Martyn Sadler - Talking Rugby League

Maybe he should have published the results of the poll.  Fair do's at least now we know you feel he has his own agenda and his paper is merely an outlet for that, finally something we can agree on :-)............ Enjoy the World Cup

Maybe he should have published the results of the poll.  Fair do's at least now we know you feel he has his own agenda and his paper is merely an outlet for that, finally something we can agree on :-)............ Enjoy the World Cup

agenda? The guy put forward an opinion in an opinion piece, not much of an agenda. Sadler has all sorts of views on all sorts of topics. I agree with some and disagree with others.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be called EASTENDERS RL and move to Walford and make Ian Beale Chairman and Kat Slater at hooker

even Old Rover can do better than that.

Keeping it local

I'm teling you nothing of the sort., and yet again you show how little you know about me, which suits me fine. Of course the sport needs more marketing. It also needs to keep its elite players in the country, or even more problematic in the game-a no brainer.

I'm not sure who these people are who know it all or think they do. It's all about people giving their views and backing them up with information to a lesser or greater extent-I prefer the latter and attempt to do that whenever I put forward my own views.

I'm not sure who this 'all for change brigade is' I haven't come across such people on here at all never mind in Brigade strength. Is it purely coincidental that the changes proposed just so happen to favour your club? If so, then that's very unfair.

I don't care that much, I just want a game to watch on the box of a weekend, although I do strongly prefer that the teams I watch represent the expansion of the game. Having three clubs of varying strengths-but none of them that strong within walking distance of each other is a less attractive proposition than having an elite comp with say Toulouse in it. It seems ok for people to want the sport's policy to be designed around their own personal wants: so that's me doing the same, but if I do care anything about Rugby League any more it's about the game as a whole and its growth. 

As it happens Gandolph, I favoured sticking with what we had as in my view we had have ticked all the boxes, to be granted a license, but that would be a selfish view.  And as I said my initial reaction to option 3 I stated as much in a Fev forum.  But when I looked at it with a balance i felt that there is nothing to lose, clubs will always go bust they have under licensing.................. This system to me seems to offer new horizons and has no more failings than the current system. 

And yes I honestly believe that we should not be held to ransom as a game by the money on offer else where, its is a false economy, its like trying to live in Mayfair on job seekers...................... The Aussie game in a different economic league.  We would not lose all our talent and the spaces left would be filled by hungry guys who will benefit from the more competitive environment.  Look at the Wigan Halfs this year, they have shown players can step up throughout the RL pyramid and given the right environment and apspirations can achieve plenty.

Notice how I give an example of where I may have been wrong over hasty...................................... Well the thing is I can never recall you "in debate" ever saying you know what you might have a point there or I was wrong!  With anyone or any subject for that matter. 

Edited by petesmithfan

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

Well the thing is I can never recall you "in debate" ever saying you know what you might have a point there or I was wrong!  With anyone or any subject for that matter. 

please tell me you have not read every post I've ever made, which is what you would have to do to support that statement, which is completely erroneous at best.

Keeping it local

please tell me you have not read every post I've ever made, which is what you would have to do to support that statement, which is completely erroneous at best.

he only has to read half a dozen. all the rest is repetition. parochial, self serving, immoral, vichy government blah blah blah.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

he only has to read half a dozen. all the rest is repetition. parochial, self serving, immoral, vichy government blah blah blah.

if the cap fits, along with small minded, abusive, hypocritical,  blah blah blah

vichy government? Well it is an important aspect of Rugby history 

Keeping it local

And maybe no avenue to the top is partly responsible for such a state of affairs.

But you miss the point. The point I was making is that 50 or more years ago these clubs were the top dogs but things changed.  A cast in stone, unchanging SL will have teams in it that are on their way down to the levels of the Swinton's and Workington's but ring fencing  will keep them slowly fading in the top tier and prevent any newly vibrant clubs from replacing them. Why on earth should the Broncos be kept in  SL at the expense of Fax or Fev or Toulouse ?

Look at Huddersfield pre Davy, rotting stadium, crowds in the hundreds and in what is now CC1. If Davy was just taking charge of a Huddersfield in that state now, we would never see them in SL and maybe looking at a double and providing England with numerous international players,

Look at Hull KR, same thing. Crowds in the low 1000's, decrepit stadium. In CC1. Now they are in SL, crowds in the 7,000 range, totally revamped stadium. yes they are losing money like most of the rest of SL but look how far they have progressed. If the SL was ring fenced they would not have been there.

These new proposals will give lower level teams who are making serious progress a chance of making the top tier and replacing failing clubs who are already there. This, in my opinion, is a good thing.

The creation of a larger number of stable teams and an avenue for them to progress and replace stagnant, moribund teams from the top division is a good thing. 

Don't give me the "Promotion has never worked guff either ". For Huddersfield, Wakefield, Hull KR, Salford and  Castleford, it has worked just fine. Even Wigan maybe.

No you miss the point, some clubs have a maximum size to which they can grow, they are penned in by geography and demographics.

No matter how successful some clubs are there is a limit to what they can do. Unless of course you change the demographic of the area they are working in.

In the 21st century (the one us realists live in) you are not going to get village pit teams pulling in crowds of 25,000, some fantasists may believe that any current club with a bit of sky cash and a few wins can be all conquering and take on the world, I've got a bit of breaking news for you, they can't and they won't.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

And here we go again....and again.... and again.

As long as there are people in RL land who have fairies at the end of the garden I'll be popping up to point out they don't actually exist. ;)

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

As long as there are people in RL land who have fairies at the end of the garden I'll be popping up to point out they don't actually exist. ;)

you do realise one dies everytime you say that

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

you do realise one dies everytime you say that

Fairy or RL fan.  :O  

Apologies -to clarify,  I wasn't referring to your post! It was the carry on before that.

Apologies -to clarify,  I wasn't referring to your post! It was the carry on before that.

Thanks for the clarification.

However I have more pressing things on my mind at the moment, am I killing fairies or RL fans.

Rubbish

apart from enjoying the world cup

Yes

No you miss the point, some clubs have a maximum size to which they can grow, they are penned in by geography and demographics.

No matter how successful some clubs are there is a limit to what they can do. Unless of course you change the demographic of the area they are working in.

In the 21st century (the one us realists live in) you are not going to get village pit teams pulling in crowds of 25,000, some fantasists may believe that any current club with a bit of sky cash and a few wins can be all conquering and take on the world, I've got a bit of breaking news for you, they can't and they won't.

Just so you know there are no teams curremtly averaging above 15,000 pit tea, big city team or red wine conoiseurs.

However, on a one off basis each can fill stadium for a cup final .

Fairy or RL fan.  :O  

aren't they one and the same in wigan

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

Just so you know there are no teams curremtly averaging above 15,000 pit tea, big city team or red wine conoiseurs.

However, on a one off basis each can fill stadium for a cup final .

Thanks for backing up my point.

You live in the 21st century do you? So where in RL land are the village pit teams? Can you name them please because I dont know of any? Being the 'realist' you claim you are please explain to me which of the current RL big city teams are potentially likely to be pulling in crowds of 25k any time soon.

It's a good job P & R existed back in the eighties or your mighty Wigan may not have been where they are now because I remember full well the evening when a famous pit village club put the final nail in the mighty Wigan's coffin and relegated them. Yes those days are in the past but only because of greed and self interest of the clubs which found themselves in the right place at the right time

Who are you to say that Featherstone Rovers, Halifax etc can't return to the big time? As knowledgeable as you profess to be you don't actually know anything about their respective operations and prospective financial backing. None of us do, but wouldn't it be nice to find out? These clubs aren't run by fools you know, let's see by giving them their opportunity.

Edited by Terry Mullaney

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

about as infantile as you pointing it out really!

Pointing out that you're breaking the rules and regulations of the site that have been made to ensure fair and honest debate isn't infantile. Breaking them is, regardless of whether you know what they are or not. They are there to prevent infantile behaviour.

You intellectuals really are not comfortable with the creative realms of modern communications are you......................... I was merely using your post to make my point.................but if its against the rules (im one of those seat of me pants kinda guy who hasnt read them ) I am very sorry, if it has caused you undue distress. Your clearly not used to being challenged other than buy your nature!

You was using his post in a dishonest way. I wouldn't call it creative at all, I'd call it a poor attempt to make a decent argument.

You can harp on like a reverse snob all you like about "intellectuals" if it makes you feel better. In reality you're not actually getting an honest point of view across. Just a childish mentality.

If you think the terms and conditions of the site are too challenging or don't allow you to be "creative" in your communications, use a different site. It's that simple.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg