SL Play Off Semi Final dates...

Lots of miserable Lancastrians getting a free ride home for the weekend?

How early do the coaches leave Hull to beat the M62 logjam? Funny how Hull folk are determined to support their team away on a Friday night even with work considerations and TV coverage as an excuse for " boycotting". Even a cup semi final with a journey 40 miles shorter couldn't tempt a Pie Eater to show that level of commitment.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How early do the coaches leave Hull to beat the M62 logjam? Funny how Hull folk are determined to support their team away on a Friday night even with work considerations and TV coverage as an excuse for " boycotting". Even a cup semi final with a journey 40 miles shorter couldn't tempt a Pie Eater to show that level of commitment.

presumably the eleven coaches will be full of wires fans returning after a full week of celebrations.

Oh dear,you really are an angry man,I suppose being a KR supporter,it's understandable really,good luck in "your" grand final on Saturday.

And yet when you count who actually turns up to home and away games, with real numbers, there are more Wiganers than either Hull club.

Every year. One of those AMAZING BUT TRUE stats!

And yet when you count who actually turns up to home and away games, with real numbers, there are more Wiganers than either Hull club.

Every year. One of those AMAZING BUT TRUE stats!

i'll be very impressed if you have the 'real numbers' of away fans of any club who 'actually' turn up. Even more so if you've counted them.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

i'll be very impressed if you have the 'real numbers' of away fans of any club who 'actually' turn up. Even more so if you've counted them.

Why would you be impressed by anyone who could count the travelling Wigan fans to Doncaster for that semi final?

It really wouldn't have been that difficult.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I used that maths thing which they have these days and looked at crowds at our games.

Of course if you want to run with "no Wiganers at all went to Doncaster they're all rubbish and we're great..." Line feel free. Steve is forming a society - you get your own back patter, medal and trick enlarging fairground mirror so you can see how good you really are. :)

I used that maths thing which they have these days and looked at crowds at our games.

Joking aside, the only thing you can say for certain using figures available is that Wigan's home game crowds are better on average than both Hull clubs. In fact, better than all clubs apart from Leeds.

No club can give accurate numbers for away fans or home fans even if they have a stand specifically for away fans. I much prefer to watch a game from the side rather than the end of a stadium so will often buy tickets to sit there. Also, who's to say how many neutrals will attend games?

Your club's fans may well travel in good numbers to most away games because most away games for Wigan are within an hour's journey time, some a deal less than that.

Using that maths thing...

After the Hull derby, Hull and Hull KR's nearest games are Castleford at 48 miles, Wakey at 56 and Leeds at 60.

After the Saints' derby, Wigan's nearest games are Wire at 13 miles, Salford at 21 and Widnes at 23.

Even if Wigan fans travel into deepest, darkest Yarkshire to watch their faves play at Huddersfield, it's only 41 miles for them. A Yarkshire "derby" with Huddersfield for one of the Hull clubs means a 75 mile journey.

Anyway, it's back on topic after that and I'll be at the DW stadium tomorrow night, but I'll be in the North Stand with most, but probably not all, the Hull fans who will be travelling across.  B)  :bye:

I have no issue with how wonderful FC fans are, but their constant on and on and on about a single game illustrating their superiority over Wigan fans on a daily basis months after the event shows a level of ill informed pettiness that seems somehow at odds with their Best Fans in the World badges.

Our game needs as many big clubs and fans as it can get - it is possible for both Wigan and FC fans to be good fans.

Finally, on maths, it is simple enough to take, say, the last 10 years and see who has supported our game in greater numbers at home and who has been watched by more people away from home, which makes the constant snide comments demonstrably untrue.

If the point is that on ONE occasion you think that Wigan should have had more fans then that seems a somewhat narrow and petty point in the wider scheme of things. I can see how people could take against the club's style of play, some of the team's players and the coach, but our fans are a credit to the town and the club and demonstrably so.

A bit of clarification here.

People commenting on Wigan fans' low turnout at the Keepmoat was not an illustration of Hull fans' superiority, how could it be?, we didn't have as far to travel. It was more a comment on how disappointed people were at the number Wigan fans who chose not to support a major RL SF that their team was involved in.

And secondly, Ullman's point is absolutely correct, unless you ask everyone at a particular ground who they support and assume they're telling the truth, you cannot count the number of away fans at a stadium. You can have a rough guess judging on the size of the crowd where most of them appear to be standing/sitting but that's all it will be, a rough guess.

And you cannot judge on the overall crowd size as if it's a big name club in town, like Wigan, there's sure to be a few neutrals wandering along hoping to see them get a reet good shafting a decent game of RL.

And secondly, Ullman's point is absolutely correct, unless you ask everyone at a particular ground who they support and assume they're telling the truth, you cannot count the number of away fans at a stadium. You can have a rough guess judging on the size of the crowd where most of them appear to be standing/sitting but that's all it will be, a rough guess.

That was my point exactly. EW's amazing but true facts turned out to be rather unconvincing made up stuff.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Sorry to labour the point but my amazing but true fact was based on the only data available.

It is clearly an easier argument to run than Wigan attract more neutrals so bigger crowds reflect non Wigan fans. You can assert that of course and believe it but to assert I need to "prove" a reasonable conclusion from actual data and posit an unproven counter proposition with no similar "proof" beggars belief.

I am not sure how more simply to present the case. It is such a simple proposition - we attract bigger crowds year after year home and away thus we have more numerous fans.

I'm not interested in peeing competitions about who has the most fans, the fans with the best tattoos, the most impressive facial hair or anything else for that matter..

I just don't think you can present an unsubstantiated opinion as a "fact" and not expect to be challenged.

Archived