Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford City Reds in 2011

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Aug 14 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh,so I am levelling at Salford accusations similar to the ones that us Warrington fans have endured from fans of other clubs for years now? Interesting that.

It's not interesting. You're just offering ill-informed opinion.

If we'd signed players who were current Aus, GB or NZ internationals at the same time as having no leavers in the current squad then there may have been some point to your post. However, none of the players signed are of that calibre.

#42 Fully

Fully
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Aug 14 2010, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not being nasty or argumentative here,but if Warrington had signed all those players fans of every other club in SL would be on here now screaming "they must be over the salary cap." Salford don't get very big crowds at the willows,and I for one await with baited breath the findings of the RFL next season when they routinely check through salford's spending as part of the "live" salary cap regulations.

There's a difference in the fact that reportedly Salford aren't spending the cap in the first place but will be next season and secondly, you are and always have been.

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Aug 14 2010, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not being nasty or argumentative here,but if Warrington had signed all those players fans of every other club in SL would be on here now screaming "they must be over the salary cap." Salford don't get very big crowds at the willows,and I for one await with baited breath the findings of the RFL next season when they routinely check through salford's spending as part of the "live" salary cap regulations.

You clearly do not understand the salary cap.

#44 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 15 2010, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You clearly do not understand the salary cap.

Explain why I don't understand it. As I am aware clubs can pay players 50% of their turnover or 1.65 million maximum. According to fans of other clubs Warrington have been over the cap for years(strangely never been found guilty of cheating though?)do fans of other clubs understand it?
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#45 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Aug 15 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Explain why I don't understand it. As I am aware clubs can pay players 50% of their turnover or 1.65 million maximum. According to fans of other clubs Warrington have been over the cap for years(strangely never been found guilty of cheating though?)do fans of other clubs understand it?

I don't think anyone without access to all the information could come close to understand it, its not a transparent system. I don't know how many people the RFL employ to monitor the "live cap" but to do it properly would take a cast of thousands when you think how complicated a players contract could be with image rights, win bonuses, appearance fees etc. Add to that the possibility to pay for public appearances, payments from sponsors payments from club owners other companies, payments to spouses/family members. I'd replace it with a much simpler system personally.

Its often said the clubs accountant should also be awarded a winners ring at the Grand Final and I don't doubt thats true for a second!

#46 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (Wilderspoolmemories @ Aug 15 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 50% rule was abandoned some time ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users