Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

5K run on a treadmill

Beginner

• Please log in to reply
609 replies to this topic

#41 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

How do you work out your maximum heart rate? I've recently had two operations and when they wired me up before knocking me out I registered a heartbeat of 48 & 47 on the second Operation

The easiest option is to minus your age from 220; the result is your maximum heart rate.

There are other methods but I don't know much about them. Some details are on the link:

http://www.runnerswo...t-rate/181.html

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#42 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

The easiest option is to minus your age from 220; the result is your maximum heart rate.

There are other methods but I don't know much about them. Some details are on the link:

http://www.runnerswo...t-rate/181.html

that will do, wish my heartbeat was 100, lol
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#43 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

How do you work out your maximum heart rate? I've recently had two operations and when they wired me up before knocking me out I registered a heartbeat of 48 & 47 on the second Operation

The average Resting Heart rate is 72, anything lower than 50 and medically you are reasonably fit. Bjorn Borg had a RHR of 32

I have just started on the rowing machine (as I used to row when I was much younger - even rowed at Henly in 1979) doing the Olympic distance of 2km, I think I am annoying the more seasoned users of the gym because I take so long, I think my toddler could walk it quicker.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#44 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Bjorn Borg had a RHR of 32

As did Lance Armstrong and Dean Karnazes. Machines!

Edited by GeordieSaint, 22 August 2012 - 08:42 AM.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#45 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

The average Resting Heart rate is 72, anything lower than 50 and medically you are reasonably fit. Bjorn Borg had a RHR of 32

I have just started on the rowing machine (as I used to row when I was much younger - even rowed at Henly in 1979) doing the Olympic distance of 2km, I think I am annoying the more seasoned users of the gym because I take so long, I think my toddler could walk it quicker.

Went on the rowing machine for the first time in about 5 years yesterday. Did 2000m in 8:15, I used to do it in under 7:30 :(.
Fides invicta triumphat

#46 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Progress is progress

I finally did 24mins 58secs today, maybe a week late ( I blame losing a week for Wembley) but I'm over the moon.

It's taken me 5 attempts to beat it.

Thanks for all the ideas and responses it really helped me cracking 25mins barrier.... Trainers was the big plus.

In time I'll be out on the road and see how much I can improve by.

Thanks again Paul.

#47 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

24 mins 40 secs today

Will I break 22mins by xmas?

Still on the treadmill though.

#48 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Just thought I'd bring this post up to date and thank a few people

I've now done 5k in 20 mins and 54 secs and managed a 10k in 47mins 20 secs

Kettlebells really helped losing weight and toning until I hurt my arm, this encouraged me to run out on the road and become a better and stronger runner.

I've now signed up for the birchwood 10k as recommended by a poster and I've also enrolled in the Warrington half marathon.

I'm not bothered about the 10 k as I regular do sub 50 times, does anyone have any tips for half marathons??

Training plans, good foods, foods to avoid..... And do I need to stop drinking? If so when?

I've done the distance once in less than two hours but would really like a sub 1hr 50

Thanks in advance

Paul

#49 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

I ran 5K today in one of the 'park run' events. 31 minutes but I did it non stop and it was the first time I have done anything like that. I can do better than this.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#50 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

I ran 5K today in one of the 'park run' events. 31 minutes but I did it non stop and it was the first time I have done anything like that. I can do better than this.

Nice one, I've not done anything competive yet, how did you find it??

Will you be doing it again??

#51 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

I found it pretty easy...but I have been running a bit by myself.
I will be doing it again but not every week because of work. It isnt really competitive, although there are some serious runners who take part, more of a social thing with all abilities taking part. Just Google parkrun.. there will probably be one in your area. Highly recommended.
I came 242 out of 350 or so.

Edited by Johnoco, 29 June 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#52 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

Kettlebells really helped losing weight and toning until I hurt my arm, this encouraged me to run out on the road and become a better and stronger runner.

I've now signed up for the birchwood 10k as recommended by a poster and I've also enrolled in the Warrington half marathon.

I'm not bothered about the 10 k as I regular do sub 50 times, does anyone have any tips for half marathons??

Training plans, good foods, foods to avoid..... And do I need to stop drinking? If so when?

I've done the distance once in less than two hours but would really like a sub 1hr 50

Thanks in advance

Paul

Try searching the 'net for training plans, but the usual advice is to build up your distance gradually, be sensible with your diet (ie cut out too much junk food), and lay off the alcohol as much as you can. So many planned training runs are spoilt/cancelled because of too much drink the night before.

I've not done a half marathon for a few decades, and I doubt that I'll do another one, but one thing I do remember is that you have to start off at a pace that you know you can maintain. It is so easy to get swept up by the occasion and go too fast at the beginning, or, in my case, 'racing' others too early in the event.

Just go out with the intention of finishing it comfortably, enjoy it, and the time will take care of itself.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#53 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

Thanks in advance

Paul

Dang those are impressive times (for me).
Fides invicta triumphat

#54 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I found it pretty easy...but I have been running a bit by myself.
I will be doing it again but not every week because of work. It isnt really competitive, although there are some serious runners who take part, more of a social thing with all abilities taking part. Just Google parkrun.. there will probably be one in your area. Highly recommended.
I came 242 out of 350 or so.

Thanks, I'll give that a go... Much appreciated for the feedback posters.

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 30 June 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#55 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Great way to get fit , have done 100 park runs . 1st time was 28plus minutes , last five runs have been around the 23 mark . have pb of 22.50 .

#56 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Paul,

Well done with the progress.  As with the first few posters, targets for what your programme (i.e., have a proper work out three times a week) are better than performance goals, as you have direct control over them.  Also improvements in performance are inconsistent.  If you keep at it, you will be far fitter than otherwise. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#57 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a go... Much appreciated for the feedback posters.

For the half marathons, regular 10Ks are the best preparation.  However, that will give you the engine, but not the leg stamina.  You will be on your feet for about an hour and three quarter, so regular long walks will help prepare you for that. 

Edited by Bob8, 30 June 2013 - 07:33 PM.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#58 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

Last year I used the micoach app from Adidas when training for Birchwood and the half marathon.  It comes up with runs where you have to change pace, which was crucial in improving my times, because I have always been a bit of a one pace plodder.  Nice to see this post, as I am finally starting my training for this years 10k and half marathon today, and need a bit of encouragement to get out there.

#59 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Last year I used the micoach app from Adidas when training for Birchwood and the half marathon.  It comes up with runs where you have to change pace, which was crucial in improving my times, because I have always been a bit of a one pace plodder.  Nice to see this post, as I am finally starting my training for this years 10k and half marathon today, and need a bit of encouragement to get out there.

Good look with it Mike, I'm looking forward to the Birchwood 10K, it was a great suggestion by you last year..... I wasn't ready 12 months ago, but now I cant wait.

Would love to do a sub47

Maybe we can keep this thread alive to help each other over the next few months.

I'm doing a slow pace 10K tonight, hills, mixed terrain and some roads.

Good luck

Paul

#60 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

Great way to get fit , have done 100 park runs . 1st time was 28plus minutes , last five runs have been around the 23 mark . have pb of 22.50 .

Mo? Is that you? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users