Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Themed rounds

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

Having watched the NRL highlight show most weeks since its been on I've noticed there seems to be some kind of themed round every few weeks, so far I've seen.

Heritage round- retro kits
Women in league round- pink kits/kits with pink flash
Rivalries round-derby games where posssible

Personally I think these are great ideas for a number of reasons, any new kits produced are bound to be collecters items and if made as limited editions, perhaps numbered also would sell easily enough providing clubs with extra money and maybe extra sponsorship. The biggest advantage to me though is it provides a marketing tool to both the competition and each club, the fact that there is a bit of a unique selling point to a game would surely help clubs promote particular game?

So do people think this is a good idea that could work over here and what themes would you suggest?

Some ideas I've had would be a charity round, either for local charities or all clubs could do the same (might be more of an impact that way) One off kits could be produced etc, free tickets for charity voulenteers.

Amature round, clubs perhaps adopt an amature club, local or otherwise, for a season and lend coaches etc. the amature club could be alloewed to play a curtain raiser at the game let all the amature clubs families etc in for cheap/free?

All the above is just ideas so feel free to be cruel/kind about it and add your own thaughts. would be curious to hear from any aussies to hear their views on how much of an impact the themed rounds have over there.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#2 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

I think that is a superb idea and one that we should embrace with enthusiasm. I like the idea of a heritage round and I am sure the kits would fly off the shelves. We sort of have a local derby round over Easter, but another one at another time would be good. Women in league also sounds good to me. There should also be community rounds, where all the clubs have a game that celebrates the schools and clubs that play the game. We can leave moneybags Wood to come up with a few more...

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

completely agree.. the rivalry round is a great idea, a (good) marketing mans dream!.. i also think most fans would also love to see the heritage kits being used in a round of fixtures..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

I suggested something similar to Wigan 2 yrs ago cos i follow the NRL so obviously i see/hear many ideas for family events etc

But as you can see, nothing happened!!!

#5 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

I agree, and the Magic Weekend should be the heritage round. Putting them under an umbrella (like for example the derbies at Easter) can only help to market the weekends rugby, and make it seem more attractive to supporters. Something unique to go along and enjoy at your nearest club. Amateur clubs would probably latch onto it too.
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#6 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Thats my take on it, the press release's more or less write themselves wich should make the journalists job a bit easier and maybe get a bit more in the nationals too.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Just like the directive this year for a match clock at every Super League ground, a Heritage round (among others) is such an obvious idea it's stunning to think it hasn't been done. Except this idea is rightly suggested all the time.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 24 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just like the directive this year for a match clock at every Super League ground, a Heritage round (among others) is such an obvious idea it's stunning to think it hasn't been done. Except this idea is rightly suggested all the time.

I completely agree, its so obvious that I don't see why we haven't followed suit. We're a sport with so much rich history we should celebrate it more.

The others sounds good, like has been pointed out it's a free form of marketing, gives the newspapers something to report on. It wouldn't cost a lot either.

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

I totally agree with the concept. The one reservation I'd have is if every other round became a theme round. People would soon tire of it. Better to keep it to two or three rounds max per season.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 24 2010, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I totally agree with the concept. The one reservation I'd have is if every other round became a theme round. People would soon tire of it. Better to keep it to two or three rounds max per season.

I was thinking maybe 5/6 throughout the season, but yes overkill could lessen the impact. I suppose it depends on how well thaught out the themes would be.

#11 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

Castleford actually released some retro jerseys a few years back which sold very well, The Challenge Cup winning years in the 60s and 80s i think. The rounds would definitely work but would people buy a new heritage shirt every year? Maybe if it was done once every 3 or 4 seasons?

#12 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (BringBacktheBiff @ Jul 24 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Castleford actually released some retro jerseys a few years back which sold very well, The Challenge Cup winning years in the 60s and 80s i think. The rounds would definitely work but would people buy a new heritage shirt every year? Maybe if it was done once every 3 or 4 seasons?

say a club did a run of 500 ltd edition shirts then the next season they choose a different retro kit. people don't have to buy the kits. I'm sure a clubs like Hull, Wigan etc could shift 500 extra shirts each year, smaller clubs could produce less, say 300 or so. The clubs could even use the kits as a free incentive for season tickets or at least offer a discount on them for season ticket holders. could be as big as the clubs want it to be.

#13 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (steef @ Jul 24 2010, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
say a club did a run of 500 ltd edition shirts then the next season they choose a different retro kit. people don't have to buy the kits. I'm sure a clubs like Hull, Wigan etc could shift 500 extra shirts each year, smaller clubs could produce less, say 300 or so. The clubs could even use the kits as a free incentive for season tickets or at least offer a discount on them for season ticket holders. could be as big as the clubs want it to be.

Knowing Hull they'd pick the heritage shirt with the wrap around comedy shark on it.

rldfsignature.jpg

#14 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 24 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knowing Hull they'd pick the heritage shirt with the wrap around comedy shark on it.

Greatest Hull kit ever, at least from an away fans perspective!

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

Agreed. Heritage round, with derbies, at the Magic Weekend.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#16 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:15 PM

I was thinking of asking the same things on here other day. But is there enough money to do Theme Rounds in the SL?

Edited by HappyDave, 24 July 2010 - 07:16 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,610 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Jul 24 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of asking the same things on here other day. But is there enough money to do Theme Rounds in the SL?

How much does a few shirts cost?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#18 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

No way
my Norweb puffer jacket has weeks of wear left in it yet.

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#19 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Dress like a pirate round.

#20 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Jul 24 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>