Food and drink thread

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Hash browns, fried sprats, several wedges of lemon and some mayonnaise (the latter because I forgot to buy tartare sauce).

That's good eatin'!

Mayo is the devils polycell, I'd rather have salad cream

Edited by Tongs ya bas
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Mayo is the devils polycell, I'd rather have salad cream

Salad cream is all right for class warriors, or those whose tastebuds have been burned away by eating acrid, corrosive toxic waste like, well, salad cream.

And it will also please those who still can't adjust to the end of post-WWII rationing. By the way, did you know you can still buy powdered egg? You can thank the health-food loonies for the return of another joyless staple of austerity eating. Apparently it's a "healthy fat" - this week at least. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I nipped into Morrisons today and bought two pigs trotters, so its Crubeens for tea tomorrow and I bought some tripe for tripe and onions on Wednesday.

I'll get a hairy chest yet!

Compared to other supermarkets, the meat department at Morrisons always delivers interesting, keenly-priced cuts, alongside the standard stuff. I had ox cheek on Sunday, which was very tasty.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget those dilettantes at Gregg's, here' the Pork Nativity!

DOs0AVwWsAAxhYf.jpg

• Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 11/13/2017 at 7:57 PM, Futtocks said:

Salad cream is all right for class warriors, or those whose tastebuds have been burned away by eating acrid, corrosive toxic waste like, well, salad cream.

And it will also please those who still can't adjust to the end of post-WWII rationing. By the way, did you know you can still buy powdered egg? You can thank the health-food loonies for the return of another joyless staple of austerity eating. Apparently it's a "healthy fat" - this week at least. :rolleyes: 

I spent my post ww2 early childhood playing out in the backs clutching a salad cream sandwich in my mucky fist. 

Made some chilli paneer for me tea - hot and spicy, but not so hot it wasn't wolfable :heat:

Very cold Polish lager at hand, purely precautionary and just to be on the safe side.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

Chicken breasts, seasoned with salt & pepper, coated on top with a layer of red pepper hummus, topped with a little lemon zest and smoked paprika. Baked in the oven for about 25 minutes. Very easy, very tasty.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 13/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, Futtocks said:

Hash browns, fried sprats, several wedges of lemon and some mayonnaise (the latter because I forgot to buy tartare sauce).

That's good eatin'!

Add finely chopped gherkin and capers, teaspoon of lemon juice and plenty of dill - voila - home-made tartare sauce. Miles better than shop bought.

Make sure the mayonnaise is Hellman's though.

Trying this place today, sounds promising.

http://www.theoldcowshedchisworth.co.uk/

Donny market.... a stall there sells the best black pud I've ever tasted....

Question.

Does anyone know if you can still buy weasand ? Tripey Lisa on Donny market says they'e not allowed to sell it anymore but wasn't sure if that was a country wide law or just her provider?

Edited by Robin Evans

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Donny market.... a stall there sells the best black pud I've ever tasted....

Question.

Does anyone know if you can still buy weasand ? Tripey Lisa on Donny market says they'e not allowed to sell it anymore but wasn't sure if that was a country wide law or just her provider?

Which animal's weasand are you looking for? Probably a decent chance of finding it would be at an Oriental supermarket.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Which animal's weasand are you looking for? Probably a decent chance of finding it would be at an Oriental supermarket.

I think you can get it in China town in Leeds, at the top of vicar lane. Leeds China town is a shadow of its old self but you can still get some interesting examples of animal physiology. 

Personally, not for me. But I bet I've eaten a fair bit in some of the sausages I've had down the years.

18 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Beef would be my preference 

It seems to be mainly sold dried, as a dog treat.

As it is beef gullet you want, I doubt that an Oriental supermarket would have it after all. They mostly do chicken and pork "bits".

I suppose, if you find a butcher that has direct links with a farm supplier, they might be able to get it for you.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Roast lamb (with honey & rosemary), mashed potatoes and sautéed samphire. Perfect food for the season.

Ralph Waldo Emerson