Trains to Old Trafford

I've travelled in the car on previous trips to Old Trafford.

This time, I thought that the train might prove to be a better option. Presumably the train to Old Trafford only runs on match days? (The national rail website isn't proving too helpful at the moment.)

Has anyone used the train to OT on Grand Final day?

If you got 3 or 4 of you, get a cab up

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

or walk the length of Deansgate from Wetherspoons, with Hogweed, BD92 searching for a cab, only to get in three separate ones and end up at three different pubs

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Here's some advice for car drivers:

Parking space near the ground is limited and and expensive. There are huge traffic queues to get out after the game.

A good solution:

Drive to Sale, park by the train station for nothing and buy a return ticket to Old Trafford. Costs about

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

A good solution:

Drive to Sale, park by the train station for nothing and buy a return ticket to Old Trafford. Costs about

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

I'll drive to Besses o' th' Barn at Jct 17 on the M60. Park there and get the tram - but then I'll be travelling from Yorkshire. If it wasn't for the fact that I promised a mate who a. lives in Barnsley and b. is a Wire fan who bought tickets last month convinced that Wire would be there - I wouldn't bother :ph34r:

I just hope it's a good game. The last time I went to Saintw Wigan in 2000 (?) it was quite an exciting game. Robinson's last for the Pies.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just for clarity, is that a train or a tram link Wolford6?

I think its a tram, but there's only one station at Sale so you can't slip up. You buy your ticket from a machine so there's no queue to delay getting on.

One thing I should have added:

When travelling to and from Sale go the long way (via Stockport) round the M60 motorway ringroad. That way you avoid the congestion hotspots at the consecutive junctions for the Trafford Centre and Old Trafford.

The last three years there has been the train from Piccadilly station direct to the ground (station at the back of the South Stand). Times should appear some time this week. Its a much better option than cramming onto the tram.

Yup. I'm alway surprised how few RL fans use the train to the ground.

There's no dignity in plastic seats

The last three years there has been the train from Piccadilly station direct to the ground (station at the back of the South Stand). Times should appear some time this week. Its a much better option than cramming onto the tram.

Any idea what service there is from the Man United train station into Manchester after the game? The tram was a proper squeeze afterwards last year, not particularly comfortable and not something I think I want to subject my 70 yr old man too. Well for sure he wouldn't thank me.

We always catch a bus from Portland Street or Piccadilly to Old Trafford.There are three or more services go past Old Trafford.It's incredible how empty the buses are.

After the match we always walk to the Crescent and New Oxford pubs in Salford.

Both ways it is better than being crushed on the tram.

We always catch a bus from Portland Street or Piccadilly to Old Trafford.There are three or more services go past Old Trafford.It's incredible how empty the buses are.

After the match we always walk to the Crescent and New Oxford pubs in Salford.

Both ways it is better than being crushed on the tram.

Thanks for that, I had been looking at the bus as an alternative, am more likely to take it now.

I had to pick a friend up in Barnsley. Left Barnsley about 3-15 travelled over Woodhead and parked at Brooklands Metrolink accompanied by part of the usual large Hull contingent, we were at Old Trafford Cricket ground by 4-30.

Coming back, we took the wrong road from the station and couldn't find the car :ph34r: Found it at 9-00, back in Barnsley at 10-00 and home at Morley 10-30 I thought that was pretty good. There's a lot to be said for travelling on the Metorlink the opposite way to most supporters :D

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.