toulouse

The RFL has now issued a press release stating that Toulouse do indeed have to reach the 2010 Grand Final to apply for a 2012 Super League licence.

An RFL official told our correspondent Mike Rylance that they didn't have to, but it seems that the RFL got it wrong.

Hmm?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Statement just released by RFL

Toulouse Olympique and Super League licensing

The RFL has confirmed that Toulouse Olympique do need to appear in the 2010 Co-operative Championship Grand Final to earn the right to apply for a Super League licence from the 2012 season onwards.

Contrary to some reports, the mechanism by which Toulouse can apply for a Super League licence remains unchanged from the position in 2008, when the last round of licensing was completed.

Should they reach the Grand Final, Toulouse Olympique will also have to address factors that are not relevant to UK-based Championship clubs, including how a second French club can add to Super League.

recently iv defended the franchise system as it has seen us grow as a club...but now im looking at an rfl which is taking th MICK! youd think they would learn their lessons learnt from Celtic....no lets just brush that under the rug and have another go........ there must be a way of getting lewis and woods out

YOU CANT CRUSH PRIDE!!!!

A season dedicated to Gareth John Swift

League winners 2010

Martyn Sadler (RL Express Journo) has posted on the rlfans.com forum ....

"The RFL has now issued a press release stating that Toulouse do indeed have to reach the 2010 Grand Final to apply for a 2012 Super League licence. An RFL official told our correspondent Mike Rylance that they didn't have to, but it seems that the RFL got it wrong."

Presuming he's not a doppleganger, it may well be business as usual.

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2...5&start=135 Page 10 and page 11

According to the League Express the Toulouse club knew right from the outset that they wouldn't need to qualify for the GF in order to gain a SL licence while everyone else within the game was being deliberately deceived by the RFL. The professional game at our level is being systematically dismantled in order to create a feeder system to save SL clubs the expense of running reserve sides, dual registration being the start. If the Championship clubs don't discover some 'bottle' soon and stand up to these destructive influences, the game below SL is dead, no two ways about it.

It will be very interesting to see how the clubs react to this. I'm not holding my breath. Lambs to the slaughter once again, I fear.

'Toulouse do have to qualify for a grand final and in fact the conditions regding a place in Super League for them are more stringent and wider ranging than for UK clubs. This story has come about through a misunderstanding-an error in translation' This is verbatim what John Ledger the RFL media officer told me this afternoon.

The RFL have apologised to League Express for the misunderstanding according to managing editor martyn sadler elsewhere on this website-the TRL forum.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I'm sure that the paper were quite careful before publishing such an incendiary story. My guess is that it may have been an 'off the record' comment that has been allowed to slip through.

The rebuttal by the RFL comes as no surprise whatsoever.

As a start I'm going to have Sky Sports turned off.

As a finish, if this whole sorry fiasco turns out to be true, then I'm finished with RL for good.

I'm sure that the paper were quite careful before publishing such an incendiary story. My guess is that it may have been an 'off the record' comment that has been allowed to slip through.

The rebuttal by the RFL comes as no surprise whatsoever.

As a start I'm going to have Sky Sports turned off.

As a finish, if this whole sorry fiasco turns out to be true, then I'm finished with RL for good.

I just wonder if there has been a big uproar and that this is just a feeble backtracking excuse? From what I have heard and seen of French officials they have good English and therefore why is a translation necessary? If the status quo was the operating theme as now stated why make a statement at all initially? One was not necessary.

How the hell can we believe a word they say. Has everyone forgotten the constant lies they sprouted regarding Celtic NOT being guaranteed a franchise. Have we also forgotten all the bias referee decisions which allowed them to get promoted from division 2 and yet again the bias to allow them to win a Grand Final place the year after. Its a total joke and will continue whilst the present idiots are in charge. We have little chance of overturning any vote now super league clubs have 2 votes to our 1 .

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

An "error in translation" my ar$e. The remark was from a RL official to a reporter from League Express. And why did the Toulouse Chairman say they had known they were exempt from getting to a grand final from the start.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

An "error in translation" my ar$e. The remark was from a RL official to a reporter from League Express. And why did the Toulouse Chairman say they had known they were exempt from getting to a grand final from the start.

you know who I am I'm a Rovers fan the same as you.

I have also known John Ledger for many years. He is not a liar. In the past he has been very helpful to me, and therefore to Rovers.

Mr Ledger attends Rovers games. If you wish I can introduce him to you and you can say what you have just said to his face. I estend the same invitation to jamescollin who also seems to think Ledger is a liar.

Keeping it local

I have also known John Ledger for many years. He is not a liar. In the past he has been very helpful to me, and therefore to Rovers.

Mr Ledger attends Rovers games. If you wish I can introduce him to you and you can say what you have just said to his face. I estend the same invitation to jamescollin who also seems to think Ledger is a liar.

Let me be clear, I do not seek to suggest anyone is telling lies. However the explanation you have relayed here doesn't seem to me to provide a full answer. In saying that I appreciate the you personally are simply passing on what you have been told.

I can happily accept that the comments of the Toulouse Chairman have been 'lost in translation', it wouldn't be the first or last time something of that nature had occurred. The only way I can make sense of this is to assume that LE got their story initially from the Toulouse Chairman's comments(which were misunderstood) and then put this to the RFL for clarification and were told it was correct. That they were told it was correct by the RFL can not, by any reasonable consideration of the circumstances, be attributed to 'translation'.

Things would be far clearer if Mr Ledger or the RFL chose to explain how or why they failed to understand their own rules. They are, naturally, free to explain as much, or as little, as they choose but blaming translation when that clearly cannot address their own role in this does them no favours and only invites cynicism, imho, of course.

Quite happy to talk to him. My remarks were intended for the RFL but if he feels he has been maligned then I will be on the GG at the next home match, Miller Gate. If he wishes he can discuss this matter to his hearts content.

Let me be clear, I do not seek to suggest anyone is telling lies. However the explanation you have relayed here doesn't seem to me to provide a full answer. In saying that I appreciate the you personally are simply passing on what you have been told.

I can happily accept that the comments of the Toulouse Chairman have been 'lost in translation', it wouldn't be the first or last time something of that nature had occurred. The only way I can make sense of this is to assume that LE got their story initially from the Toulouse Chairman's comments(which were misunderstood) and then put this to the RFL for clarification and were told it was correct. That they were told it was correct by the RFL can not, by any reasonable consideration of the circumstances, be attributed to 'translation'.

Things would be far clearer if Mr Ledger or the RFL chose to explain how or why they failed to understand their own rules. They are, naturally, free to explain as much, or as little, as they choose but blaming translation when that clearly cannot address their own role in this does them no favours and only invites cynicism, imho, of course.

My computer is acting up. This is the 6th time I have tried. If Mr Ledger wants a word then I will be on the Miller gate at the next home match. My comments were aimed at the RFL and I never mentioned his name. But if he feels he needs a word then so be it. Quite happy to discuss it with him.

Where in this post have i called anyone a liar. I merely speculated how an "error in translation" could occur between an un-named League Express reporter and an un-named RFL official.

Read the paragraph - But now an RFL spokesman revealed to League Express that this was no longer the case, because Toulouse's situation was "more fluid" than other clubs and the French club would be "judged by different criteria" which don't apply to other clubs. - As you can see no names from either side were referred to. How have i called anyone a liar when no one is even mentioned.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

Quite happy to talk to him. My remarks were intended for the RFL but if he feels he has been maligned then I will be on the GG at the next home match, Miller Gate. If he wishes he can discuss this matter to his hearts content.

I'm sure he would be honoured.

presumably you will be maaking the same insinuations about his honsewsty should the eventuality arsie

Keeping it local

Where in this post have i called anyone a liar. I merely speculated how an "error in translation" could occur between an un-named League Express reporter and an un-named RFL official.

Read the paragraph - But now an RFL spokesman revealed to League Express that this was no longer the case, because Toulouse's situation was "more fluid" than other clubs and the French club would be "judged by different criteria" which don't apply to other clubs. - As you can see no names from either side were referred to. How have i called anyone a liar when no one is even mentioned.

check your posting the rfl via John Ledger have said that the story is erroneous.

to be honest I don't really care.

I took the time and trouble to contact the appropriate person aboutb this story and gave accredited replies to it on here to be helpful(don't metion it): to give people the facts.

the response has been perfectly in line with the zeitgeist of this 'forum'.

why bother eh

Keeping it local

This story has come about through a misunderstanding-an error in translation' This is verbatim what John Ledger the RFL media officer told me this afternoon.

So why does Martyn Sadler maintain that the origin of the story came from the RFL ? That being the case, how could there be an error in translation - I mean I know some of you Yorkies can be incomprehensible at times but surely there isn't that big a language barrier between Brighouse and Leeds ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

my apologies but I don't understand a word of that

I just supplied some first hand accredited information to clarify a situation.

I'll know wbetter in future.

Keeping it local