Match thread: Championship Round 6. Whitehaven v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 28th April 2024.

So, good to get the win over Widnes and we need to keep the win going at Whitehaven.

From last week's 17: It looks like Gadwin Springer has had a recurrence of his previous injury. He only did 10 minutes so that's a blow. I can't think of any other injuries from Sunday. However, Jayden Tanner returned, and Wellington Albert is ready. And Nathan Massey can't be far off.

We are still waiting on injuries to Lacans and Hardcastle.

With Harris and Farrar at Hull, Tomlinson, Wacokecoke, Roberts and Arnold are also not getting game time.

In terms of DR, we've used 8 different players so far, but we know that Hall (sold) and Reynolds (suspended) are unavailable. Perhaps Gorman will be back? Butterworth looked impressive. And in the middles Aydin, Fishwick and Tennison seem to be available on rotation.

Cumbria's never easy, but we will be favourites for the two points.

Squad announced on Friday.

One area of difficulty at the moment is the rotation of our middles. I think there have been at least 4 games already this season where one of them has gone off at a fairly early stage with an injury and hasn't been able to return which has meant others picking up the slack. As a knock-on effect, we are now seeing multiple players in that position returning from injury and perhaps lacking a little in game fitness; I thought that for a period in the second half against Widnes we looked like we were struggling for energy defensively in the middle of the park.

Another knock-on effect is that Addy has been asked to do huge minutes nearly every week, and at times he has understandably looked to struggle with his workload. He's 33 years old and if he keeps playing 80 minutes he's going to be mentally and physically shot by the second half of the season. To me Tanner looked in need of more minutes on Sunday which was understandable, Bussey is still working his way back, and Massey will be in the same boat.

I'm still not sure what our best pack line-up is and I doubt Fordy is either, We're still finding out about Tanner and we haven't seen much of Massey either. With Kamano continuing to look solid, there's probably not much between quite a few of them behind Gadwin (when he's fit).

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

After watching the game back I thought tanner when fit will be great for us. So will be good to give him the time. Bussey slotted straight back in and did a stint. Mo for me should be on the teamsheet consistently. He's looked at home from the NCL step up

• Like 1

There is a club update on the Rovers official website from Martin Vickers for those interested.

Surely if Hardy is not fit you move wynne into the centres & Wacokecoke comes back into the fold? Id be suprised if Gorman plays for us again.

Think this is a game where we may get away with changes & rotation, after a good start, Haven have played very average the last couple of games, hopefully the weather is decent up there at the weekend

Edited by elppaxr2i

2 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Surely if Hardy is not fit you move wynne into the centres & Wacokecoke comes back into the fold? Id be suprised if Gorman plays for us again.

It's hard to know what Fordy will do with Wacokecoke now. By no means all of the tries leaked down our right side have been his fault, but he did seem to have a couple of howlers in him most games and his decision making was once again poor in the Bradford game. He undoubtedly has some talent but I'm not sure we can keep playing him and hoping his defence and decision making improves. But I guess if there is a game to play him in Whitehaven might be the one.

I'm assuming Hull KR won't want to reward Broadbent for signing what is effectively a 4-year deal by asking him to play in the Championship at Whitehaven a few days later. There are now seven players realistically fighting for five back 5 spots at Hull KR but I doubt they'd want the likes of Gildart or Opacic dropping down to the Championship. I'm not sure why Gorman wouldn't be considered a candidate for us again? He's not the biggest but has been pretty solid I reckon and his speed helped create a try against Bradford, and if he played it would mean we wouldn't need to asky Addy to kick goals as well as play 80 minutes.

For me Wynne did enough against Widnes to keep the starting right wing slot and I think when he's fit again Josh might find himself back in the centre as he's our most reliable defender there.

24 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

.I'm assuming Hull KR won't want to reward Broadbent for signing what is effectively a 4-year deal by asking him to play in the Championship at Whitehaven a few days later. .

Broadbent in robins squad for wigan game but looking at reports Jack joined the club from Castleford Tigers on a season-long loan so by my reckoning he's still a C^$ player  so I would have thought Robins can't send him to us on DR

4 minutes ago, POR said:

Broadbent in robins squad for wigan game but looking at reports Jack joined the club from Castleford Tigers on a season-long loan so by my reckoning he's still a C^$ player  so I would have thought Robins can't send him to us on DR

Yes, seems very unlikely. Butterworth & Tennison also in their squad but whether they play remains to be seen looking at who else they have included.

1 hour ago, Catflap said:

For me, we've beaten Wakefield and Widnes with Bowes filling in at half back, so with Whitehaven, Halifax, Dewsbury and Barrow coming up, I don't see why we can't get by with Bowes (or even switch Aekins again) until Lacans is fit again.

Besides, I think Bradford are searching for a half back even more desperately than we are and might have a bit more money to throw at one right now (and the article does suggest they are offering him to "SL teams" so the likes of Hull might be interested).

• Like 1

With the money he would require a no from me for Richardson.He isn't a better player than Reynolds so i agree with TPH lets get through the next few weeks with what we have. And hope we can get Reynolds back for  a spell.Although Aekins is not the answer at 6 i would rather play him there and bring in Gorman at full back.I thought he did a decent job there at Batley.

• Like 1

Beat me to it MLP. As well as the expected return of Louix Gorman, Connor Barley who's a threequarter is in on DR along with Reiss Butterworth. So it's going to be a pretty makeshift back line.

At least with Springer missing we still have a bit of depth in our pack and no HKR middles/back rows are included.

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Beat me to it MLP. As well as the expected return of Louix Gorman, Connor Barley who's a threequarter is in on DR along with Reiss Butterworth. So it's going to be a pretty makeshift back line.

At least with Springer missing we still have a bit of depth in our pack and no HKR middles/back rows are included.

Gorman at FB, Barley on the wing and Wynne at centre??

Harsh on Wacokecoke, and Harris will feel he'll never get a chance. It's a pity Hardcastle is still out.

Springer is a loss, but a fit again Tanner, Bussey and hopefully now Massey can cover that.

9 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Gorman at FB, Barley on the wing and Wynne at centre??

Harsh on Wacokecoke, and Harris will feel he'll never get a chance. It's a pity Hardcastle is still out.

Springer is a loss, but a fit again Tanner, Bussey and hopefully now Massey can cover that.

Not 100% sure what we'll do in terms of Barley/Wynne  butall things being equal maybe we'll play Barley at centre and Wynne on the wing, based on the fact that Wynne looks likely to be our regular right wing going forward. Barley's 6'3" and can play either position.

1 hour ago, POR said:

It will be interesting to see who starts in the front row with Jack now Massey Albert Kamano Tanner and Roberts are in the mix

Yes. Roberts would be the one of those six that most people would choose to miss out if we play two starting and three on the bench. Once Springer's back, plus Fishwick and Tennison on DR, the competition for a spot gets more intense.

I'd start with say Albert and Massey. Rotate with Kamano and Tanner and use Bussey off the bench in rotation with Addy.

Possibly Butterworth will exchange with Bowes, as last week, with Jones then switching to the halves.