League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should be the first choice Second Rows in the G4N?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

So, which of; Ben Westward, Joel Tomkins, Sam Bugess, Gareth Ellis, A N Other should be the first choice Second Rows for England RL this year?will those main 4 be travelling Down Under or will that South Pacific 'English man' have any chance of travelling?
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

Err, Chris Heightington and Willie Manu.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

Burgess and Ellis without a doubt. with Ben Westwood off the bench.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 15 2010, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Err, Chris Heightington and Willie Manu.

No need to take the p'. biggrin.gif
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#5 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Aug 15 2010, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Burgess and Ellis without a doubt. with Ben Westwood off the bench.

I would go with that, Tomkins aint quite at their level yet but would be a good squad player to take.

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

Ellis and Westwood, with Burgess at loose forward.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#7 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,985 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 16 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good call.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 16 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TBH there are quite a few combinations that would work, but I would expect to see O'Loughlin in there, probably with Westwood on the bench.

#9 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

Not sure about Westwood, he is good at Wire but hasn't shone for England, not sure he's quite good enough at International Level. Second row may also depend on who starts at prop as players like Burgess can pretty much play anywhere in the pack (hooker aside).

I think Burgess and Ellis should defo be in the starting pack, along with Graham and Peacock. That would probably be my first choice Props/Second Row. I'd have Morley off the bench. I would also have Sinfield in there as much as it paines me to praise the Rhino git, he looked ok in the 4N last year! He could go either 13 or 9.

Anyway, I guess the origial question was about second rows ...... so I'll go Ellis and Burgess.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#10 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

morley - peacock props with graham bench
ellis - burgess 2nd rows with tomkins bench
westwood bench as he can cover prop or 2nd row, burgess can also do a stint at prop
then you have a 2nd hooker as the last bench place
only IMO biggrin.gif
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#11 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Odsal Outlaw @ Aug 16 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure about Westwood, he is good at Wire but hasn't shone for England, not sure he's quite good enough at International Level. Second row may also depend on who starts at prop as players like Burgess can pretty much play anywhere in the pack (hooker aside).

I think Burgess and Ellis should defo be in the starting pack, along with Graham and Peacock. That would probably be my first choice Props/Second Row. I'd have Morley off the bench. I would also have Sinfield in there as much as it paines me to praise the Rhino git, he looked ok in the 4N last year! He could go either 13 or 9.

Anyway, I guess the origial question was about second rows ...... so I'll go Ellis and Burgess.

I appreciate this isn't the topic, but you are 100% correct in what you say. If the halfbacks are one of; Eastmond, Tomkins, McGuire or Burrow, Sinfield has to play to provide a kicking game and a structured passing game. This is further amplified with Roby at hooker.

To address the original question; has to be Burgess and Ellis. They are one of very few backrowers who marry up good defence with dynamic attack. Plus, I have always thought Burgess to be more effective in the wider running role.

Edited by getdownmonkeyman, 16 August 2010 - 09:14 AM.

#12 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (getdownmonkeyman @ Aug 16 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are one of very few backrowers who marry up good defence with dynamic attack. .

Both of which I have seen Joel Tomkins do effectively all season

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Odsal Outlaw @ Aug 16 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, you seem to be in a minority with your views on Westwood, it is widely acknowledged that he has been very good for England, in both the World Cup and last season's 4N. He received a fair bit of credit from the Aussie media too.

Can't disagree with the rest of your post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users