Sign in to follow this  
Bleep1673

Football

22 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes but that wasn't the headline story on the BBC Sport website.

Why was the action of 3 people more important than the match itself ... especially as it was on a SPORT website ?

I'm sorry, but if you have to ask that question, the answer won't help you.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

I don't get what you mean.

Clearly. The big issue in football over the last year has been racism. We (as in the English media) have, rightly imo, made a huge fuss about Bulgarian racism and yet here we are, with racism being prominent in English and European football still. Think Sterling at Chelsea, United players at City, Balotelli in Italy, among others. Of course the actions of three assholes make the news. It is news. "Thirty thousand people don't commit a racist attack" just isn't news.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

39 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Clearly. The big issue in football over the last year has been racism. We (as in the English media) have, rightly imo, made a huge fuss about Bulgarian racism and yet here we are, with racism being prominent in English and European football still. Think Sterling at Chelsea, United players at City, Balotelli in Italy, among others. Of course the actions of three assholes make the news. It is news. "Thirty thousand people don't commit a racist attack" just isn't news.

Whether it be in Bulgaria, England or anywhere else, I personally don't think it can be described as "prominent" when just a very small number are guilty (or alleged to be guilty) of it. That isn't to say I am trying to dismiss the issue as something not to bother about; it's just I feel that the press - especially the sporting press - have gone a bit over the top with their reporting of every single incident as though they feel that reporting it is "the done thing to do" in the current climate and don't themselves want to be complained at for not doing so.

I also feel such overkill reporting might actually have an adverse effect on what they are trying to achieve and that rather than doing it to promote anti-racism they are annoying the vast, vast majority of people who couldn't care less whatever a person's race, gender or religion is (including myself) but are being bombarded with such stories as though it is the majority of the country that are racist, sexist or any other kind of "ist". Also, such constant publicity of these situations can also encourage other idiots to do the same, while on the other hand there are some within the "targeted" groups who make far more of the situation than it really is to try and claim they are being affected more than what they actually are.

You cannot stop individual nasty people from being dicks , all this rubbish about education is complete nonsense , if some Bell end decides he's ###### with an opposition player because his team is losing , and he decides he wants to insult that player who happens to be black , nothing will ever stop that person using racist terms 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You cannot stop individual nasty people from being dicks , all this rubbish about education is complete nonsense , if some Bell end decides he's ###### with an opposition player because his team is losing , and he decides he wants to insult that player who happens to be black , nothing will ever stop that person using racist terms 

People like that should be charged and banned. But education and announcements have their place particularly when young people are involved. 

I do wish we would just give the racists a break though. Why do we keep highlighting their abhorrent actions? 

Ignore them, they will go away without causing any harm. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do wish we would just give the racists a break though. Why do we keep highlighting their abhorrent actions? 

Ignore them, they will go away without causing any harm. 

I know many will disagree Dave , but this is my opinion as well , yes ban and charge them if possible , but also try to stop giving them ' fame ' 

Unfortunately as I put earlier , nasty people will do nasty things 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I know many will disagree Dave , but this is my opinion as well , yes ban and charge them if possible , but also try to stop giving them ' fame ' 

My view exactly .... Some people may think I am racist because I complain about too much publicity when such acts occur but I actually think as yourself; the publicity just fuels their desire to do it more often.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I thought it was clear from my opening line asking for racists to be given a break that my post wasn't serious. 

I understand the point about fame but I think there is a point to shaming the crowds into doing something and self-regulating. By creating an underworld of racism it can help it to grow, and if it isn't publicly shamed people don't necessarily know that action is being taken. 

In some of the recent incidents, stewards and fans surrounding have just stood and watched. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

In some of the recent incidents, stewards and fans surrounding have just stood and watched. 

That happens with incidents of any nature not just if hearing such language.. People see something and just walk on by.

Just to make my point about too much publicity about racism by the press. It was alleged last week that a Chelsea player had been abused in such a way (one player said he had heard monkey noises in the crowd ... a crowd of over 30,000 from where he said he could pick out such noises from all the rest that was being generated by the crowd).

The press gave this a headline, yet now that the police have had to spend their manpower investigating it, the result is that there is no evidence to support the claim.

Tottenham then issued this statement ...

"We fully support Antonio Rudiger with the action that he took - however there is no evidence to corroborate or contradict the allegation and as such neither ourselves nor the police are in a position to take any further action."

Yet Chelsea replied with this .. 

"On Monday evening, Chelsea issued a statement which began: "We support Toni Rudiger totally and unequivocally on this matter, and as Tottenham's statement makes clear, a lack of evidence does not mean an incident did not take place

NO ... Tottenham did NOT say there was a LACK of evidence, they said there was NO evidence !

Therefore, first of all there was headline about alleged racial abuse which did not occur and then Chelsea won't accept that it did not happen and issue a statement which their own fans will obviously take more note of rather than the one from Tottenham (and confirmed by the police). Therefore many will still take the view that something did happen whereas if it had not been in the press then nobody would have been any the wiser.

In another instance, a Port Vale player has been accused on anti-semitism (and yet again it's a headline on the BC Sport football website) because on answer to a question put to him he mentioned about the Rothschild family owning banks, as follows ... 

"On Sunday, when asked what would happen in the event of World War Three, the forward wrote: "We invade Iran then Cuba then North Korea then the Rothchilds are crowned champions of every bank on the planet - the end."

After some Twitter users accused him of anti-Semitism, Pope replied: "How is it racist??

Pope said he was "unaware of any link between the Rothschild family and the Jewish community".

Note that the report does say just how many on Twitter accused him of it ... was it 1, 100, 1 million ? I suspect closer to the lower figure that the higher one.

But this is the problem these days ... because the subject is in the news so often then some people now think they should be moaning at every little thing even though they probably never even considered it was wrong just a short while ago - and maybe still don't really think it is. Furthermore it then encourages some people of those so-called oppressed groups to use these reports to justify their anger at the wider community despite the fact that no formal investigation has yet been completed.

It isn't people getting upset about any real racist comments I am writing about, it is the vast publicity being given to such "alleged" acts when no official decision about them have been announced. 

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Edited

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 04/01/2020 at 17:02, Dave T said:

Stood and watched.

But when asked about it later: were looking the other way, guv.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Five-a-Side Football is so welcoming and inclusive... unless you play for the side quoted at length in this thread: 

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Five-a-Side Football is so welcoming and inclusive... unless you play for the side quoted at length in this thread: 

Once again in this "compensation claim" world we now live in, it's probably a matter of those in charge of the team "covering their own backsides" in case anybody else makes a complaint about something which they say they were never informed about.

23 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Once again in this "compensation claim" world we now live in, it's probably a matter of those in charge of the team "covering their own backsides" in case anybody else makes a complaint about something which they say they were never informed about.

That's a 32-week ban for you, sunshine! :kolobok_wink:

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

21 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Nah.

It's the worst sort of jumped up rule-bound numpties who also populate Sunday league cricket committees.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Nah.

It's the worst sort of jumped up rule-bound numpties who also populate Sunday league cricket committees.

Yet if they don't stick to the rules there is always someone wanting to claim they should have done ... so that's why do it. They can't win.

Crucial game for Villa at Bournemouth today, I hope we can follow on from the mid-week semi and get a good result on the south coast.

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

This season has seen my club really make an effort to reconnect with the Town. The social media guys are great and Swindon Town in the Community are so hard working. Starting this season with between 6500 and 7000 at home games, the attendance yesterday was over 13000. No special offers, just work with the community. 

And we won! 😀 

Ok, I'm sure it helped that we are top of the league and we were playing 2nd place. Hope some of them come back... 😀 

_20200202_131401.JPG

_20200202_131347.JPG

_20200202_144402.JPG

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
  • Like 1

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Don't watch much Premier League, but got Spurs v City on, this VAR is a farce, I really don't care who wins, but waiting 2 minutes for a penalty while play goes on is all abit silly!!