18 Mar: SL: Catalans Dragons v St Helens KO 6pm (TV)

I hope the bloke who was pushed and somersaulted down 6 rows of seats is ok! When I left their was the firemen/ambulance at the Saints end! Bad scenes and bad example as the Saints Academy players were sat right next to it! I'm sure people will see it as loads of fans where filming the fights! Not sure if it was between themselves but it was confined to where the Saints fans where! The security had their hands full! 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was a really enjoyable game and finally the Catalans attacked! Great not to see the drop off to the left post (tackle 2) then pass to a forward who went straight to the right post (tackle 3) for a drop off to hit the left post (tackle 4) then two passes to the right(tackle 5)  then a kick! 

13 hours ago, redjonn said:

I still find it difficult to see the forward pass in what looked like a great try for Catalan...

The other two disallowed tries I could see potentially why, but not that one from of course the TV angles.

The ref was behind the play so at a minimum he should have gone to the VR.

Am I missing something?. You can't go to the VR for a forward pass. 

37 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I hope the bloke who was pushed and somersaulted down 6 rows of seats is ok! When I left their was the firemen/ambulance at the Saints end! Bad scenes and bad example as the Saints Academy players were sat right next to it! I'm sure people will see it as loads of fans where filming the fights! Not sure if it was between themselves but it was confined to where the Saints fans where! The security had their hands full! 

I dont know what they were thinking. Going abroad and spending the game hitting each other and the security coped more than a few. I was in the same stand and the kids were terrified. 

14 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The tackling was a lot better in that second half and that hit by Makinson on Bosc on the Dragon's line was a beauty.

13 hours ago, redjonn said:

It was a beauty but lets admit it was on a plate... its a situation we all dream of getting, no chance for the opposition player to prevent, you have him lined up and the other player has no time to turn or twist or ready himself.

If Bosc was aware of Makinson bearing down on him and knew he was going to get clattered, he could have jumped up to catch the ball. I know it would have taken some speed of thought and ability but that would certainly have made Makinson put the handbrake on.

I was curious about the last play of the game when Wilkin had the ball and there was only three or four seconds left. The only chance Catalans had of winning the game was if they were in possession of the football. He could have kicked it in touch or over the dead ball line and Saints would have instantly won. 

So what does Wilkin do?, he kicks it to them. :unsure:

Odd one that.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

18 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

If Bosc was aware of Makinson bearing down on him and knew he was going to get clattered, he could have jumped up to catch the ball. I know it would have taken some speed of thought and ability but that would certainly have made Makinson put the handbrake on.

Bosc did great to recover from that hit, keep on playing then save a try with his tackle on Taia. But yeah this is a case for jumping to catch a bomb.

1 hour ago, GaryO said:

Thought that the Saints edged it in the 50/50 calls by the ref, perhaps now Cunningham if he is honest with himself will accept that the world is not caving in on him, and these things even themselves overy the course of the season.

I'd agree with that. I thought we got the rub of the green in the second half: the drag into touch, the Inu tackle offensive and the disallowed try spring to mind. Still a good win though and nice to see us play some rugby for a change.

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I'd agree with that. I thought we got the rub of the green in the second half: the drag into touch, the Inu tackle offensive and the disallowed try spring to mind. Still a good win though and nice to see us play some rugby for a change.

It was an excellent game. Taking a look at the stats : Tries 4 to 5, Meters 1236 to 1261, Carries 174 to 188, Breaks 9 to 8. Fairly even all around except offloads (8 to 17). 

There were a lot of big hits too and the end result was decided by a world class offload from a kid of our own, I have nothing more to say. 

6 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

It was an excellent game. Taking a look at the stats : Tries 4 to 5, Meters 1236 to 1261, Carries 174 to 188, Breaks 9 to 8. Fairly even all around except offloads (8 to 17). 

There were a lot of big hits too and the end result was decided by a world class offload from a kid of our own, I have nothing more to say. 

What a ball.  Would be nice to see that circulated rather than the idiots fighting though.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Did Simons knee end up on Walmsleys head (what I thought happened but the TV didn't mention it).  Walmsley really fired up after that in his next hit up and the result was Simon going off.

I don't know about the knee but Walmsley - Simon was a headclash, I was surprised Walmsley could continue the game, his head must be made of steel.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

I was curious about the last play of the game when Wilkin had the ball and there was only three or four seconds left. The only chance Catalans had of winning the game was if they were in possession of the football. He could have kicked it in touch or over the dead ball line and Saints would have instantly won. 

So what does Wilkin do?, he kicks it to them. :unsure:

Odd one that.

good point he could have jumped to catch... I guess a normal full back may instinctively have done so.

Super day at the footie yesterday. Missed Jordan Flovie’s opening score in the Academy game and Jack Owens late winner for Saints. In between met up with timtum and barnyia along with Ben Pomeroy and his young family. Dragons U19s (50-28) fantastic win against last years champions. The young Saints side on top early on with their full back Smith much in view led at the break. I thought the locals were just holding on even when they sneaked ahead. On the hour mark their resistance was still holding. But the surge to the winning line was impressive. Liked wing Flovie’s input yet again but here it was the 2m high Le Cam in the back row who really stood out with a fine hat trick of tries. Seems to a have good-skills set and temperament with it. But like at Headingley last week  it was Albert’s leadership and involvement which brought them home converting all eight tries and scoring one him self.

Thought the main match was going to be basketball score line early on before order was restored. From then on it was an intensive and dramatic battle right to the very end. For Catalans even in defeat there were positives. The pack has some grunt about it with Moa’s arrival and Bousquet continutes to advance – tries in successive games for him. Thought Aiton had one of his best games in the Catalans jumper after a difficult first year. Myler and Walsh too showed signs here that progress is being made. It’s behind them though where I think the challenge is. 1-5 lacks something not helped by constant changes. Michael Monaghan who was watching the Academy game seems to be more involved this year; he certainly spends some time running on to the pitch.

Overall pretty pleased – the Academy game made the day for me. After Carney and even Bird the future here is still about French involvement going forward. Just two years in with the Academy and more than holding their own with the likes of Leeds and St Helens. A day too when two young French half backs in different colours stole the show – who would have thought that.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

22 minutes ago, audois said:

Super day at the footie yesterday. Missed Jordan Flove’s opening score in the Academy game and Jack Owens late winner for Saints. In between met up with timtum and barnyia along with Ben Pomeroy and his young family. Dragons U19s (50-28) fantastic win against last years champions. The young Saints side on top early on with their full back Smith much in view led at the break. I thought the locals were just holding on even when they sneaked ahead. On the hour mark their resistance was still holding. But the surge to the winning line was impressive. Liked wing Flove’s input yet again but here it was the 2m high Le Cam in the back row who really stood out with a fine hat trick of tries. Seems to a have good-skills set and temperament with it. But like at Headingley last week  it was Albert’s leadership and involvement which brought them home converting all eight tries and scoring one him self.

Thought the main match was going to be basketball score line early on before order was restored. From then on it was an intensive and drama battle right to the very end. For Catalans even in defeat there were positives. The pack has some grunt about it with Moa’s arrival and Bousquet continutes to advance – tries in successive games for him. Thought Aiton had one of his best games in the Catalans jumper after a difficult first year. Myler and Walsh too showed signs here that progress is being made. It’s behind them though where I think the challenge is. 1-5 lacks something not helped by constant changes. Michael Monaghan who was watching the Academy game seems to be more involved this year; he certainly spends some running on to the pitch.

Overall pretty pleased – the Academy game made the day it for me. After Carney and even Bird the future here is still about French involvement going forward. Just two years in with the Academy and more than holding their own with the likes of Leeds and St Helens. A day too when two young French half backs in different colours stole the show – who would have thought that.

Pinpoint statement about the U19. 

If I had to name 3 performers in that order : Albert, Le Cam, Flovie. Albert is way ahead of everyone, manages the game just fine and didn't even shift to 2nd gear, he has way more behind his feet. Le Cam scored 3, made an impact in defense where he can grab guys 3 meters away from him, not surprising as he's listed as 2m05 tall, he even showed skills with ball in hand, he needs to bulk up a good bit but he has "SL" written all over him. Flovie did what a Flovie does, good under the high ball, and a lot of meters from kick returns.

41 minutes ago, audois said:

Super day at the footie yesterday. Missed Jordan Flove’s opening score in the Academy game and Jack Owens late winner for Saints. In between met up with timtum and barnyia along with Ben Pomeroy and his young family. Dragons U19s (50-28) fantastic win against last years champions. The young Saints side on top early on with their full back Smith much in view led at the break. I thought the locals were just holding on even when they sneaked ahead. On the hour mark their resistance was still holding. But the surge to the winning line was impressive. Liked wing Flove’s input yet again but here it was the 2m high Le Cam in the back row who really stood out with a fine hat trick of tries. Seems to a have good-skills set and temperament with it. But like at Headingley last week  it was Albert’s leadership and involvement which brought them home converting all eight tries and scoring one him self.

Thought the main match was going to be basketball score line early on before order was restored. From then on it was an intensive and drama battle right to the very end. For Catalans even in defeat there were positives. The pack has some grunt about it with Moa’s arrival and Bousquet continutes to advance – tries in successive games for him. Thought Aiton had one of his best games in the Catalans jumper after a difficult first year. Myler and Walsh too showed signs here that progress is being made. It’s behind them though where I think the challenge is. 1-5 lacks something not helped by constant changes. Michael Monaghan who was watching the Academy game seems to be more involved this year; he certainly spends some running on to the pitch.

Overall pretty pleased – the Academy game made the day it for me. After Carney and even Bird the future here is still about French involvement going forward. Just two years in with the Academy and more than holding their own with the likes of Leeds and St Helens. A day too when two young French half backs in different colours stole the show – who would have thought that.

What a good read and great to hear about the development of the French kids in the u19's. Ideally I'd love to see these youngsters be given a chance in the dragons 1st team or being picked up by other super league clubs like springer, escare, pelissier etc if the dragons continue to stack their team/squad with overseas players.

19 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Pinpoint statement about the U19. 

If I had to name 3 performers in that order : Albert, Le Cam, Flovie. Albert is way ahead of everyone, manages the game just fine and didn't even shift to 2nd gear, he has way more behind his feet. Le Cam scored 3, made an impact in defense where he can grab guys 3 meters away from him, not surprising as he's listed as 2m05 tall, he even showed skills with ball in hand, he needs to bulk up a good bit but he has "SL" written all over him. Flovie did what a Flovie does, good under the high ball, and a lot of meters from kick returns.

Hvy wg do you think players like Albert,le cam and flovie would benefit from a season long loan with English based super league sides rather than playing in the u23's side than compete in elite1 when they're too old for the u19's??

4 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Hvy wg do you think players like Albert,le cam and flovie would benefit from a season long loan with English based super league sides rather than playing in the u23's side than compete in elite1 when they're too old for the u19's??

U23 will play against english U23 sides. Like a mini comp of U23 SL sides. Albert will definitely play for us this season no reason to loan him. Both Flovie would benefit from loaning yes but the one who IMO needs it the most is Seguier. Needs to bulk up and play against grown men a couple seasons.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:32 PM, GeordieSaint said:

What is the rule with dragging?

Its annoying when we have dumb ass commentators who don't know the rules. Its only a 'drag' if the player is on the floor (ball carrying arm touched the floor) or if their momentum has completely stopped and even then its only a penalty if it continues if the ref has called held.

The Inu one is no different to a tackle you see all the time across the pitch where its perfectly legal to grab a player by the shirt collar and drag them backwards towards their own line until the Ref calls held. Dragging a player by the shirt, standing up and still moving isn't a penalty

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived