England starting 13 v NZ

Am a bit confused about the criteria for now, but I would be pleased to see this team start the 4Ns (and am deferring to NRLers on Hodgson):

Tonkins - McGilvray - Watkins - Percival - Manfredi - Widdop - Williams - Taylor - Hodgson - Hill - S Burgess - Bateman - O'Loughlin

T Burgess - Currie - Graham - Clark

That'll win the comp, easy peasy.

Not sure about your halves I think it's Widdop or Williams for me( I'd go for Williams) to play along side a Gale,Sneyd or Smith.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sneyd has an absolutely outstanding kicking game which is something you definitely need in international rugby.  I would go with Sneyd plus a stand off with a good running game - Widdop if on form or Williams.  Add a hooker who can kick well from dummy half (Hodgson) a loose forward with a decent passing game (O'Loughlin) and a full back who can link with the backs (Tomkins/Lomax?) and all of sudden you have a very dangerous looking attacking team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Which is your prerogative. You could ptentially put both Grixes ahead of him (or is it Grices). By autumn there'll be no debate.

He's class and gives the side a great balance.

EW, this is a discussion re England nothing personnel against Tomkin's or Wigan, those of us who watch all that is available through the medium of television have witnessed the "new" Tomkin's in comparison to the version that left for the NZ Warriors, he is neither the same model or is as effective as the old model, if he was I am sure that he would have the overwhelming vote of everyone on this forum.

Hopefully he will revitalise himself to be the player he was, but what we are witnessing he is not, I have always been of the opinion that an international shirt should be awarded to those that have earned it in the lead up to the games, not given on reputation or a good job done in the past if they are not in form at the present, sadly for me Tomkin's fits that description, but there is still time for him with plenty of games left.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

EW, this is a discussion re England nothing personnel against Tomkin's or Wigan, those of us who watch all that is available through the medium of television have witnessed the "new" Tomkin's in comparison to the version that left for the NZ Warriors, he is neither the same model or is as effective as the old model, if he was I am sure that he would have the overwhelming vote of everyone on this forum.

Hopefully he will revitalise himself to be the player he was, but what we are witnessing he is not, I have always been of the opinion that an international shirt should be awarded to those that have earned it in the lead up to the games, not given on reputation or a good job done in the past if they are not in form at the present, sadly for me Tomkin's fits that description, but there is still time for him with plenty of games left.

Well said

Time will tell. Drive and vision will take a player a long way. I have seen no full back getting even close to "new" Tomkins In terms of range of passing and organisational talent. I have not watched any NRL but that would only rule out Hardaker. As wie will have 2 dangerous wingers the full back won't need to break the line: Tomkins only needs to reach the same level as his Cas performance regularly to be inked in for mine.

I would support 17 Saints players in England shirts. I have spent thousands of pounds watching our boys around the world, and brought hundreds of people to internationals - there is nothing that matters to me more than the international game.

Archived