Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wakefield Wildcats v St. Helens

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Wakefield Wildcats v St. Helens (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wakefield (3 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. St Helens (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,586 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Discuss the game here!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

st's hammering hopefully biggrin.gif coming from a cas fan st's by 30
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#3 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:58 AM

wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see a Wakey win here, so I'm tipping them to win by 8

ALthough I need Saints to smash them ideally!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#4 Fully

Fully
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Jul 21 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see a Wakey win here, so I'm tipping them to win by 8

ALthough I need Saints to smash them ideally!

Agree with you KT - said the same to a Wakey fan outside the ground last week - it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Wakey come out with a win.

But I think, in all honesty, if Wakey play like they have last two/three weeks they'll get punished. Saints are much quick with the ball and we saw how tired and how they struggled against an expansive game v Cas.

Therefore, Saints by 22

#5 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Fully @ Jul 21 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree with you KT - said the same to a Wakey fan outside the ground last week - it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Wakey come out with a win.

But I think, in all honesty, if Wakey play like they have last two/three weeks they'll get punished. Saints are much quick with the ball and we saw how tired and how they struggled against an expansive game v Cas.

Therefore, Saints by 22

Is that because Ben Thaler is the referee?

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

Trinity for mine. Something seems very wrong at Saints (did they put too much into beating Wigan or they are saving themselves for the semi?) just now, and if Trinity have one of their good days they'll win by a few.

#7 Fully

Fully
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Jul 21 2010, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that because Ben Thaler is the referee?

Nope, it's because Wakey always seem to perform well against Saints. Alright, they're all at KR but still they can put up a fight. Although, last two meetings at Belle Vue have resulted in 18-42 and 10-42 losses for Wakey.

Earlier this season:

Saints 22-16 Wakefield

Last season

Saints 20-22 Wakefield

Saints 34-30 Wakefield

#8 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

Yes always easy money to be won when Wakefield play at Knowsley Road as a few members on here have benefited over the years.

#9 Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

Four weeks ago Kear said that the three up coming games (HKR, Hull & Cas) would define the season for Wakefield. One win out of three ought to mean he knows the play offs are gone so we shall see if the time has come for some youngsters to get a hit out.
If Kear goes with the 'same old same old' then Saints will cruise to a win I reckon. Some fresh faces might give Wakefield enough of a lift to be competitive. I can't see the point in giving Demetriou, Leo_Latu, Kirmond a shirt as they won't be at Wakefield next year. A couple of others need a week off to contemplate their career choices for 2011 as well I reckon.
Saints already have some good youngsters on the rise so ought to win by 3 scores at least.

#10 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 21 2010, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trinity for mine. Something seems very wrong at Saints (did they put too much into beating Wigan or they are saving themselves for the semi?) just now, and if Trinity have one of their good days they'll win by a few.

I agree playing at Trinity is never a picnic for the Saints. I think the last couple of weeks has shown that yes the kids are alright, but they have probably played more games than they bargined for with more kids on the field at the same time than they anticipated. The last 2 weeks we've been really short of bodies especially in the pack.

No Cunningham, No Fozzard, No Flannery, No Fasavalu, we have lost some high impact players, the kids are very professional and have good strength but there is no kid that brings an impact and with Roby on from the start we lose that impact of a change, that means we can usually change the pace of a game. So we are very consistent but don't seam to get that roll on that we have previously. Wilkin is back but he looks very tired and it's going to take some weeks to get his match fitness up.
Last week he was so slow getting back into the line after making a tackle the ref failed to notice he was running back from behind the quins defence at a tap restart.

I think the Leeds game more than wigan took it out of Saints, in the Leeds game we lost 3 players during the game and there were verious other knocks and bumps. Also Eastmond is looking out for the season so we are down a half back, which means trying another person at half back. It's going to be touch and go whether we can beat Leeds, I was much more confident even after the loss to Leeds than I am now.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#11 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

Trinity appear to have got some consistency going of playing OK one week and awful the next. There were awful against Cas so this week should see an improvement!

As I said before in other pre match threads, if the opposition attack down the middle then it will be a close game. If, as any decent side should, they exploit the weakness on the wings then Saint will win very comfortably. Trinity have not got their act together with a sliding defence and often the opposing wing can run in without a finger been laid on him. Unfortunately the players are not that bright so this opportunity will raise it’s head on numerous occasions during the match.

Trinity also shouldn’t unduly worry the Saints defence as the tactic is 5 drives and a kick. Nothing expensive & nothing creative. If they do try something off the cuff they will invariably result with a knock on.

In conclusion, if Saint bring their famous attacking game it will be a rather large score, if not then expect a close arm wrestle.

#12 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Normally when I think Saints are wobbling, they prove me wrong, but I'm not sure their backbone is as strong as it used to be, and they've done well to come away with close victories the last few weeks. Going to Wakefield won't be easy this week I don't think, as at the moment Kear is trying to develop them into a tough side to beat, which is the last thing Saints need right now, as they usually get a few soft tries due to their speed around the ruck off the back of errors.

So, a squeaky clean performance by the Wildcats (with a few scary moments thrown in as usual) and a Wakefield win to get back on the play-off trail, and put some pressure on the Saints for a top 4 finish.
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#13 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (no13benny @ Jul 23 2010, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Normally when I think Saints are wobbling, they prove me wrong, but I'm not sure their backbone is as strong as it used to be, and they've done well to come away with close victories the last few weeks. Going to Wakefield won't be easy this week I don't think, as at the moment Kear is trying to develop them into a tough side to beat, which is the last thing Saints need right now, as they usually get a few soft tries due to their speed around the ruck off the back of errors.

So, a squeaky clean performance by the Wildcats (with a few scary moments thrown in as usual) and a Wakefield win to get back on the play-off trail, and put some pressure on the Saints for a top 4 finish.

Given what I've seen of Saints recently I'd probably have backed wakefield at home, but after reading this thread Wakefield seam to be off the boil also. I imagine it's going to be one of those Sunday afternoon games where there will be some silly errors, quite a bit of dropped ball and a tight game with the home side winning with ten to go and some panic stuff by Saints to try and win it at the death, but it will be too little too late.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#14 saintfrank

saintfrank
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

No problems, we are used to pressure games, and with the injuries we have i still predict a saints win, by 12 at least
Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

#15 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

They have the additional motivation of 2nd place to aim for now as well I suppose. I would be surprised if they won comfortably, but they still have plenty of been there done that players.

#16 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

They have to win today. Losing to Salford blew us 1 shot at second it has to be "carpe diem" mentality now.
Wakey away seems to be a bogey team for us in recent years & given what I have seen the last few weeks we could be shocking. Lets hope the good week off the field has rejuvenated the players.

COME ON YOU SAINTS
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

I don't think this game will feature predominently on radio Leeds so can anyone at the game let me know how Keiran Hyde gets on? Sky Sports News say he's due to make his debut. A baptism of fire for him but as a former Bull, and an apparent talent, any reviews would be welcome. Ta.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 25 2010, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think this game will feature predominently on radio Leeds so can anyone at the game let me know how Keiran Hyde gets on? Sky Sports News say he's due to make his debut. A baptism of fire for him but as a former Bull, and an apparent talent, any reviews would be welcome. Ta.

laugh.gif Scores the first try!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

6-26 latest.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#20 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

44 6 is taking a big bite out of the points difference deficit for 2nd, with 3 easy fixtures to follow next Saturday's game...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users