Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Food and drink thread

• Please log in to reply
756 replies to this topic

#501 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

But did you make your own pasta?!

I've never made pasta; I enjoy cooking (and eating), but that's just over that tipping point of "too much faff". It's something I might do once, but not make a habit of.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#502 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I've never made pasta; I enjoy cooking (and eating), but that's just over that tipping point of "too much faff". It's something I might do once, but not make a habit of.

"00" flour, egg or two. Mix. (edit: Knead. Rest.) Roll.

I think.

Edited by hindle xiii, 30 May 2013 - 03:37 PM.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#503 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Is that Thornbury, Bradford? Not far from the headquarters.

It is but then, it needs to be competitive due to the high number of Asian supermarkets nearby like Pakeeza etc. They also sell takeaway curries, kebabs etc that are top notch.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#504 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

I've been making my own bread for the last couple of months (inspired by Paul Hollywood). Got it down to a fine art where I can knock out a pretty decent loaf with not much effort time wise. I also make rolls, focaccia and pizzas using the same basic recipe.

Fides invicta triumphat

#505 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

I used to bake bread quite a lot, but only had time to do it on weekends. These days, if I bake, I make soda bread which is much quicker.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#506 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

I got 4 naga chillies for a quid from Otley market, they're only small though, about the size of the top of a thumb. And not the bigger ones seen elsewhere, which are around the size of a full thumb. I fried one up and was a little disappointed. So I think I may put the other 3 in a slap-dash homemade chilli sauce. Raw.

2 ended up going in and cooked.

That was daft.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#507 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

If you can make your own bread, pasta is childs play. It is incomparably better than the bought supermarket 'fresh' stuff.

Oh, and don't believe what they tell you - you can use regular milled multi-purpose white flour. Whether 00 or regular flour, use one medium egg per 100g flour. Add a little olive oil to the flour and if you need to (very) small amounts of luke warm water. Knead well, it should be quite stiff. Rest for 1/2 hour before rolling. Keep folding and putting through until silky. You could add something like whole sage leaves on the last fold!

LUNEW.jpg

#508 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

bought one of those machines

tried it once: big #### about

back of cupboard

followed by Meanwood Road tip

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#509 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

I used to bake bread quite a lot, but only had time to do it on weekends. These days, if I bake, I make soda bread which is much quicker.

I make bread a lot.

I us a bread maker to knock up the dough and take it from there. Less mess, less #### about-perfectly good dough.

Keeping it local

#510 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

I make bread a lot.

I us a bread maker to knock up the dough and take it from there. Less mess, less #### about-perfectly good dough.

Bread makers are an expensive way to avoid kneading, and a lot less fun.

I used to male my own pasta but our kitchen now doesn't have a stretch of work top where I can fix the machine to.
Fides invicta triumphat

#511 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

I used to male my own pasta but our kitchen now doesn't have a stretch of work top where I can fix the machine to.

Neither does ours, I have to take a drawer out!

LUNEW.jpg

#512 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

I don't think the pasta rolling machines are essential, they're just a heck of a lot easier. Not that I've tried.

Much like the dishwasher I suppose!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#513 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,991 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I must have an underlying dislike for long haired male chefs, because not only does Adrian Richardson from Secret Meat Business annoy the heck out of me, but so does Nigel Slater!

Everything is so sickly sweet camp fluffy nice with him, it really winds me up!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#514 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Caramelised red onion bangers for tea!  Might indulge myself and sling a couple of free range eggs in as well.

Washing the ensemble down with a cheeky red from Cases de Pene (two litres of which cost me a packet of sausages this morning).

Still absolutely no sign of a diet here.  If anyone sees my feet please let me know how they are.   :ph34r:

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#515 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

I must have an underlying dislike for long haired male chefs, because not only does Adrian Richardson from Secret Meat Business annoy the heck out of me, but so does Nigel Slater!

Absolutely. Slater is so wet.
Fides invicta triumphat

#516 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,281 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Bread makers are an expensive way to avoid kneading, and a lot less fun.

Maybe
It's just that I'd rather be doing other things and I'm safe in the knowledge that its been done properly. I get the pleasure from what I do with the dough when it's prepared: the bread maker cost me nothing.
I always thought there was something a little unhygienic about pasta machines all those nooks and crannies as well as the aforementioned #### abouts
Keeping it local

#517 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Yes, yes, file it under so wrong but so right.......

...not one, but two fray bentos pies about to head tummy wards.   B)

Daughter used to tell me off for buying those.

Now she's moved out I can enjoy such guilty pleasures in peace again.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#518 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Isn't that what they put on chips in 'ull?

:biggrin: 

Reminds me of my mate's verdict on Marston's Pedigree.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#519 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Noticed in Waitrose last night - they are now stocking Penderyn Welsh whisky. I had some a few years ago, but had problems finding it in the shops* 'til now.

*short of trekking into central London to visit the estimable Millroys.

That stuff is absolutely gorgeous.

#520 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Nigel Slater, long-haired? Well, more hair than me, but long-haired?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users