The Right to Die debate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34208624

With the right to die debate going on in parliament today. If you were an MP which way would you vote ?

Personally i'm in favour of a change in the law to allow people to take their own lives rather than face an agonising & painful death from a terminal disease.

People are already doing it by going to Switzerland but this is only open if you have the financial means.

As long as the patient is of sound mind, can administer the drugs themselves and get the approval of the coutrs and a medical professional, why shouldn't they have the right to end their life, surely its their decision to make ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34208624

With the right to die debate going on in parliament today. If you were an MP which way would you vote ?

Personally i'm in favour of a change in the law to allow people to take their own lives rather than face an agonising & painful death from a terminal disease.

People are already doing it by going to Switzerland but this is only open if you have the financial means.

As long as the patient is of sound mind, can administer the drugs themselves and get the approval of the coutrs and a medical professional, why shouldn't they have the right to end their life, surely its their decision to make ?

There will be people who cannot administer the drugs themselves - quite possibly for reasons linked to why they want to die.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Very dissapointing. As it says in the report it appears many MP's are out of step with public opinion on this

They may not have been against the principle of assisted dying but the way in which the bill was drafted. Some of the comments in the BBC link seem to suggest that. Without reading the bill in its entirety it's hard to say whether they are right. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I watched the first hour of the debate and it was quite illuminating. Kier Starmer in particular made a  huge contribution. Should be on iplayer soon http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06bnjfx

I'm against it, by the way, though I also believe there is no right answer.

In terms of  "many MP's are out of step with public opinion on this", that is not why there are there. If it were, we would have significantly lower immigration, and may still have the death penalty and might even leave the EU.

Archived