Nathan Chappell

There isn't much i disagree with you about Bryan but I do feel that if the lads pays the fine and does the community service, then he has every right to earn a living. If he is still contracted to Oldham, why shouldn't it be there? It states he regrets his actions and hopefully will have learned from it. I don't agree with an earlier post that even"lucifer would be welcome" but I do believe first time offenders deserve a second chance. 

remember brian Hogan smashing mal. reillys jaw at Castleford, frank foster who flattened more players than soft mick both Oldham heroes. never heard Oldham fans calling for their heads todays players are pussycats.

Nathan has spoken via twitter to say that not all of the facts have been put in the press and as such people are prejuding him. 

Read his Twitter account for the full details, does seem he has been treated a little harshly 

Just read Nathans comments on Twitter too, always two sides to a story. I do feel though that knowing all this the club could have put something out before all the speculation began to "firefight" this and maybe not reveal all the details (perhaps say personal reasons etc)although as we know they are not exactly hard to find.

People are bound to speculate when a big signing is not in the squads/team for months. The club must have known all this before signing Chappell and have added fuel to the fire by not addressing why the lad isn't playing to the fans.

I really hope he gets back to playing for us soon and puts this incident behind him, let's judge the man from his performances on the pitch not a incident which could happen to any of us on a night out.

True Clifford. For those without Twitter here is what Nathan said in his tweets...,.

"I see the rumour mill is back up and running...just a reminder that he was the boxer and I was defending a woman...but no mention of that ?

I was also assaulted by 2 other people in the incident prior to myself throwing 'the punch'

Be a different story if I was sticking up for their daughter who was being sexually assaulted."

So not all one way traffic as you can see, give the lad a break for crying out loud. Don't believe everything you read in the papers. Unfair to judge a man (who let's be right none of us know personally) on the basis of what is in the press.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, roughyed34 said:

Perhaps more recently the actions of a Fryston player who kneed a lad in the face while being punched by 3/4 others causing a broken jaw is more comparable than George's outburst in terms of potential for criminal assault charges,which afaik havnt been pressed. The bloke got a ban from all RL til June from the RFL,thats it.

Other players have been done for assaults etc and have been "welcomed" back into the RL fold.

If the incident with Chappell had occurred on a pitch then I would say that we don't want that sort of player in our side, but it happened on a night out away from rugby.Whatever the rights and wrongs in this situation regarding player/club then he has been sentenced for the assault by a court of law and I assume is completing his community payback at the moment. Done the crime,done the time. What he did was nothing to do with RL or Oldham RLFC therefore I don't see why the lad shouldn't get a chance to play for us.Up to this incident he apparently had no history of any involvement in violence.

I say give the lad a chance although by no means do I condone his actions in the incident which he was sentenced for.

Everyone deserves a second chance don't they?

Won't the RFL have him on the carpet for bringing the game into disrepute?

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

Wouldn't think so Baron, I have no clue what if any action the RFL could take really. Private matter away from RL? Do the RFL have the power to impose sanctions on players in cases like this? In my opinion, as the court has charged and sentenced him that should be it, the RFL don't need to get involved. When Ryan Bailey et al were sentenced back in 2003 they were free from sanction as far as I can see from the RFL as reported at the time in the Telegraph :-

"Chev Walker, Ryan Bailey and Paul Owen, blah blah... are expected to resurrect their professional careers after their punishment has been served, with their clubs, Leeds and Rochdale, announcing continued support.

The Rugby Football League have also confirmed that the episode will not wreck the players' chances of representative football."

So there have been other instances of players getting in bother since these guys and without traipsing through them all I couldn't say wether the RFL imposed any penalties. IMHO once he is finished doing his debt to society then Nathan should be free to resume his RL career,and consign this episode in his life to the history bin.

I think this sorry episode should be now put to bed, clearly the rfl have set the bar with previous players indiscretions. 

When Nathan starts his career with us, he would have served his sentence and therefore should be allowed to pursue his career 

41 minutes ago, tandle said:

if you read this Nathan Iam backing you all the way stay us and get the red and white on.

Clearly he has, because there is no reason for the twitter comment 

If he re reads the thread hopefully he will find it a positive 

On 3/9/2017 at 3:23 PM, roughyed34 said:

Wouldn't think so Baron, I have no clue what if any action the RFL could take really. Private matter away from RL? Do the RFL have the power to impose sanctions on players in cases like this? In my opinion, as the court has charged and sentenced him that should be it, the RFL don't need to get involved. When Ryan Bailey et al were sentenced back in 2003 they were free from sanction as far as I can see from the RFL as reported at the time in the Telegraph :-

"Chev Walker, Ryan Bailey and Paul Owen, blah blah... are expected to resurrect their professional careers after their punishment has been served, with their clubs, Leeds and Rochdale, announcing continued support.

The Rugby Football League have also confirmed that the episode will not wreck the players' chances of representative football."

So there have been other instances of players getting in bother since these guys and without traipsing through them all I couldn't say wether the RFL imposed any penalties. IMHO once he is finished doing his debt to society then Nathan should be free to resume his RL career,and consign this episode in his life to the history bin.

Agreed. Hoping for a great game today, obviously with a resounding Hornets win. Hope you all enjoy your day.

Hope to see you in the bar Roughyed34.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

• 8 months later...

Nathan has signed for Hunslet for 2018

chappy

Archived