Warrington & Rochdale

You couldn't make this stuff up:

"...all the Wolves’ first-team squad will be dual-registered with the Hornets, whose players will be made available for the Wolves’ new reserve team."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/29/warrington-rochdale-player-swap-partnership

Anyone that thought having a reserve team comp would make dual reg less of a farce, think again !

While we're talking about Rochdale Hornets, they've got a new training area at Mossway, Middleton that they're trying to develop that will benefit Rugby League and its growth. So if anyone feels like making a small donation. You can. Here is the info and link that explains what they are doing at Mossway.

http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/Page/Content/2389

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Surprised by this move by Warrington. Saints ended their link up with Rochdale at the end of the season because they felt their players would benefit more from being full time in their new reserves league than they were getting on dual Reg with Rochdale.

And that came from Rochdale's former head coach Ian Talbot who quit to take over as Reserves team coach at Saints. 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Surprised by this move by Warrington. Saints ended their link up with Rochdale at the end of the season because they felt their players would benefit more from being full time in their new reserves league than they were getting on dual Reg with Rochdale.

And that came from Rochdale's former head coach Ian Talbot who quit to take over as Reserves team coach at Saints. 

"all the Wolves’ first-team squad will be dual-registered with the Hornets, whose players will be made available for the Wolves’ new reserve team".

So how does this work? Do you know how many reserve games Saints and Wire will play?? 

In the end do Wire simply keep more of their own young players and play them a full season in either a Rochdale shirt or a Warrington shirt? How far may this become Championship sides playing Warrington reserves??

The clue seems to be Rochdale training at Chester which in effect is almost the playing squads merging?

If Saints do not do this then don't your fringe players get few reserve games??? Then have to kick their heels??

Leigh pulled out of the reserves thing and so did Halifax? So which clubs are left do you know.

Sorry for all the questions but your really good at answers!!

While we're talking about Rochdale Hornets, they've got a new training area at Mossway, Middleton that they're trying to develop that will benefit Rugby League and its growth. So if anyone feels like making a small donation. You can. Here is the info and link that explains what they are doing at Mossway.

http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/Page/Content/2389

This is why moving training to Warrington doesn't make sense.

Hopefully it's only short term for them and they can regain their independence ASAP.

Talbot was always on saints wage bill anyway

No he wasn't. He quit his role with Saints and signed a contact with Rochdale as their head coach. Saints no doubt played a part in his original appointment but he was then independant of Saints. That 3 year contract expires this month and with Saints offering him a new role with them as reserves team coach for 2016 he left Rochdale (dont know whether they didn't offer him a new contract or whether he refused to sign a new one ?).

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Sedgley Park.

Which is a damn sight better than Warrington where the team trained when we were DR. It's not so bad for Rochdale because they have a favourable lease in their home town but for us with a team full of Wire players, training in Wire and playing 'home' games in Leigh it felt like we'd lost the club completely. For some fans who had stuck with the club for years and years of nomadic existence it was the final straw and they stopped going. Since we ditched DR and returned to SP (as close to a 'home' as we've had since losing Station Road) with our own players and ideas those fans have returned.

Like I say, I hope it works out for Rochdale but if they have a training ground of their own why would they want to train 30 miles away?

DR served its purpose for us in that it allowed us to field a team when the club was in dire straights. But it's not good long term. I hope behind the scenes Rochdale aren't so hard up.

Sedgley Park.

Which is a damn sight better than

Warrington where the team trained when we were DR. It's not so bad for Rochdale because they have a favourable lease in their home town but for us with a team full of Wire

players, training in Wire and playing 'home' games in Leigh it felt like we'd lost the club completely. For some fans who had

stuck with the club for years and years of nomadic existence it was the final straw and they stopped going. Since we ditched DR and returned to SP (as close to a 'home' as we've had since losing Station

Road) with our own players and ideas those fans have returned.

Like I say, I hope it works out for Rochdale but if they have a training ground of their own why would they want to train 30 miles away?

DR served its purpose for us in that it allowed us to field a team when the club was in dire straights. But it's not good long term. I hope behind the scenes Rochdale aren't so hard up.

Spot on. They should put everything into developing this Middleton training site. That's their future. Not Chester.

Swinton are doing it the proper way. It's always better to be an independent club, than a satellite club.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Sedgley Park.

Which is a damn sight better than

Warrington where the team trained when we were DR. It's not so bad for Rochdale because they have a favourable lease in their home town but for us with a team full of Wire

players, training in Wire and playing 'home' games in Leigh it felt like we'd lost the club completely. For some fans who had

stuck with the club for years and years of nomadic existence it was the final straw and they stopped going. Since we ditched DR and returned to SP (as close to a 'home' as we've had since losing Station

Road) with our own players and ideas those fans have returned.

Spot on. They should put everything into developing this Middleton training site. That's their future. Not Chester.

Swinton are doing it the proper way. It's always better to be an independent club, than a satellite club.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

Without this descending into a slanging match what you are saying is a team who don't play in their named town, don't train in their named town who as far as I can tell don't have any players from their named town are somehow deemed to be "doing it right"?

Hornets will only training in part at Warrington with training also in Rochdale, they will be playing in Rochdale and have increased the number of local players offered contracts.

They have taken on a new facility in the town and are working hard to get it up to scratch but as it has no floodlights it is of no use as a training venue during the winter months. They have launched a charitable foundation whose motto is "to get More People Playing More Rugby League More Often".

Without this descending into a slanging match what you are saying is a team who don't play in their named town, don't train in their named town who as far as I can tell don't have any players from their named town are somehow deemed to be "doing it right"?

Hornets will only training in part at Warrington with training also in Rochdale, they will be playing in Rochdale and have increased the number of local players offered contracts.

They have taken on a new facility in the town and are working hard to get it up to scratch but as it has no floodlights it is of no use as a training venue during the winter months. They have launched a charitable foundation whose motto is "to get More People Playing More Rugby League More Often".

I said put all their efforts into developing the Middleton training site. Thats why I put a link to it on this thread and donated a tenner. Why you feel it necessary to have a chip at Swinton when no slur was aimed at Rochdale is beyond me.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

I said put all their efforts into developing the Middleton training site. Thats why I put a link to it on this thread and donated a tenner. Why you feel it necessary to have a chip at Swinton when no slur was aimed at Rochdale is beyond me.

"Swinton are doing it the proper way."

Your words not mine.

"Swinton are doing it the proper way."

Your words not mine.

I believe that being an independent club is the proper way. But you're just looking for an argument. I'm neither a Swinton fan or Rochdale fan. But if you're an example of a Rochdale supporter. I think ill give them a swerve in the future. Already regretting parting with my hard earned tenner. But you live and learn.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

If only Warrington had signed up for the Reserves competition.

They have haven't they?

The press release says that Rochdale players will be able to play in that Warington Reserve team.

This is why it would be intensely interesting to know how it will work.

If Wolves run on say 35 players, with academy back up, and Rochdale on 25 say then when the weekend has 

1. Wires SL match

2. Wires reserve match

3. Rochdale championship match

The "partnership" (used very very loosely) will train in Chester and Smith & Agar can let the players know whose playing where.

I find this fascinating as Leeds have won everything and Wires have been useless, and Leeds are tipped to dominate despite the loss of top stars. 

Leeds refused to play a reserve team claiming their dual reg set up (that went beyond the norm and included farming out players on one year contracts to Featherstone) was a success.

If Moran and Smith agree then their reserves plus DR set up is a step up from the Leeds set up that strangles Hunslet as an Independent club.

This looks far worse for Rochdale - well at least for their "independent" minded supporters.

How many are they?

How many DR players can be used at one time?

Isnt it just a way of maximising your rotation options.

Ie. In the wing positions we have Lineham and Penny, plus Evans and Ormsby in the squad. Your reserve squad may have another couple. This could be a way of keeping those wings match fit.

I was a bit surprised when I first learned that Rochdale Hornets entered a DR partnership with Warrington Wolves - because during the previous season North Wales Crusaders were in DR partnership with Wire and no change was proposed.

I wonder whether the Crusaders Board of Directors valued independence above partnership in the end.... after all we did win Championship One when we had no DR partnership.

Archived