Play-Offs to catch fire at last

Looks like the best play-off series ever is about to begin, I would imagine that three of the four ties next weekend will post huge gates if not produce sell-out crowds which after last years disapointing turn outs is surely not before time. Is this a vindication of a) the play off system, b salary capping and standards leveling out or c) improving entertainment value of the game? discuss.

Edited by Southern Tiger

If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

titansnewsword2.jpg

Looks like the best play-off series ever is about to begin,

Agree totally. Starting with Bramley Buffaloes v Warrington Wizards this coming Saturday at the Arthur Miller Stadium, Stanningley, ko 2.30pm, in the Co-operative Rugby League Conference National Qualifying semi-final.

One versus two and the closest of rivals. Get there early! :D

This weekend of super league play off games, has thrown up the 3 fixtures that will arguably please the neutrals.

Saints v Wire - Can't remember the last one that was not a classic, and will wire finally do it!!

Hull v Hull KR - Should be even more Fire with it being play off knockout.

Wigan v Leeds - Again always classics and the winner will be in the driving seat to get to Old Trafford.

I for one can't wait for the weekend!!

Looks like the best play-off series ever is about to begin, I would imagine that three of the four ties next weekend will post huge gates if not produce sell-out crowds which after last years disapointing turn outs is surely not before time. Is this a vindication of a) the play off system, b salary capping and standards leveling out or c) improving entertainment value of the game? discuss.

You forgot d) a very lucky coincidence that has left us with 3 of the biggest ties in the SL at the biggest ground of the two teams.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

We got a game too, against crusaders i think

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Sorry?...who did you say you were again?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Sorry?...who did you say you were again?

Just that pissy little club that happened by chance to hit the 8 again this year

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

It may well be the best of the lot, it is sudden death and both teams in good form. I get the feeling Crusaders will be right up for this and the Giants will need to be at their best.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

It's a sad fact that these games will almost definitely have lower crowds than their regular Super League games.

Even though they are mouthwatering clashes with some of them big derbies, the evidence from previous seasons suggests that they will be distinctly average crowds. Even Saints Wigan last year didn't sellout.

They should find a way to include them in season tickets because it's detrimental to the playoffs to see lower crowds than usual.

Which three do you think will post huge crowds?

People called Romans they go the house

It's a sad fact that these games will almost definitely have lower crowds than their regular Super League games.

Even though they are mouthwatering clashes with some of them big derbies, the evidence from previous seasons suggests that they will be distinctly average crowds. Even Saints Wigan last year didn't sellout.

They should find a way to include them in season tickets because it's detrimental to the playoffs to see lower crowds than usual.

These suffer from exactly the same problem that the Challenge Cup does. I am surprised that all the games don't have a reduced price, it is

I know. I think the problem is that the RFL take all gate receipts from the games meaning they are unlikely to change it.

Last year there were only 6,000 at a playoff game involving Saints and Huddersfield and 4,000 for Wakefield against Catalans. It hardly does wonders for the prestige of the playoffs.

I certainly hope this year's will be better than last years, Warrington should take a load to KR, and in turn the Saints fans should respond in numbers, if you get over 12k it looks ok on TV.

Wigan fans have backed their team this year, so hopefully they will get a decent amount, although I wouldn't b surprised if it was around the 12k mark.

Hull v KR has a good chance of a good crowd, although I would expect 15k rather than over 20k that this game would often get.

Hudds v Crusaders is the worrying one, but I can live with one looking bad on TV compared to pretty much all of them last year!

I believe that Hudds have some tickets at

I know. I think the problem is that the RFL take all gate receipts from the games meaning they are unlikely to change it.

In fact looking again, it seems that every game is priced differently:

Wigan v Leeds

North Stand

Hull v KR has a good chance of a good crowd, although I would expect 15k rather than over 20k that this game would often get.

If this game's not close to a sell out, I'll be amazed.

If this game's not close to a sell out, I'll be amazed.

After I wrote that I noticed that Hull KR have already sold 3k and had a further 2k sent on.

I was basing it on the fact that the game got 20k in the league where over 10k will have been in on season tickets. I would expect this would be lower, but will be very happy if I'm wrong about that.

After I wrote that I noticed that Hull KR have already sold 3k and had a further 2k sent on.

I was basing it on the fact that the game got 20k in the league where over 10k will have been in on season tickets. I would expect this would be lower, but will be very happy if I'm wrong about that.

Dave, if the KC draws 16k for a pre season friendly between the two clubs where everybody paid, then a sell out looks highly likely for arguably the biggest game between the two for thirty years.

At least, that's what the media over here are claiming it is.

Me? I have no recollection of a big game between the two in 1980. Clearly shum mishtake....

Some folk were queueing for tickets from 4.30am Monday :O , apparently, if you read this article. Seems if you read the comments underneath, the girlieball fans are feeling a little threatened at the prospect of a sell out at the KC for rugby...

Edited by Old Frightful

Dave, if the KC draws 16k for a pre season friendly between the two clubs were everybody paid, then a sell out looks highly likely for arguably the biggest game between the two for thirty years.

Me? I have no recollection of a big game between the two in 1980. Clearly shum mishtake....

Hope you are right mate, just being conservative I suppose after seeing so many below par crowds in playoff an cup games.

There is an extremely high level of interest in the Hull derby. Folk who normally have no interest in the game have been asking me to get tickets for them. I expect this game to sell out with a 23,000+ gate. It is rare for a play off fixture gate to exceed the corresponding league gate, but this will prove the exception.

And I will miss it all due to a badly timed holiday! :(

Edited by Doolittle

Dave, if the KC draws 16k for a pre season friendly between the two clubs where everybody paid, then a sell out looks highly likely for arguably the biggest game between the two for thirty years.

Some folk were queueing for tickets from 4.30am Monday :O , apparently, if you read this article. Seems if you read the comments underneath, the girlieball fans are feeling a little threatened at the prospect of a sell out at the KC for rugby...

Looks like you are right mate, apparently there are only 7.5k tickets left, meaning that 15.5kish have been sold, excellent effort so far!