Oxford and All Golds to merge?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

No it's not geographical, that club as an entity just won't be, they don't have any business plan or resources to be a pro club.

That isn't what their chairman said, if you look back at his posts. He said they even offered to be self funding for the first few years.

Just now, Evil Homer said:

Ask yourself why their chairman is posting on TotalRL.

I can't be bothered to search for the thread, but I believe it was because the RFL had closed all avenues to them. Of course, we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors at the RFL.

1 minute ago, Evil Homer said:

Ask yourself why their chairman is posting on TotalRL.

I don't know? Maybe to give a little transparency to the wheeling and dealings and behind the scenes chat that they are having with the RFL. Isn't that what Rugby League fans want ?  Having spent a little time in the company of Mr Fitton, I do know that he is passionate about the game and maybe thinks that Rugby League should, maybe, go in a different direction in Manchester.

I'd be interested in your thoughts as to why he posts on TotalRL.

Just now, ojx said:

I can't be bothered to search for the thread, but I believe it was because the RFL had closed all avenues to them. Of course, we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors at the RFL.

Yeah there's a reason the RFL shut them out, it's because they don't have any business plan or resources. Where are they supposed to be getting the money from to be self-funded or build a competitive squad, or even operate at a pro level? They are a low-level amateur club who happen to play at a decent facility (although it's an athletics stadium so pretty poor for spectators), and I believe they did some community work which is credit to them. But they don't have anything to enable them to become a pro team, AFAIK they were just planning to use the meager RFL central funding to try and sign players to match payment contracts which means their business plan was essentially just asking the RFL for money. But because their chairman made a lot of noise and this is the online home of RL fantasists and zealots we now have some sort of campaign to get them in and people talking about them as if they're a credible option, when at present they're not.

6 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

I don't know? Maybe to give a little transparency to the wheeling and dealings and behind the scenes chat that they are having with the RFL. Isn't that what Rugby League fans want ?  Having spent a little time in the company of Mr Fitton, I do know that he is passionate about the game and maybe thinks that Rugby League should, maybe, go in a different direction in Manchester.

I'd be interested in your thoughts as to why he posts on TotalRL.

I'm sure he is passionate, doesn't mean he is capable of doing any of the things he says. Do you think the RFL should just hand out pro franchises to everyone who posts on a fans forum (!) that they want a team?

1 minute ago, Evil Homer said:

I'm sure he is passionate, doesn't mean he is capable of doing any of the things he says. Do you think the RFL should just hand out pro franchises to everyone who posts on a fans forum (!) that they want a team?

Thanks for your response. You are quite right, 'franchises' should not be handed out to anyone. You asked the question, why  was he posting on this forum? I gave an answer. As yet, you haven't. I'd be interested to know why you think he has.

35 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Yeah there's a reason the RFL shut them out, it's because they don't have any business plan or resources. Where are they supposed to be getting the money from to be self-funded or build a competitive squad, or even operate at a pro level? They are a low-level amateur club who happen to play at a decent facility (although it's an athletics stadium so pretty poor for spectators), and I believe they did some community work which is credit to them. But they don't have anything to enable them to become a pro team, AFAIK they were just planning to use the meager RFL central funding to try and sign players to match payment contracts which means their business plan was essentially just asking the RFL for money. But because their chairman made a lot of noise and this is the online home of RL fantasists and zealots we now have some sort of campaign to get them in and people talking about them as if they're a credible option, when at present they're not.

Fair enough, I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this topic.

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

They actually said they would happily not take any central funds for a few years but don’t let facts get in the way

Just now, DoubleD said:

They actually said they would happily not take any central funds for a few years but don’t let facts get in the way

Well in that case I bow down to your 'facts', they actually have a wonderful business plan and it's all just a dastardly RFL scheme to keep them out.

4 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

No it's not geographical, that club as an entity just won't be, they don't have any business plan or resources to be a pro club.

Well, that is simply not true.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Are you aware that the definition of professional is paying people?

To spell that out, it would not be the same players.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

Well in that case I bow down to your 'facts', they actually have a wonderful business plan and it's all just a dastardly RFL scheme to keep them out.

It has been covered previously

You are spouting noxious BS.  Clearly, Swinton and Salford do not want the competition.  This is confirmed by numerous sources.  You making stuff up does not refute this.

2 hours ago, ojx said:

Fair enough, I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this topic.

Do not.

He is making it up.

Really, it is just lies.

Just now, The Daddy said:

The fact that swinton mocked up a badge similar to Manchester Rangers and included Manchester in it is a bit telling. 

Painful, is it not.  Of all thing things Manchester Ranhers were doing, Swinton thought it was about the badge.

Nearly went out of business and they think their problem is Manchester Rangers. They're just treading water and trying to justify their existence. At this point Rangers offer much more. 

The article implied that the RFL was trying to organise some type of merger involving both which just wouldn't work. 

2 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Nearly went out of business and they think their problem is Manchester Rangers. They're just treading water and trying to justify their existence. At this point Rangers offer much more. 

The article implied that the RFL was trying to organise some type of merger involving both which just wouldn't work. 

Indeed.

It is not so much justifying Swinton RLFC, more justifying the management that have brought them to this low point of sniping at a club that show it can be done.

The sport needs a Manchester team as much as it needs a London or Toronto. This has nothing to do with Swinton which has designs on moving back.to swinton, so why are they putting Manchester on their badge. Just to spite another ambitious club. Another example of small mindedness in RL. 

33 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It has been covered previously

You are spouting noxious BS.  Clearly, Swinton and Salford do not want the competition.  This is confirmed by numerous sources.  You making stuff up does not refute this.

Yeah ok, I'm lying. The RFL just blocked a great, viable expansion opportunity because Swinton Lions told them to. LOL.

I’m not a big fan of incorporating “Manchester” into the Swinton logo, but for reasons other than those stated earlier in the thread.

I live in what would loosely be termed north Manchester/south Lancashire, but could never support a sports team called “Manchester” and have absolutely no interest in the Manchester Rangers for that reason.

I can understand though that for marketing reasons the Swinton Lions feel pushed to have made this step and I support that.

I also understand that Swintonians themselves tend to like identifying more with Manchester than Salford.

Archived