Ryan Hall

On 21/04/2024 at 11:55, Gooleboy said:

Maybe so, but that beggars the question, why let him go in the first place?

You don't ask GH for more than he thinks you're worth. Maybe he's coming back for less but with prospects. Who know? Us mere mortals never will 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

50 odd tries in 80 odd games for KR is right up there with any decent SL winger - even at 36. No brainer for me - he's a better option than Leeds' other wing options currently (aside from Handley obvs) and a final stint at his boyhood club will make sure the fire stays in the belly for him. In future, i'd say he becomes Rhinos Chris Radlinski.

What he’ll play for free. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WN83 said:

One issue I'd have around Leeds recruitment is what seems to be a lack of long term planning in it. They got Ackers and Croft and on the face of it, they looked good signings but they were opportunities that unexpectedly opened up because of Salfords financial problems. Who were the alternative options? Did they want a hooker? They had O'Connor and Johnson. Who was going to be Austins replacement if Croft hadn't become available? Last year they had Austin in the halves alongside Sezer and they signed Frawley and eventually they got in Croft but I'd have expected moves to replace both would've been done well in advance of the end of the season, yet Croft was done post season. They signed Fusitua up for another year and that has gone as everyone would've expected I guess. The moves to hoover up a number of players from the Championship/League One before 2023 like Hooley, Roberts, Ruan etc also confused me. It just felt like they were throwing a few darts and hoping one hit the bull. 

It all just feels a bit scatter gun to me and a bit like they're just keeping their fingers crossed at times that something will crop up. To me Leeds are that big a club, that if they spend the same on players as clubs like HKR, Huddersfield, Wakefield etc, they should still have the better squad because if they offer a certain player a similar wage to that offered by one of those other clubs, I'd expect they'd choose Leeds because of their standing in the game but they just don't seem to be in for anyone where there may be competition. 

I totally agree regarding the recruitment strategy. It seems all over the place and the on field performances match that with no really recognisable style of play either. Power and authority at the club over these matters seems to be almost deliberately diffused and confused even.

I worry about the "young player" strategy too. We have had I think just one or two consistently top level young player come through in a decade that has lasted - Handley and Oledski. Newman keeps either threatening to leave or showing his body is too frail, Gannon sadly is looking increasingly like another Stevie Ward with concussions, Holroyd is another who is injured more often than not, any other clubs making big plays for Cam Smith either? It seems every year we are talking about another "young crop" but they are either being relied on too much too soon (see Gannon and Simpson getting injured) or actually aren't that good at all (see every year for the past decade). I appreciate not everyone is going to make it, but I've been hearing the same things like "ooh this kid is good" for years as we are now about say Riley Lumb. I think seeing is believing frankly.

Is there a problem with Leeds' coaching and recruitment in the academy and youth levels too? I think there has been a massive issue in progression to the first team, a legacy of having a pretty consistent team for a decade or so.

Eddie Rombo signing back up to play the opposite wing berth? he can still run 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile