Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
my missus

'haven v toronto

4-24 so far

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

8 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Are you accusing him of being partial to his own team?  Controversial.

It may be better for us that know the game for someone commentating being impartial, then again if his selection as a pundit is to sell it to the Canadian audience then so be it.

• Like 1

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

1 minute ago, GaryO said:

It may be better for us that know the game for someone commentating being impartial, then again if his selection as a pundit is to sell it to the Canadian audience then so be it.

I would guess that his selection as a pundit was based on his willingness to do the job for free as part of the TV deal than anything else.

14 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Are you accusing him of being partial to his own team?  Controversial.

We're Rugby League fans. We don't want enthusiasm and partiality - bring back the calm and even-handed likes of Mick Morgan!

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

4 minutes ago, damp squib said:

I would guess that his selection as a pundit was based on his willingness to do the job for free as part of the TV deal than anything else.

That's a good spin on it Dampers. Who else do you write material for?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Just now, GaryO said:

That's a good spin on it Dampers. Who else do you write material for?

Erm..I was being serious. Why else would Brian Noble be commentating? It's not like anyone in Canada has heard of him before and his BBC rates would certainly be higher than whatever Premier were paying Andrew Henderson for the 4 Nations. We know Premier don't exactly have money to burn and Perez was going to get a TV deal no matter what. Since the Premier deal is essentially Wolfpack TV it makes sense.

That pitch was better suited to spuds than rugby, but both had a go and at times threw some decent ball about.  Character building.

Woods said, at half time, the pitch has a bit of a camber.  Now he knows how all pitches looked to Vince Farrar.

23 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Does anyone know what kind of viewing figures these Toronto games are getting here and back in Canada?

More than if they weren't  televised.

Hope that helps.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Are we close to seeing an actual Canadian playing?

was there any in the match day 19?

in league 1 surely this is the time to at least be playing 1 Canadian maybe 2 in the 17.

p.s Classing jacks as Australian since he lived whole of his life there apart from going to Sheffield last year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeFletchersBarmyArmy said:

in league 1 surely this is the time to at least be playing 1 Canadian maybe 2 in the 17.

p.s Classing jacks as Australian since he lived whole of his life there apart from going to Sheffield last year

What utter flat cap tosh.

• Like 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, MikeFletchersBarmyArmy said:

You think every team in League 1 should play a Canadian?  Surely, that is pushing the expansionist agenda too far.  As long as the teams are viable and contributing to the viability of the sport as a whole, that is surely enough.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Interest in League 1 has never been so high.

Lots of media attention, televised games and every side upping their game for Toronto.

Hopefully this will lead to more exposure in the future even without Toronto

30 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Interest in League 1 has never been so high.

Lots of media attention, televised games and every side upping their game for Toronto.

Hopefully this will lead to more exposure in the future even without Toronto

I know. Awful, isn't it?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Well seems like I get a backlash for wanting to see Canadian players playing.  They have a team that is going to walk this league, this is from a supporter of league 1 team. This is the time to blood Canadians, not when they move up the leagues & the standard is higher. Playing 2 per match isn't going to effect their performances & may actually help the Canadian development.

but I guess it seems like many people don't actually care about seeing actual Canadians play this great game.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, MikeFletchersBarmyArmy said:

Well seems like I get a backlash for wanting to see Canadian players playing.  They have a team that is going to walk this league, this is from a supporter of league 1 team. This is the time to blood Canadians, not when they move up the leagues & the standard is higher. Playing 2 per match isn't going to effect their performances & may actually help the Canadian development.

but I guess it seems like many people don't actually care about seeing actual Canadians play this great game.

I completely agree with you, if it helps!

• Like 3

Maybe they want to get some wins under their belt and take stock of what they have, and what they will need. Whitehaven away is a hard fixture for very good players. Give it time. 

1 hour ago, MikeFletchersBarmyArmy said:

Leave them alone they are still on their honeymoon with our visionary top-hat fans on here.

If they get in the Championship, and then buy a better team still without Canadians then the honeymoon will soon be over.

Wish them well but we will need to see some Canadians at some time or they will be resented, as we are starting to see here....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Maybe they want to get some wins under their belt  Give it time. 

Wins may help keep the interest up, I don't think they can afford to be losers in the bottom league. As for give it time what does that mean? What Canadian player development structure have they put in place that needs the "time"...?

Edited by The Parksider

14 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Wins may help keep the interest up, I don't think they can afford to be losers in the bottom league. As for give it time what does that mean? What Canadian player development structure have they put in place that needs the "time"...?

I think it means they've only played 3 games.  They have brought in some Canadian players, maybe they think they need a bit more training before they are ready for games. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I think it means they've only played 3 games.  They have brought in some Canadian players, maybe they think they need a bit more training before they are ready for games. 

Rhys Jacks is an Aussie import of Canadian descent?? One or two of the high number shirts may be canadian, we shall see.....

Perhaps playing the Canadian players in Canada might be part of the plan, just a thought

• Like 1

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.