Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Castleford hit with pretty big fine

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
148 replies to this topic

#121 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,248 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jun 29 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif Apols, call it a doff of the cap.

none taken wink.gif
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#122 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Jun 29 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Judging by BringBacktheBiff's comments and his disappearing act, I would say somebody already has.

No im still here, iv explained my comments so dont feel the need to further justify to those of you too stupid to see my point

#123 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jun 29 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No im still here, iv explained my comments so dont feel the need to further justify to those of you too stupid to see my point

Interesting comment "too stupid"

well thats your call.

#124 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jun 29 2010, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From the RFL website:

Castleford were found guilty of unacceptable behaviour, of breaching the RFL’s Respect Policy, of misconduct by their supporters and of conduct prejudicial to the interests of the sport.

I can't see anywhere where it states that the initial charge was of not preventing it. Where did you get that from?

From the report on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.u...ord/8772418.stm

the charges against the club were not that there was chanting, they were that the club failed to take its best endeavours to prevent or stop any chanting

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#125 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Jun 29 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From the report on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.u...ord/8772418.stm

the charges against the club were not that there was chanting, they were that the club failed to take its best endeavours to prevent or stop any chanting

Cheers, however that is just Richard Wright's wording rather than any official judgement. They are expected to receive the judgement by the end of the week, and that certainly isn't how the RFL have worded it in their official press release.

Quite disappointed with the attitude of some of the Cas fans on the other site. The vast majority are refusing to blame the fans, and aiming their anger at the RFL with a couple at Gareth Thomas.

I can genuinely say that if Wire got done for this kind of thing, I would be angry firstly with the dickheads who chanted, and secondly to the club for not doing all they could to resolve the issue.

#126 Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

In terms of the fine I think Cas would we well advised to register their protestations and then take the punishment. This is their second trip to the disciplinary and they need to start mending fences.
On the broader view, I think Cas should kick this back over the fence and invite The RFL down to inspect their policies and suggest improvements. Obviously, once this is done then a field trip to other SL clubs to view their policies in action would be valuable.
I suspect that most other SL clubs would be having a 'there but for the Grace of God go I' moment about this one. The only SL clubs I have come across without a minority of numpties who get in to this sort of thing are the clubs with too few fans to form a minority.
Thomas may not be the best player to play RL but he is most welcome and certainly does not check in his basic human rights when he crosses the white line on game day.
The RFL ought to take the issue of abusive language toward officials more seriously. The playing of the taped message does little more than establish a basis for ejecting offenders and people need to see some ejections now to bring the point across.

#127 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jun 29 2010, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers, however that is just Richard Wright's wording rather than any official judgement. They are expected to receive the judgement by the end of the week, and that certainly isn't how the RFL have worded it in their official press release.

Quite disappointed with the attitude of some of the Cas fans on the other site. The vast majority are refusing to blame the fans, and aiming their anger at the RFL with a couple at Gareth Thomas.

I can genuinely say that if Wire got done for this kind of thing, I would be angry firstly with the dickheads who chanted, and secondly to the club for not doing all they could to resolve the issue.

Seems I'm in the minority on that site - I'm in agreement with you Dave
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#128 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:30 PM

I've not really changed my mind much since this was first reported. I think £40,000 is a very excessive fine for this and considering some of the things Ive heard in rugby league stadiums over the years it's a little bit rich to fine a feclub so much just for this. Not that homophobia is acceptable, but neither is calling someone a paedophile or chanting about someones personal life in regards to cheating spouses and I've heard those and worse over the years.

I think the fans who chanted should be the ones being punished, the club cannot pre-emptively stop them from doing it, if their reaction was inadequate then they should be made an examnple of but in this day and age of recession £40,000 is an obscene amount for this.

#129 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Jun 29 2010, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've not really changed my mind much since this was first reported. I think £40,000 is a very excessive fine for this and considering some of the things Ive heard in rugby league stadiums over the years it's a little bit rich to fine a feclub so much just for this. Not that homophobia is acceptable, but neither is calling someone a paedophile or chanting about someones personal life in regards to cheating spouses and I've heard those and worse over the years.

I think the fans who chanted should be the ones being punished, the club cannot pre-emptively stop them from doing it, if their reaction was inadequate then they should be made an examnple of but in this day and age of recession £40,000 is an obscene amount for this.

It seems the punishment is for exactly that in your last paragraph, and let's remember that they will pay £20k unless the fans misbehave again.

#130 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jun 29 2010, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's actually their lawyer's comments, not Richard Wright. You'd think their lawyer knew the charges he was defending them against ?

As for your comments about if it happened at Warrington, what would your views be if the club did all that it considered that it reasonably could and the chanting still happened anyway ?

The fans who chanted are to blame, not the club. It's as simple as that.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#131 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

At the end of the day I go to the game to watch the game,not abuse the refs(who 99% of the time get the decisions right anyway),an opposition fan,player,or player of my own team. I am a great believer in "if you wouldn't say it to them face to face,then don't say it about them to others on internet/radio/telephone/in writing",etc. So I challenge any cas fans with a genuine greivance against thomas playing RL and being gay to air that grievance 1 on 1,face to face.

Let me know when you have done it and I will personally telephone your dentist and make the appointment you will duly require. biggrin.gif
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#132 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:56 PM

Sorry mate, get back under your rock. Your comments were way way off line. You could have tried an apology, but no. Anyone who fails to believe your "justification" for your outrageous comments is "stupid". Total male genitals.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#133 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,358 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Jun 29 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's actually their lawyer's comments, not Richard Wright. You'd think their lawyer knew the charges he was defending them against ?

As for your comments about if it happened at Warrington, what would your views be if the club did all that it considered that it reasonably could and the chanting still happened anyway ?

I think you're continuing to get entirely the wrong end of the stick, hence my initial post about "reading the thread". It seems clear from what's written that the fine is largely to do with how the whole thing was handled badly by Cas, but you're banging on about not being able to stop people chanting. That's simply not the point at all.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#134 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Jun 29 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, apologies I just skim read it.

The fact is the RFL press release doesn't seem to link in with Findlay's comments. Interestingly, in his release he says that the club did everything they could on the day, what about after the day and the inquiry that will have taken place.

As for the Warrington point, if the club had done everything then I would be annoyed, but the fact is that people are showing blind loyalty to the club. There was an inquiry, and if the guilty charge is wrong, then they will rightly win the appeal.

Was their an appeal for names after the incident? I have gone through the archives on the Cas site and can't even find the press release after the original incident now.

If they had done absolutely everything they could to firstly control the crowd, and secondly conduct a full inquiry, then the RFL could have easily given them a £5k suspended sentence for example. This would have shown that they were serious about it, and would have been a warning not to do it again.

The RFL are not happy with something that Cas did (or didn't do), there is no anti-Cas campaign here.

When Hull's fans invaded the pitch at Huddersfield those years ago, did the club get punished? Yes.

#135 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jun 29 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems the punishment is for exactly that in your last paragraph, and let's remember that they will pay £20k unless the fans misbehave again.

I just think in this financial climate fining a club for this in this quantity is unwarranted. I suspect Castleford may even rather have 2 points docked. Or given them a fine for £20,000 suspended and payable if this happens again. A probationary period if you will. We can't go shooting ourselves in the foot. The sport isn't strong enough.

#136 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Jun 29 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just think in this financial climate fining a club for this in this quantity is unwarranted. I suspect Castleford may even rather have 2 points docked. Or given them a fine for £20,000 suspended and payable if this happens again. A probationary period if you will. We can't go shooting ourselves in the foot. The sport isn't strong enough.

If I'm honest, I haven't got a clue whether £40k (£20k) is too high or not. I would suspect the fact that they fined them £40k (£20k) last year has meant they had their hands tied as they didn't want to suggest this is a lesser offence to last year's crowd trouble.

#137 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

it's a preposterously large fine, especially when compared to the sums handed out to other sports. however, we're either serious about combatting(sp?) this sort of stuff or we're not. personally i'd have said to Cas, make a donation to GT's chosen charity, minimum £20k or we'll hit you with an even bigger amount. saying publicly that the club's reaction wasn't good enough serves no useful purpose.

we need to extend these sort of punishments to all areas of the game.
foxes or poor people?

#138 exxile

exxile
  • Coach
  • 5,354 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Jun 29 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not bloody Alan Carr running onto the pitch.

Apparently, Alan Carr's dad was the manager of Northampton Town, and was 'disappointed' at his son's chosen career path.

So he says in his act.

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

#139 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (sam @ Jun 30 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's a preposterously large fine, especially when compared to the sums handed out to other sports. however, we're either serious about combatting(sp?) this sort of stuff or we're not. personally i'd have said to Cas, make a donation to GT's chosen charity, minimum £20k or we'll hit you with an even bigger amount. saying publicly that the club's reaction wasn't good enough serves no useful purpose.

we need to extend these sort of punishments to all areas of the game.

How many similar punishments do you think the sport could stomach before it goes under?

#140 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:54 AM

I see your point,but I dont agree with it at all, basically it comes across as them gay homosexuals shouldnt be playing our manly rugby game, which is damaging for our sport, thank God it was only 50 maximum of a 4000 (??) crowd.

Cummins Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users