media interest at last

Seaton Sandy

Being based in Carlisle the local rag never has any coverage of rugby league -amateur or semi-pro so I was amazed to find tonight's edition of the News and Star suddenly focussed on the future of the greatest game in our county . First off is an item by one Mark Green who's metier is normally scran and wine. All of a sudden he is an advocate of a Town/jam merger citing "Petty rivalry" as the stumbling block to a combined club. If this journo has ever been to a Town or Jam match I will show my ar*e in Burton's window. He seems to believe that the 2 clubs have a parallel history and fails to recognise that Town's trophy cabinet is stuffed while the pretenders have won absolutely zero.   Move on to an article written by Walshy about the state of the amateur game in west Cumbria based on an interview with Paul Williamson and that is truly the state of play at this time. Paul really has his finger on the pulse and what he says about the future of our game makes chilling reading. Go back to the aubergine risotto and amarone Mark and leave the frail future of Cumbrian rugby league to those of us who really care. 

a merger is a gamble , will it create a bigger joint match day crowd or will it make half the people from both sides quit going ? where would the ground be that would suit both sides ? Travelling out of the Haven area would be a new thing for most Haven fans as it would be for some Town fans to watch a home match . It would take time and if the results dont come in and theres a run of defeats then the support could vanish .

Although west cumbrian RL is at a low point at the moment relegation is not the end of the world as the media is making out. Both clubs have been here before and have arguably been in worse situations before. They will bounce back and its not the end of the world. Onwards and upwards

He might be usually on the wine column but he's got it right. It is the stumbling block. We're on our arris as are Whitehaven. It's the only way forward I think. 

He must be simply "on the wine " if he presumes to represent the situation between them and us as "petty rivalry" . But there again he has a column to write and why let ignorance of the facts get in the way of a misinformed media rant ?  I suppose we all ,ultimately ,have our own agenda -- not least those whos interests intriguingly overlap between the two factions ?? :ph34r:

Although west cumbrian RL is at a low point at the moment relegation is not the end of the world as the media is making out. Both clubs have been here before and have arguably been in worse situations before. They will bounce back and its not the end of the world. Onwards and upwards

Could actually do the amateurs a favour as the gap between amateur and semi pro isn't as big now meaning more amateurs could make the transition.

Being based in Carlisle the local rag never has any coverage of rugby league -amateur or semi-pro so I was amazed to find tonight's edition of the News and Star suddenly focussed on the future of the greatest game in our county . First off is an item by one Mark Green who's metier is normally scran and wine. All of a sudden he is an advocate of a Town/jam merger citing "Petty rivalry" as the stumbling block to a combined club. If this journo has ever been to a Town or Jam match I will show my ar*e in Burton's window. He seems to believe that the 2 clubs have a parallel history and fails to recognise that Town's trophy cabinet is stuffed while the pretenders have won absolutely zero.   Move on to an article written by Walshy about the state of the amateur game in west Cumbria based on an interview with Paul Williamson and that is truly the state of play at this time. Paul really has his finger on the pulse and what he says about the future of our game makes chilling reading. Go back to the aubergine risotto and amarone Mark and leave the frail future of Cumbrian rugby league to those of us who really care. 

Just more lazy journalism from a mickey mouse paper that now charges 75p a go, which is 10p dearer than the Daily Mail and god knows how much dearer than the Daily Star (never read it, honest).

Sometimes it takes someone who is impartial to look at situation more clearly than people involved.

Rugby league is dying in west Cumbria like it or not,500 watching both town and haven if they are lucky next season isnt good for business,we couldn't get decent crowds this season even with a player like sammut to watch. We need to do something to get people back interested and a merger is the last chance saloon before its RIP...

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Sometimes it takes someone who is impartial to look at situation more clearly than people involved.

Rugby league is dying in west Cumbria like it or not,500 watching both town and haven if they are lucky next season isnt good for business,we couldn't get decent crowds this season even with a player like sammut to watch. We need to do something to get people back interested and a merger is the last chance saloon before its RIP...

It's one thing being impartial but knowing sod-all about the subject hardly qualifies this particular hack to stick his oar in. The only acceptable way forward for me is to re-build a Town side capable of capturing the attention and respect of the local players and the community at large. Needless to say, knocking seven shades out of the jambos along our road to redemption is a requirement. 

It's one thing being impartial but knowing sod-all about the subject hardly qualifies this particular hack to stick his oar in. The only acceptable way forward for me is to re-build a Town side capable of capturing the attention and respect of the local players and the community at large. Needless to say, knocking seven shades out of the jambos along our road to redemption is a requirement.

nothing I would like better than a Town team capable of playing top notch rugby again god knows I've had spent £1000s over the years in the hope it will happen,but playing Hemel etc as to be a new low and how we get out of it is behond me with the crowds we're getting. I'll be there next season like I've been for the last 30 odd year but I'm not so sure others sadly will be...

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

nothing I would like better than a Town team capable of playing top notch rugby again god knows I've had spent £1000s over the years in the hope it will happen,but playing Hemel etc as to be a new low and how we get out of it is behond me with the crowds we're getting. I'll be there next season like I've been for the last 30 odd year but I'm not so sure others sadly will be...

Was it the recent hemmel v south wales game that had a crowd of 80

these things happen unfortunately , its only 3 seasons ago that town were promoted and probably inevitably now relegated , town have been here before a few times and managed to climb back , all be it for a short while , but until the rfl get a grip it is always going to be the case for semi pro clubs outside of the yorkshire lancashire heartlands .

Was it the recent hemmel v south wales game that had a crowd of 80

ffs RL as gone backwards since super league as been around,think the game needs a massive rethink!!

Bottom line is people around here are apathetic and don't really care about Town apart from the 500 or so diehards. Take the appeal for money as example, we got about £1,500 from memory. Sheffield started one this week and they've raised £9k already. That apathy will get worse now we are relegated and the new regime are going to have one hell of a job on their hands to resurrect this club. I hope for the best but fear the worst.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Bottom line is people around here are apathetic and don't really care about Town apart from the 500 or so diehards. Take the appeal for money as example, we got about £1,500 from memory. Sheffield started one this week and they've raised £9k already. That apathy will get worse now we are relegated and the new regime are going to have one hell of a job on their hands to resurrect this club. I hope for the best but fear the worst.

Was that the just giving money ?There was also the shares and the naming of seats which fans purchased,does anyone know how much that raised?

To be fair though , demographically Sheffield is a much bigger beast than Workington and,if their financial problems are as bad as they say then 9 grand won't even buy a sticking plaster.

To be fair though , demographically Sheffield is a much bigger beast than Workington and,if their financial problems are as bad as they say then 9 grand won't even buy a sticking plaster.

Sheffields original investor is set to return after some local issues were resolved.

Reading between the lines it looks like it was a dramatic statement to put a bit of pressure on a few people to get their fingers out. The plan looks to have worked and things are now happening.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

I feel really sorry for the players now. They should not have to be playing week in week out not even having a full team. It's a hard enough game with 17 players never mind 14 or 15 week in week out! I just hope one of them doesn't end up with a serious injury because of it! Just do your best lads and all get through it injury free. It's no wonder the players want to look elsewhere the way they are being treat!

I feel really sorry for the players now. They should not have to be playing week in week out not even having a full team. It's a hard enough game with 17 players never mind 14 or 15 week in week out! I just hope one of them doesn't end up with a serious injury because of it! Just do your best lads and all get through it injury free. It's no wonder the players want to look elsewhere the way they are being treat!

Why? How are they being treat?

They have run out of fit players.

Always have been always will be the pride of West Cumbria!

Because they shouldn't have to be playing all these weeks without a full team, some of them are injured themselves and are still playing week in week out and on top of that have had to take a pay cut. I take my hat off to them for sticking by the club and they should be the 1st Ines we try & sign back on.

Archived