on the sideline or in the stands he can still flag for barrows passes into the crowd 

Absolutely nothing to do with Barrow's dreadful performance.

I'm just asking wtf was the touch judge doing? I found it very odd. 

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 1

WOW!! Tough day today..... And there's no way we can blame the officials.

We were poor, very poor but I do feel sorry for the lads who tried, in particular Gillam, Forber, Emslie to name a few.

But for me, Greenwood wouldn't get in an amateur side!! Way wood passes, knock on's, high risk play in our own red zone,  in attack hasn't ever broke the line of the defence.. and seems worried making a hit up. The list goes on. 

Brad Walker! Another shocker. No attacking threat, shocking passes. One pass was that forward i thought he was trying to kick a 40 -20.........

As a team, we looked dejected  from the start. poor line speed in defence. In attack, the forwards worked hard but no inspiration from the half backs to direct the team.

As from any positives from today? Luckily it was only 38 points they put into us...........

• Like 3
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

We did not look motivated from the start, they kicked off penned us in our half and kept us there. We had no leadership that I could see. The wingers/fullback must be pig sick of having to take the ball up the middle only to get smashed by forwards and occasionally see it on the wing when it has been passed laterally leaving them with no room. Desperately need a leader in the pack and a couple of half-backs who can run a game. What is being said/done at half time to lead to such a downturn in performance in the second half? From previous performances I feared the worst and those fears were realised. It is going to be a long season unless things can be changed around quickly. Do we need a fresh set of eyes in to look at things and assist Cresta? Compare how we were when Carl Foster was leading the pack and had an assistant coaching role - he is sorely missed.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dave W said:

If it was the same touch judge as we had at Widnes he was doing the same thing then. 

• Like 2

https://www.barrowrlfc.com/match-report/report-barrow-raiders-6-38-doncaster/

In the forwards, Emslie (& Stack) out for next week. Greenwood should be dropped.

I'd like to see Ogunwole and Bedward be given some game time, if only for experience sake.

In the backs, Costello is out, expect S. Toal will replace him.

Brad Walker should be dropped, he contributes little and Jackson brought in.

We need some creativity in the half-backs as we currently have none.

Might as well make changes after yesterday's diabolical performance, as we'll likely be pasted at Sheffield anyway.

Edited by 2Cents
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Dave W said:

Many touch judges do this in the Championship nowadays. Some fans get particularly irate about it but I don't really know why, as long as they don't interfere with play. These are often the same fans who complain about the linesmen (sic) not putting their flags up for offside.  🙄

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

58 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Many touch judges do this in the Championship nowadays. Some fans get particularly irate about it but I don't really know why, as long as they don't interfere with play. These are often the same fans who complain about the linesmen (sic) not putting their flags up for offside.  🙄

If this is the case, the laws need changing.

I've certainly never seen anything like what he was doing in 45 years watching the game. It just irritated me. 

Given how badly Barrow were playing, I wasn't in the best of moods anyway without him prancing around. 

At least my chips never got crapped on by a gull, so I'll always have that as a positive to focus on. 

• Like 1