Your starting 17?

Keep The Faith

Hope your happy with your team selections lads, where did you think we were lacking against wales id be interested to know,ball retention was one thing,mainly through the forwards,but in my opinion number one was at halfback unless you were blind you'd have seen there number 7 completely dominated our pair dummies ,sidesteps kicks he had the lot his arrogance at times was outrages no one sat him on his backside once if way show the same application against Workington were in for a torrid afternoon hope I'm wrong but a different attitudes needed

You are right about the attitude and application against Workington Reg, but I think labelling our halves as dummies is a little harsh.

Neither had their best games, but Southernwood is well rated at this level and Leatherbarrow has shown up well previously in the other pre-season games. His challenge is to find a level of consistency now.

Other areas we need to work on are ball retention, discipline, goal line defence and defending kicks. But Im sure JK will be onto that.

Disappointing result and most definitely a reality check, but still plenty of positives from pre-season. Let's see how we get on when it really matters though now a week on Sunday. Whatever the result Im confident that we'll see a much better performance than we did against NWC.

Read it again nick dummies is what their scrum half was throwing and we were taking, but I stand with what I said he dominated our halfs and its OK doing it against amatures like we did last week but I'm sure there's better halfs to see in the championship

Read it again nick dummies is what their scrum half was throwing and we were taking, but I stand with what I said he dominated our halfs and its OK doing it against amatures like we did last week but I'm sure there's better halfs to see in the championship

So what would you suggest? A change of half backs? Who?

Fair enough Reg.

And you are quite right. There are far better halves in the division than ours on paper, but at the same time said players (Ridyard, Gaskell, Brierley, Murrell, Cooke, Thackeray as examples) are completely out of our price range.

Hopefully our two will come good and form a decent partnership though. What we can't do is write them off after a poor game in a pre-season. If we did that then we would have to do the same with the majority of the squad that turned out on Sunday as there were some dreadful performances on show.

Would agree about their 7. He was excellent. He has however been around that level for a few years so I would suspect doesn't play to that level consistently otherwise I think he would have been snapped up by a higher division club. Perhaps one for JK to watch as the season progresses though.

it reads the same Reg, you need to use commas in your writing.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

Paddy did ok in the first 3 friendlies contribution and fitness wise. Hes never gonna be a 60 minute prop and has far more go forward than byron

Only opinion but I'd have Byron before Hesketh every time,I reckon Smith could play more minutes if he had to,Hesketh was blowing out of his backside he'd only played 5minutes. Can't understand why your all beating yourselves up for,it was only a friendly I know it might seem a backward step after the Featherstone result but your better getting that result out of your system's now before the season starts proper a week on Sunday. As Kear said in league express some players have played themselves out of the team for the workington game,so his selection will be interesting,good luck for the season

So what would you suggest? A change of half backs? Who?

I say it as I see it played and coached the game for 30 yrs but it doesn't need that to see when someone's taking hold of the game as he was ways should be found to test let's say his resolve,wanted someone on his case, the rest of the team responded to his lead and I'm afraid if we can't plug holes were gonna be in trouble let's judge us after a few games and see if we've learned anything

I say it as I see it played and coached the game for 30 yrs but it doesn't need that to see when someone's taking hold of the game as he was ways should be found to test let's say his resolve,wanted someone on his case, the rest of the team responded to his lead and I'm afraid if we can't plug holes were gonna be in trouble let's judge us after a few games and see if we've learned anything

I have not disagreed with you, nor questioned your credentials. I did ask you what we should do then?

The said scrum half played against us last season home and away when we recorded wins in both matches his name is Dallymore good player I agree but not a world beater. I am confident Sunday was a blip and JK will sort it for the Workington game.

I have not disagreed with you, nor questioned your credentials. I did ask you what we should do then?

think I said what we should have done and what we should do for want of a better phrase knocked him about a bit ,too big and slow to be a world beater at half back,but we made him look like one

Think this is what I referred to in the other thread - lack of leadership on the field.  I think we are desperately in need of someone who is going to get a grip of what is happening on the field and getting it sorted.  If the opposition scrum half is having a field day, then orders should be issued to deal with him.  I don't think anybody is taking that initiative at present.  Maybe they have become so used to have instructions given to them via those people who keep running onto the pitch that they are unable to think for themselves.

Archived