Football

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

How dare you! ?

_20200219_065219.JPG

June, and already autumn leaves on the ground.

That's Swindon for you.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A good three way fight going on at the top of Bundesliga 2.

Arminia Bielefeld, VfB Stuttgart and Hamburg separated by 5 points with four games left after tonight (Hamburg leading at home to Holstein Kiel currently on BT Sport).

The top two go up automatically.  The third placed team usually goes into a two legged playoff with the team 3rd from bottom in Bundesliga.

On 04/06/2020 at 16:14, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I think so but I watch it on Sport TV (Portuguese channel) 

Sporting CP are "my" team

Are Sporting CP, the same as Sporting Lisbon? The team that lost to Celtic?

2 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Are Sporting CP, the same as Sporting Lisbon? The team that lost to Celtic?

Sporting Clube de Portugal is known by many as Sporting Lisbon. However, those many people are wrong. 

One Sporting fan tweets the same tweet everyday ?

If you're talking about the team who lost to Celtic in the '67 European Cup Final, well that was Internazionale. More commonly known, wrongly, as Inter Milan. However the final was played in Lisbon. 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

19 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Sporting Clube de Portugal is known by many as Sporting Lisbon. However, those many people are wrong. 

If you're talking about the team who lost to Celtic in the '67 European Cup Final, well that was Internazionale. More commonly known, wrongly, as Inter Milan. However the final was played in Lisbon. 

I’m not sure there’s anything wrong with the English colloquialisms of Sporting Lisbon and Inter Milan.

After all Manchester United were abbreviated to simply ‘Manchester’ for long periods in foreign countries.

I remember too spending time in Germany and found that in discussions of foreign teams they talked about AS Roma and Lazio-Roma.

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

You will probably know Sporting beat MTK Budapest, at Heysel in 1964 to win the European Cup winners cup.

In the semis MTK, lost 3-0 to Celtic in the first leg, yet won 4-0 in Budapest in the return. 

8 minutes ago, Niels said:

You will probably know Sporting beat MTK Budapest, at Heysel in 1964 to win the European Cup winners cup.

In the semis MTK, lost 3-0 to Celtic in the first leg, yet won 4-0 in Budapest in the return. 

I think Hungarian football even in the early 60’s still had the remnants of the great system that produced the 1950’s teams in an era when they dominated international football and really should have won a World Cup.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think Hungarian football even in the early 60’s still had the remnants of the great system that produced the 1950’s teams in an era when they dominated international football and really should have won a World Cup.

Yes I agree, especially 1954. 

I read an interesting article about MTK Budapest, They have strong Jewish foundations, but later on, the Communist party assigned them as the team of the secret police. 

I think too the academy has a connection with Liverpool? 

9 hours ago, Niels said:

Yes I agree, especially 1954. 

I read an interesting article about MTK Budapest, They have strong Jewish foundations, but later on, the Communist party assigned them as the team of the secret police. 

I think too the academy has a connection with Liverpool? 

I believe so, but had forgotten about that.  I think Liverpool briefly had a Hungarian goalkeeper on their books, but I’m not sure whether he moved on.

I’ve always been interested in Hungarian football as my Dad raves about Ferenc Puskas.

The football book, “Inverting the Football Pyramid” is especially interesting in the way in charts the rise of Central European football and gives much credit to a little known Englishman who was ignored by the FA over here.

Theres some very interesting parts on the Scottish pioneers too if you’re interested (of course you may have read it).  There’s a good chronology too of the evolution of football tactics in this book which I found fascinating.

2DD7DF10-547E-45B1-A9DC-0AD00701EED8.jpeg

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I believe so, but had forgotten about that.  I think Liverpool briefly had a Hungarian goalkeeper on their books, but I’m not sure whether he moved on.

I’ve always been interested in Hungarian football as my Dad raves about Ferenc Puskas.

The football book, “Inverting the Football Pyramid” is especially interesting in the way in charts the rise of Central European football and gives much credit to a little known Englishman who was ignored by the FA over here.

Theres some very interesting parts on the Scottish pioneers too if you’re interested (of course you may have read it).  There’s a good chronology too of the evolution of football tactics in this book which I found fascinating.

Thanks very much. It's great you are interested. I have sent you a couple of articles that you may like to read about MTK and Liverpool.

I haven't read the book so thank you. I will buy it on Kindle. Yes I like Scottish football also so I will read it. I bought 2 similar books, The Mixer and Zonal marking which I have yet to read.

https://www.planetfootball.com/trending/the-story-of-the-two-hungarian-strikers-who-went-to-liverpool-but-never-played/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beyondthelastman.com/2016/10/13/mtk-budapest-all-fake-nines-no-fans/amp/

• Thanks 1

For those interested in romantic underdog stories of Cup giantkillings there’s the possibility of a big one in Germany tonight on BT.

Saarbrucken, who play in a regional Liga below Bundesliga 3, have a semi final against top flight Bayer Leverkusen in the German Cup (DFB Pokal).

It will be Saarbrucken’s first game in 3 months and they’ve had an incredible run already, dumping out Bundesliga sides Fortuna Düsseldorf and Cologne in previous rounds.

• Like 1