NRL expansion (Merged Threads)

15 hours ago, Damien said:

They are a 2nd tier team playing in a second tier competition.

At the end of the day ticket sales will be a small percentage of the income if this comes off and there is no reason why they can't be kept low. Even at existing NRL clubs they are a small part of the income.

The major parts of this for any PNG bid are the PNG and Australian government subsidies and obviously NRL central funding. If that isn't enough then it won't happen. And enough is far more than about worrying about raising an extra million or two with high ticket prices to locals.

Non NRL subsidies makes up more than 50% of almost all NRL club’s profits.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Very nice. It is a heck of a carrot to clubs to support expansion and makes it difficult to say no when they won't be financially worse off.

Sure is and all and makes you think that it all but guarantees the PNG bid.

Going to look bad if a tax payer funded PNG bid is preferred to  NZ2 and Perth bids. And players being treated differently by the Australian Tax Office according to who they play for….The federal governments treasurer’s constituency is in Logan - from a law and order perspective its SE Queenslands PNG. 

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

Going to look bad if a tax payer funded PNG bid is preferred to  NZ2 and Perth bids. And players being treated differently by the Australian Tax Office according to who they play for….The federal governments treasurer’s constituency is in Logan - from a law and order perspective its SE Queenslands PNG. 

They already are. Cows players would be in Tax Zone B which gives them a small tax discount.

I crunched the tax numbers last week. A player on $A500K will be paying roughly the same income tax in PNG and OZ. Below that, the PNG player would pay more. On $A300K the player would pay about $40K more tax in PNG.

• Like 1

The sooner NZ2 happens and the warriors get an upgrade&expansion for mount smart the better.

The warriors need a stadium with at least a minimum 30k capacity and preferably one with 35k capacity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John bird said:

The sooner NZ2 happens and the warriors get an upgrade&expansion for mount smart the better.

The warriors need a stadium with at least a minimum 30k capacity and preferably one with 35k capacity.

Mt Smart won’t get any upgrades. The long mooted Auckland City stadium will happen at some stage and will house both the Warriors and the Blues in a first class stadium much bigger than 30k.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Mt Smart won’t get any upgrades. The long mooted Auckland City stadium will happen at some stage and will house both the Warriors and the Blues in a first class stadium much bigger than 30k.

Is this replacing Eden Park?

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Supposedly

On the same site or different location?

you’d have to imagine any new stadium replacing Eden Park would have to have a minimum capacity of 50k for all blacks tests.

49 minutes ago, John bird said:

On the same site or different location?

you’d have to imagine any new stadium replacing Eden Park would have to have a minimum capacity of 50k for all blacks tests.

Interestingly, have a look at what percentage of All Blacks tests are played at Eden Park.

The proposal is an inner city stadium in the heart of various entertainment districts.

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Supposedly

I thought Eden Park was remaining as a bigger stadium option, its not that long ago since a fortune was spent on that took and it doubles as a Cricket ground. Plus it holds 50k.

Any new rectangular stadium would then see the Warriors, Auckland Blues etc play in it.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I thought Eden Park was remaining as a bigger stadium option, its not that long ago since a fortune was spent on that took and it doubles as a Cricket ground. Plus it holds 50k.

Any new rectangular stadium would then see the Warriors, Auckland Blues etc play in it.

Maybe it is. I know the stadium gets pretty little use as it is. Take the Blues away and it gets near on nothing. I thought I remembered reading Eden Park was gonna disappear. Maybe that was just some random chat I was having.

3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

What's the target for NRL and total of clubs?

V’landys is often quoted saying 20 teams by the end of the decade.

anymore after that would possibly mean the introduction of conferences.

42 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Thought that myself too. Thank u

No worries mate.

judging by his statements they are going to announce the name of team #18 and the date of entry as well as the dates for teams #19&#20 all at the same time.

Looks like teams #19&#20 won’t be named and instead will be opened up to a bidding process.