picture quiz

lorne mosley.

looking at ackton hall it looks closed to me though ,cant see any signs of life at all could even be as late as 1985-86 especially if the bit thats missing is what i think ,to the right of the picture

Edited by dydo

if its the scoreboard thats missing and at the PO road end by then it could be 1970 ish cos thats where i used to stand as a nipper....i think adverts came in the 80s...the railings were white by then too........its a dull dreary black an white pic.....69/70 my guess

There are no strangers at Post Office Road, only friends who haven't met.

sometime after the 74 strike when the washer in the pic was installed and before the closure of the pit in 83. I'm guessing 77/78ish.

The mock tudor gable end on the house puts it 60's/70's!

I might be wrong like.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

sometime after the 74 strike when the washer in the pic was installed and before the closure of the pit in 83. I'm guessing 77/78ish.

I might be wrong like.

As one who helped put the original sleeer terracing down around 1944/45 the terracing is far in d vance of that so forget pre 50 I reckon. Floodlights? The original ones came from Hunslet and I helped with them. Is that a SHADOW OF A BULL on the ground. I seem to see two horns and a body. I'll settle for 1967. With 73 as a second guess.

Go on then , when ?

oldroversguess.jpg

PS, There is a bit missing, and no, it's not the crowd

Definately the scoreboard that as been chopped off the picture (seen the original photo on facebook) so im going for 1977.

Im Fev and im proud

I might be wrong like.

Didnt Ackton hall shut in 1985 straight after the strike

Wasn't the Railway End just shale until terracing arrived in the the seventies?

That considered I'll say 1981

Two things. As I said we put sleepers down in the late forties early fifties as terracing. I think you mean concrete terracing. Another thing that stuck me is that there are crowd crash barriers there in the photo. They have gone. That might help.

Wasn't the Railway End just shale until terracing arrived in the the seventies?

That considered I'll say 1981

There definitely was red shale for some time at the railway end LL. I'm sure we painted the railings white in the 70's.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

There definitely was red shale for some time at the railway end LL. I'm sure we painted the railings white in the 70's.

Carn't remember shale at Railway end. I remember being in that corner where the wall was against Wake when the home record league crowd was there (11,000?). I would be about 12 at the time which would be 1962/3. I thought the concrete terracing was there then. If I remember right the scoreboard at that time was at the POR end in the corner where the tea hut is now. Carn't for the life of me remember when the scoreboard changed ends though.

I seem to remember coming up to watching a game in the early 70's and the scoreboard may have been at the railway end, I would guess at around 1973

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

Another clue is the old training lights which shone across the juniors pitch behind the railway end. It was grim in them days, like training by candle light. I can't remember when they were taken down, but it must have been no earlier than the eighties, but before we first got floodlights, so I would guess at 1983.