Away fans deal for an overnight in Whitehaven..just seen this on twitter

yanto

Its just round the corner from the Rec...maybe a better deal when the Jambos get relegated and folk have to travel from Hemel,South Wales.Coventry,Oxford and Gloucester  :tongue:

Na serious not a bad option for people wanting an overnight stop in West Cumbria.

Christ thats a heartless advert to place for away fans. Making them go to Whitehaven in the first place is bad enough, then trying to convince them to stay a night is just terrible....the horror......

Joking aside its actually a really nice little hotel.

The chase is 5 minutes if that walk from the rec and town centre and 2 mins from the marchon club where a lot of fans have a pre match shandy.

Reminds me of when I was talking to Gareth Hewer in there where he'd taken the match officials after a Whitehaven game, they thought he'd said the Martian club and wondered what they'd let themselves in for.

Good move, I've often wondered why Whitehaven and Workington haven't teamed up with local hotels and possibly restaurants more to offer some sort of deal, and if the have why it hasn't been better advetised 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Reminds me of when I was talking to Gareth Hewer in there where he'd taken the match officials after a Whitehaven game, they thought he'd said the Martian club and wondered what they'd let themselves in for.

Good move, I've often wondered why Whitehaven and Workington haven't teamed up with local hotels and possibly restaurants more to offer some sort of deal, and if the have why it hasn't been better advetised

I know the Waverley in Workington has links with town, players staying, officials etc.

I know the Waverley in Workington has links with town, players staying, officials etc.

Wasn't aware of that, I wonder if they have something open to visiting supporters. I seem to remember a while back Town making a thing about how close places like Keswick are to Workington and suggesting supporters could make it a weekend in the area but I don't know if anything ever came of it

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Its just round the corner from the Rec...maybe a better deal when the Jambos get relegated and folk have to travel from Hemel,South Wales.Coventry,Oxford and Gloucester  :tongue:

Na serious not a bad option for people wanting an overnight stop in West Cumbria.

think your getting whitehaven mixed up with workington yanto thats where jambos come from. :onthequiet: as for relegation i dont think so. 

And that's what Yanto said in post #2.

If I'm reading it right yanto refers to the "jambos" as being from Whitehaven in post #2 when he days it will be a better deal for travelling fans from the south when the "jambos"(Whitehaven) get relegated.

If I'm reading it right yanto refers to the "jambos" as being from Whitehaven in post #2 when he days it will be a better deal for travelling fans from the south when the "jambos"(Whitehaven) get relegated.

Apologies to marc then. I was basing my post on the fact that Yanto is a Cumbrian and I would like to think he knows the geography of the area. Obviously he doesn't   ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

Truth be told "jam eaters" are from west Cumbria both whitehaven&workington. Something about coal miners being too poor to put meat in their sandwiches so instead they put jam inside their sandwiches.

Truth be told "jam eaters" are from west Cumbria both whitehaven&workington. Something about coal miners being too poor to put meat in their sandwiches so instead they put jam inside their sandwiches.

WRONG

Some years ago I had an appointment to meet a client at High Rd Kell's, travelling from Workington I arrived far too early, so I decided to have drink in the nearby pub "The Stump" in order to put in time.

In the corner of the room sat 3 old codgers around a table having a drink talking and laughing, they continued with their craic until I overheard, aye Don was a character all reet a grand lad and a good wucker in watter, he wuz frae highside aye a Jam Eater.

On hearing this, my ears pricked up and I went over and enquired why Don was a "Jam Eater"?

I was told that on the decline of the Coal Mines in the Workington area miners from Risehow and Solway PIts were transferred through to the Whitehaven mines Haig, William and Lowca mines.

All those transferred to the Whitehaven mines were made welcome as colleagues and a lot of  long and lasting friendships were forged between  the workers.

On settling into their workplace the new arrivals were soon inducted into the practices and traditions that existed in the Whitehaven mines.

One of the traditions that was "Blind Swap" this took place every Wednesday, most of the miners that were working in groups exchanged         snap tins (lunch boxes).

On opening the lunch boxes belonging to the Workington miners a number of the boxes contained "JAM SANDWICHES" with the Whitehaven miners retorting bloody jam, and calling their Workington colleagues "JAM EATERS" there was no nastiness they all thought it very funny and laughed and joked about it and the  name sticks to this day.

WRONG

Some years ago I had an appointment to meet a client at High Rd Kell's, travelling from Workington I arrived far too early, so I decided to have drink in the nearby pub "The Stump" in order to put in time.

In the corner of the room sat 3 old codgers around a table having a drink talking and laughing, they continued with their craic until I overheard, aye Don was a character all reet a grand lad and a good wucker in watter, he wuz frae highside aye a Jam Eater.

On hearing this, my ears pricked up and I went over and enquired why Don was a "Jam Eater"?

I was told that on the decline of the Coal Mines in the Workington area miners from Risehow and Solway PIts were transferred through to the Whitehaven mines Haig, William and Lowca mines.

All those transferred to the Whitehaven mines were made welcome as colleagues and a lot of  long and lasting friendships were forged between  the workers.

On settling into their workplace the new arrivals were soon inducted into the practices and traditions that existed in the Whitehaven mines.

One of the traditions that was "Blind Swap" this took place every Wednesday, most of the miners that were working in groups exchanged         snap tins (lunch boxes).

On opening the lunch boxes belonging to the Workington miners a number of the boxes contained "JAM SANDWICHES" with the Whitehaven miners retorting bloody jam, and calling their Workington colleagues "JAM EATERS" there was no nastiness they all thought it very funny and laughed and joked about it and the  name sticks to this day.

Fair play to you as I've never heard that description before and I'm a Whitehaven lad born ironically just up the road from the "stump" pub.

Archived