Paul Sykes in E ngland squad AGAIN!

Steve Mcnamara has named 10 of his 37 squad for the 4 nations. Obviously he can only pick from teams not involved in the play offs. And once again Paul Sykes has been picked. What has he ever done for England (or Bradford) ?

Why not put Sheriffe and Platt in for good measure!

I believe the squad will be trimmed but I bet Sykes doesnt get cut!

Whilst McNamara remains coach I will not support England RL or attend any international games. England have enough problems trying to be competitive with Australia and NZ without having a clueless buffoon who was a complete failure at club level, now running the show and picking his undeserving favourites.

Warriors_Logo_Band_396.jpg

oderint dum metuant

Whilst McNamara remains coach I will not support England RL or attend any international games. England have enough problems trying to be competitive with Australia and NZ without having a clueless buffoon who was a complete failure at club level, now running the show and picking his undeserving favourites.

Agree with all the post, except I'll still support them (i think :( )

Great way to get behind your country.

Cant stand Macca myself(as a coach), but it wont stop me from supporting my country in the game I love.

I don't think my personal support will make much difference to their fortunes in all honesty and given that it remains personal choice to support and / or attend any team's games rather than an obligation, I feel that under the present circumstances I cannot justify following England as that in my view would provide endorsement for the current regime to which I am currently dissatisfied.

International RL is a luxury in my book - I love the game as much as anyone, but my loyal and unwavering support will always be reserved for Wigan only.

oderint dum metuant

International competition is the pinnacle for me, and that goes for any sport. BUt I'm waiting to see what squad the RFL allows McNamara to pick before getting excited about the four nations. If Willie Manu or Chris Heighington are selected then I'll not be watching.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

what if (and its a big IF) he actually proves you wrong, that he can bring the best out of these players?? that he can actually coach and that he has learnt from his mistakes at Bradford..

There is an argument that a good national coach is not necesasrily the same thing as a good club coach, you are dealing with different qualities of players and you have your pick of whoever you want (even more so in league where you can switch someones nationality like it was a light bulb!) so if there is an injury you dont have to worry about the salary cap or transfers or who you have in the squad in the academy etc you jut pick somene better.. also it is about massaging egos and gelling the team together from different squads rather than sorting out your club etc.. getting shot of a trouble maker is easier than at club level.. etc etc etc..

its an argument that i think applies to league as it does to every other sport..

i dont necessarily think Mcnamamanamayrmamarm will prove this to be correct in his case as i dont think he has the attributes to be a good national coach but what if he does... and proves you wrong?

what if (and its a big IF) he actually proves you wrong, that he can bring the best out of these players?? that he can actually coach and that he has learnt from his mistakes at Bradford..

Well he wasn't able to bring the best out of Sykes after having access to him every day of the week (or maybe what we're seeing is the best Sykes will ever be ?)

Of the 10 at least the others have had decent seasons for their clubs where as Sykes has just been bl**dy awful !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Well he wasn't able to bring the best out of Sykes after having access to him every day of the week (or maybe what we're seeing is the best Sykes will ever be ?)

Of the 10 at least the others have had decent seasons for their clubs where as Sykes has just been bl**dy awful !

dont disagree i wouldnt have sykes in myself.. its a more general point when people say they will "never support england again while mcnamara is incharge becuase he is rubbish" what if he isnt rubbish there will be some people who love their RL who will miss out on world cup wins etc potentially,.

i dont necessarily think Mcnamamanamayrmamarm will prove this to be correct in his case as i dont think he has the attributes to be a good national coach but what if he does... and proves you wrong?

theres nothing id love more than for him to be successful and im not for all this im not supporting england while hes in charge! i know some of our fans who said the same, im sure these people will change their tune as soon as he gets an unexpected result, which with the players we have in certain positions is bound to happen at some point! forget whos in charge just get behind the team because 95% of the players will have been picked regardless who the coach is

Well after a minor attempt at picking players on form and not reputation we are back to picking the donkeys the coach likes irregardless of form.

International RL should be the pinnacle of our sport, with the very best coach picking the very best English players.

I dont ever remember English RL being that and thats why I dont remember England beating the Aussies.

Pick players on form an in position. Its not hard.

Steve Mcnamara has named 10 of his 37 squad for the 4 nations. Obviously he can only pick from teams not involved in the play offs. And once again Paul Sykes has been picked. What has he ever done for England (or Bradford) ?

Why not put Sheriffe and Platt in for good measure!

I believe the squad will be trimmed but I bet Sykes doesnt get cut!

Sykes has suffered from being so badly exposed in the 2008 World Cup. What many seem to forget is that he was made to look bad by the dire display from the entire defensive line bunching up like school kids. Unfair to single him out. There are 27 others to be added, all of whom will probably be above Sykes in the pecking order.

Its hard to make a case for Sykes to be honest. He isnt a great player and isnt even playing at his peak which was probably in his harlequins days. I dont see any role for him in the squad in any position and hope he gets axed.

On McNamara Im im on the glass half empty side at the moment but will reserve judgement. I looked at him a couple of years ago and thought he looked like a bright up coming coach which still may be the case.

If I look at Bradfors this year I can take heart in a bizzare way. Whilst he didnt set the world alight he had them in the play-offs and pushing for top 4 at one point. To see what has happened since suggests he was actually doing a good job and maybe his failings were in his signings. Providing he picks the right squad this shouldnt be an issue for him with England.

That said hes just picked Sykes.....

who are the other ten incidentally?

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

There is an argument that a good national coach is not necesasrily the same thing as a good club coach, you are dealing with different qualities of players and you have your pick of whoever you want (even more so in league where you can switch someones nationality like it was a light bulb!) so if there is an injury you dont have to worry about the salary cap or transfers or who you have in the squad in the academy etc you jut pick somene better.. also it is about massaging egos and gelling the team together from different squads rather than sorting out your club etc.. getting shot of a trouble maker is easier than at club level.. etc etc etc..

its an argument that i think applies to league as it does to every other sport..

I find that interesting and will broatch the question to you: How with all the detail that you epitomise in that do you explain the anomaly that is Tony Smith. To a lesser degree Brian Noble also?

Both have done very well at club level with all the restrictions you quote yet at rep level, neither could claim to have been even partially successful, nor will I accept the whitewashing of a poor NZ touring side for Smith as pany sort of proof that he did do well.

I am not at all hopeful but then again MacNamara talks a good game, but so do they all........................ahem. :(

I'm willing to take that risk and back my own judgement. I will be a casual watcher of the international game if at all for the foreseeable future, rather than investing in it as I have in the past (i.e, attending games, purchasing merchandise, etc) until McNamara is no longer coach.

oderint dum metuant

I'd argue that Clubb, Broughton and Scruton at the very least are just nowhere near international standard and have no right to be anywhere near to the squad. Average SL players at best.

Of the 10 selected at the present time, I would only have selected Lynch and Shenton, the rest have had underpar seasons or are well down the pecking order for their position.

oderint dum metuant