Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

I've got some beef shin marinading, to go into the slow cooker later today. I'm already salivating a bit.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Here's a thing and it costs next to nothing, and it gives you working class street cred as well

Get a cucumber. Peel it and slice it into discs.

Get an onion peel it and slice it into rings.

Put them in a bowl and mix them up.

Get some bog standard malt vinegar, no balsamic, red wine etc type vinegar allowed and I'm serious when I say that.

Put the vinegar into the bowl until it covers the onion and cucumber.

Strictly no seasoning.

You now have an accompaniment to meat hot or cold, meat on a sandwich, salad, and with pie and peas and so on. When the onion and cucumber is used up. You can replenish the vinegar by adding more onion and cucumber. Or you can use the by now onion infused vinegar on your fish and chips. 

I love this stuff and I can't walk past the bowl without snagging a slice of onion or cucumber. It reminds me of my gran.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Here's a thing and it costs next to nothing, and it gives you working class street cred as well

Get some bog standard malt vinegar, no balsamic, red wine etc type vinegar allowed and I'm serious when I say that.

Strictly no seasoning.

You now have an accompaniment to meat hot or cold, meat on a sandwich, salad, and with pie and peas and so on. When the onion and cucumber is used up. You can replenish the vinegar by adding more onion and cucumber. Or you can use the by now onion infused vinegar on your fish and chips. 

I love this stuff and I can't walk past the bowl without snagging a slice of onion or cucumber. It reminds me of my gran.

Was always a dish of this on the table at my grandma's for Sunday dinner. Top notch.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

33 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Strictly no seasoning.

That's perilously close to pickling, which is very big in metrosexual restaurants these days. ;) 

For a version of the above condiment with more of a kick, maybe you could try adding sliced radishes. Either the little red'n'white ones, or the bigger white ones like daikon/mooli.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That's perilously close to pickling, which is very big in metrosexual restaurants these days. ;) 

For a version of the above condiment with more of a kick, maybe you could try adding sliced radishes. Either the little red'n'white ones, or the bigger white ones like daikon/mooli.

I knew you'd be the one.

NOOOO!!!

Will you be told.

21 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

I knew you'd be the one.

NOOOO!!!

Will you be told.

Don't get your hipster beard in a twist. :D 

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Just done some..... you set me off. A memory from another era....

Agreed with the recipe.... keep it as it is and resist getting too poncey

At the risk of being called a ##### my nan's concoction also included shredded lettuce.

It appears the word po nce is frowned upon

Edited by Moose

25 minutes ago, Moose said:

At the risk of being called a ##### my nan's concoction also included shredded lettuce.

It appears the word po nce is frowned upon

Lettuce? I'd have thought that would go soggy quite quickly.

Cabbage (red or white) would hold up better, structurally, and add more flavour/texture of its own to the mix.

Edited by Futtocks

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Just done some..... you set me off. A memory from another era....

Agreed with the recipe.... keep it as it is and resist getting too poncey

I made some last night. I've nicked half of it already.

The Oriental food hall up the road has finally opened its accompanying supermarket. Plenty of interesting things to eat and drink, including bamboo charcoal peanuts, which I haven't had in ages.

2014-Rushed-New-Arrival-Freeshipping-Com

Tea.

Chicken wings.... clipped and separated.

Home made Creole seasoning rubbed in..

40 mins in oven then apply wet sauce and do another 15 mins.

Made a blue cheese dressing to serve wi celery.

Unashamedly nicked off the hairy bikers.

Edited by Robin Evans

6 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Tea.

Chicken wings.... clipped and separated.

Home made Creole seasoning rubbed in..

40 mins in oven then apply wet sauce and do another 15 mins.

Made a blue cheese dressing to serve wi celery.

Unashamedly nicked off the hairy bikers.

Got a load of chicken breast cut into chunky strips in the oven, marinated in ginger, garlic, chilli, lemon juice  coriander,  soy sauce and  honey, going to go with pita and some nice salad. Aroma permeating the gaff nicely.

A rack of pork ribs, marinated overnight in Korean Bulgogi sauce. Currently in the slow cooker and smelling good. 

On 8/7/2017 at 4:48 PM, Futtocks said:

L'Enclume? Nice!

I never forgave them for the celery ice cream finisher.  Just utterly vile and ruined the meal.

Mister Saucisse made London sausages sizzling in the pan.  

Shoulder of pork, no added fat, rusk, water (that'll be the profit thank you very much), cracked black pepper, sea salt and sage.

I was always told not to trust a landlord who doesn't drink in his own boozer.  Never trust a food producer who doesn't gorge themselves on their own products !

I've really enjoyed reading this everyone I was feeling hungry and it made me make some comfort blast from the past .....

I think you need to get a grip though because however you sugar coat it (cooking metaphor, there) there's nothing more poncey than a discussion about cooking.:biggrin:

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

People who use the word 'poncey' about cooking just don't get how much fun it is to muck about with razor-sharp blades and fire. ;) 

• Like 1