SL Play Off Semi Final dates...

add them to the list, from under a whole range of systems.

No other system raised the salary cap in the Championship from 700k to £1.9m without providing any infrastructure to support it. The original system was not designed for clubs to bankrupt themselves trying to compete - it was to ask them to play nicely and lose at the business end of the season (and know their place).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No other system raised the salary cap in the Championship from 700k to £1.9m without providing any infrastructure to support it.

for years we had a SL salary cap that far exceeded the central funding. Same now for championship. There are some protective measures in place though.

for years we had a SL salary cap that far exceeded the central funding. Same now for championship. There are some protective measures in place though.

They've protected Sheffield, Featherstone and Bradford very nicely over the last 12 months. I will say it again, this whole system was designed to disable the Championship clubs and ask them to play (and lose) nicely to keep the status quo. People like Derek Beaumont ripping up the script has uncovered its flaws and unfortunately its risks.

We need to realise that outside of places like these boards where we have a geeky interest in the business side of the game most just dont care.

Almost all major sports rely on investors and backers, we are frightened to death of it.

They've protected Sheffield, Featherstone and Bradford very nicely over the last 12 months. I will say it again, this whole system was designed to disable the Championship clubs and ask them to play (and lose) nicely to keep the status quo. People like Derek Beaumont ripping up the script has uncovered its flaws and unfortunately its risks.

just because you keep saying that doesnt make it true.

The rfl peed off many sl clubs with this system and the championships clubs were in favour. If they wanted what you suggest the rfl would have refused a cap increase for Leigh. Your point contradicts itself.

just because you keep saying that doesnt make it true.

The rfl peed off many sl clubs with this system and the championships clubs were in favour. If they wanted what you suggest the rfl would have refused a cap increase for Leigh. Your point contradicts itself.

My point is as valid as it comes. It was the game backing down to someone (Beaumont) refusing to play ball. He said he was going to break the cap regardless and the fact the competitions cross over mid-season probably left the authorities without a leg to stand on in terms of enforcing it.

It's ridiculous that we are playing a semi final midweek !

What about a semi final in Wigan on a Friday night between two teams 110 miles apart when the only major link road is the M62?

It's almost as bad as a semi final between the same two teams in Doncaster, but staged 83 miles apart.

Oh, hang on, I've got something wrong there I think.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

What about a semi final in Wigan on a Friday night between two teams 110 miles apart when the only major link road is the M62?

It's almost as bad as a semi final between the same two teams in Doncaster, but staged 83 miles apart.

Oh, hang on, I've got something wrong there I think.

You would have just had a stroll up the road if your lot had pulled their fingers out.

Anyway fixturea are announced as per the OP. Looking forward to all thre games.

Sod the games.

Now I've read this thread I'm far more looking forward to looking at the accounts of all clubs involved and, obviously the minutes of the financial meetings they've had when discussing how to stay under the salary cap, etc, etc.

Any chance we can download these or will anybody be smart enough to produce a dvd, it'll be a best seller, of that I've no doubt.

You would have just had a stroll up the road if your lot had pulled their fingers out.

Yeah but we're s**t at herm so I'd rather play away.  :ph34r:

Anyway, we're disrespecting Wire here, they were great and deserved their bye against Saints.

:whistle:

Lobby

You really are a wind up merchant. I remember when we used to have scores of people in the pub near the British Museum years ago you were always trying to wind up people then. By the way where have all those people gone?I met one guy on the bus from London to Cardiff for the World Cup opener a few years ago but apart from him,no one.

A lot of people are still around Bazz but there isnt that weekly co-ordination any more with a central London pub. At this moment in time I cannot devote enough time to this like I used to, though I'm hoping to do a meet up at the Hope for GF night and possibly this Saturday for the MPG.

As to the thread, the fixtures are announced as Thursday and Friday. Another season and another decision that can only be decided by a person/persons with absolutely no interest in the health or exposure of our fine sport.

I am very much looking forward to both fixtures, and yes, the MPG has my interest as well. What a shame only one game is on the weekend and even more so that it's the one that will be the poorest demonstration of skills.

When will these decisions ever be held accountable?

As to the thread, the fixtures are announced as Thursday and Friday. Another season and another decision that can only be decided by a person/persons with absolutely no interest in the health or exposure of our fine sport.

I am very much looking forward to both fixtures, and yes, the MPG has my interest as well. What a shame only one game is on the weekend and even more so that it's the one that will be the poorest demonstration of skills.

When will these decisions ever be held accountable?

I may be wrong but reading your post makes it look like you think this is the first time this has happened yet the days and dates format is exactly the same as last year.

Apologies if I've got it wrong, I often do.  :(

My point is as valid as it comes. It was the game backing down to someone (Beaumont) refusing to play ball. He said he was going to break the cap regardless and the fact the competitions cross over mid-season probably left the authorities without a leg to stand on in terms of enforcing it.

nah, more likely they realised it was a better way of getting teams promoted including the potential future teams like Toulouse or Toronto. They didnt back down for Koukash.

Either way, genuinely nothing supports your view tgey want to shaft Champ clubs as this change has very much suited many of them and that was why they voted to support it whereas the SL clubs were less welcoming. That tells you where the focus was. Suddenly millions of pounds of the tv deals were being directed to the championships.

2 tier SL - 10 and 10 - 27 games - own division home and away - cross division 1 match - we already have 15 pretty close to full time clubs and could add, say, Toulouse and Toronto, a Cumbrian club, Newcastle and a Welsh team. P and R, variety, development and protection if drop down a level. It's the only system that lets us have it all...

nah, more likely they realised it was a better way of getting teams promoted including the potential future teams like Toulouse or Toronto. They didnt back down for Koukash.

Either way, genuinely nothing supports your view tgey want to shaft Champ clubs as this change has very much suited many of them and that was why they voted to support it whereas the SL clubs were less welcoming. That tells you where the focus was. Suddenly millions of pounds of the tv deals were being directed to the championships.

Again, we will have to put the cue on the rack and agree to disagree. Good debate.

2 tier SL - 10 and 10 - 27 games - own division home and away - cross division 1 match - we already have 15 pretty close to full time clubs and could add, say, Toulouse and Toronto, a Cumbrian club, Newcastle and a Welsh team. P and R, variety, development and protection if drop down a level. It's the only system that lets us have it all...

you need to give us more details of the structures of these leagues and to explain who is going to financially support a Cumbrian,Welsh or Geordie team or is this all something that only a magic wand can provide

you need to give us more details of the structures of these leagues and to explain who is going to financially support a Cumbrian,Welsh or Geordie team or is this all something that only a magic wand can provide

I don't need to at all. The remaining teams were somewhat picked out thin air. I think this should be the goal for the game in its next TV deal. If there is enough money spread among the clubs (and it may not need much more than we have now) this has masses to commend it.

Archived