Oxford and All Golds to merge?

44 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Not enough clubs are interested in this for it to be possible unfortunately.

Yeah I know that was the case a few months ago but rumours are they are trying to resurrect it which would tie in if these 2 drop out. Whether it will happen remains to be seen

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, DoubleD said:

Yeah I know that was the case a few months ago but rumours are they are trying to resurrect it which would tie in if these 2 drop out. Whether it will happen remains to be seen

Are they looking at one South wide division or two regional ones?

58 minutes ago, bowes said:

Are they looking at one South wide division or two regional ones?

I think a southern wide one, but i genuinely don't know............just heard that they were trying to resurrect it. It would be good if something could be put in place

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I think a southern wide one, but i genuinely don't know............just heard that they were trying to resurrect it. It would be good if something could be put in place

Yeah I'd like to see it but not convinced it will happen to be honest. Too many false starts 

Not going to happen, only three clubs applied, was told this by the chap from the RFL who was trying to organise it. He did say they would try again  for 2019 season. TOTAL APATHY  from the southern clubs. Although he did say Hemel Stags would run a reserve grade team in it, getting ready for the move down south, instead there reserves will play in the London League. 

2 minutes ago, newbe said:

Not going to happen, only three clubs applied, was told this by the chap from the RFL who was trying to organise it. He did say they would try again  for 2019 season. TOTAL APATHY  from the southern clubs. Although he did say Hemel Stags would run a reserve grade team in it, getting ready for the move down south, instead there reserves will play in the London League. 

It's easy enough to claim that southern clubs are apathetic yet just take a realistic look at the state of amateur RL in traditional areas. The major problem would appear to be apathy of unwillingness to commit from individual players, not simply the clubs as a whole. There are a host of administrators working their socks off but being let down by players.

(This is not limited to RL by a long chalk but most of open-age amateur sport in general.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Ivan  I think you are correct about lack of money, but the last lot of funding was squandered by the people of the RFL down South n Red Hall. There is no cohesive thinking from the top down, an employing someone from Leeds to sought a Southern League out is not going to work. 

I'd agree far too much has been wasted (a certain 3G pitch that I believe is never used for RL springs to mind.) However a lot of good work was also done. The loss of most of the development officers down here is a blow southern RL has never recovered from.

Edited to say the lack of development officers in Oxford was a huge issue for Oxford RL, and if reports of their demise are true it will be a contributing factor.

12 hours ago, weighman said:

That they will not take part in C1 in 2018 & that there will be home & away fixtures next season.

but is that actually what is going to happen? are those 2 clubs actually disbanding, will the division be restructured, will they get 2 other teams to come in... 

maybe there is no change and these 2 teams are going to carry on.. maybe they are still negotiating with the RFL 

something should be announced but only when everyone is sure what is going on.. they could still be talking about this and deciding.. its not perfect and i'm all for kicking the RFL but in this instance it seems very harsh

6 minutes ago, weighman said:

The fixtures are being announced 1/11/17 surely the RFL know by now who is taking part .

wouldnt put money on it.

maybe they believe you dont need to fuel a message board and there is nothing to announce as its business as usual

9 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I wonder what this will mean for Bristol Sonics and how they feel about it?

The Sonics will be issuing a press release shortly welcoming the new merged club. We've had a very brief conversation with some of those involved with the new club and will be sitting down with them properly at a later date. The release above just says the bare minimum - they seem a lot further down the line than the RFL press release suggests, so we can expect further announcements about things like name, location and crucially backers over the next few weeks and months. 

At the end of the day, we want what is best for Rugby League in our city. Our aim would be to work with the new club to find ways we can strengthen the roots of the game at junior, youth and amateur label and ensure that there is a proper pathway. It's in both clubs interests to ensure that all facets of the game (schools, juniors, amateur, academy, pro etc) are moving in the same direction.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

Archived