England - who will step down and who will step up?

23 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

From players not in the world cup squad who i think should be making a push for the kiwis

1.Shaul

2.Johnston

3.Conner

4.Suttcliffe

5.Burgess

6.Tomkins

7.Sneyd

8.G Burgess

9.Clark

10.Watts

11.Greenwood

12.Wardle

13.Ward

Wardle?  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Think that’s fair enough.  Smith is 34 now, 35 next year.  Playing like he does could last for years.  IMO I think he’ll move away from it now.

Yes i think that's it for him. One international now for Australia until the end of 2019 (quite disgraceful but that's another topic) so this was the perfect swansong and line drawing of this era for them greats they will all go. Unlikely we will see Inglis again either, he will be turning 33 by end of 2019. End of an era

Players who could force themselves into the England squad for the series against New Zealand are :-

Jamie shaul

jake connor

oliver gildart

joe burgess

andre saveillo

stevie ward

Tom Johnstone 

sam tomkins

joe Greenwood 

Just now, walter sobchak said:

Players who could force themselves into the England squad for the series against New Zealand are :-

Jamie shaul

jake connor

oliver gildart

joe burgess

andre saveillo

stevie ward

Tom Johnstone 

sam tomkins

joe Greenwood 

Gildart, Percival challenging for that left side is going to be interesting. Not sure about Connor, as he swapped about last year. Also, not sure Burgess could depose Hall, who can’t be criticised given the lack of real opportunities he’s had.

Just ST for the halfback position then.  Surely Albert Kelly has some English heritage?

38 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Gildart, Percival challenging for that left side is going to be interesting. Not sure about Connor, as he swapped about last year. Also, not sure Burgess could depose Hall, who can’t be criticised given the lack of real opportunities he’s had.

Just ST for the halfback position then.  Surely Albert Kelly has some English heritage?

He must have as much English blood as Rangi Chase at least. And Albert is a an English sounding name. Get him in.

15 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Mikolaj Oledzki is the real deal at prop.

I agree but way to early for him to be getting anywhere near the England squad for the kiwi series. A great shout for the 2021 RLWC though.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

My money would be on Gildart claiming the other centre position with Watkins the other. I agree with you about Ryan Hall as well keeping his wing spot. I thought he was terrific today. Joe burgess would be good cover though if he rediscovers his 2015 form and tom Johnstone could be anything. He could be Ryan hall’s replacement for the 2021 RLWC.

10 from Yorkshire and 6 from Lancashire in today's team.

Wayne Bennett knows a good player when he sees one. That's obviously the template England should be working to.

Australia only had one Welshman, that's why they struggled.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

30 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

My money would be on Gildart claiming the other centre position with Watkins the other. I agree with you about Ryan Hall as well keeping his wing spot. I thought he was terrific today. Joe burgess would be good cover though if he rediscovers his 2015 form and tom Johnstone could be anything. He could be Ryan hall’s replacement for the 2021 RLWC.

Agree on all of that. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a point where Manfredi was looking like the real deal but injuries have been mighty cruel. If he can get back on track then I could certainly see him on the wing in 4 years. The halves are still the issue.

I vaguely remember Savelio saying he wasn't interested in playing for England/GB. I may be wrong, though. He's still a rather an outside chance to make it to that level of selectability, unless he develops his game and mentality a bit.

Manfredi looked like becoming the real deal, but has been injured so long, we can't really judge 'til he's got plenty of games under his belt.

Gildart is definitely worth looking at for the centre position. Harvey Livett still has some development to go, but could be one to watch in a few years. I'd gladly have had Shenton in this World Cup squad, but he doesn't seem to be on the radar for the England management.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

Agree on all of that. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a point where Manfredi was looking like the real deal but injuries have been mighty cruel. If he can get back on track then I could certainly see him on the wing in 4 years. The halves are still the issue.

Manfredi was like you say looking like the real deal before his cruel injury. I really hope he can recover and get back on track. As for the halves I’m just not convinced about brown and Williams. Maybe Sam Tomkins can rediscover some form and stake a claim for fullback or even standoff leaving Widdop to play #6 or #1. Also Lomax is not international quality for me at fullback at least. While I really like the look of the kid at Leeds. Jack walker.

2 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Manfredi was like you say looking like the real deal before his cruel injury. I really hope he can recover and get back on track. As for the halves I’m just not convinced about brown and Williams. Maybe Sam Tomkins can rediscover some form and stake a claim for fullback or even standoff leaving Widdop to play #6 or #1. Also Lomax is not international quality for me at fullback at least. While I really like the look of the kid at Leeds. Jack walker.

Is Walker staying at Leeds? He did make some noises about looking elsewhere, because Ashton Golding was first choice at the back. Golding's a promising young FB too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I vaguely remember Savelio saying he wasn't interested in playing for England/GB. I may be wrong, though. He's still a rather an outside chance to make it to that level of selectability, unless he develops his game and mentality a bit.

Manfredi looked like becoming the real deal, but has been injured so long, we can't really judge 'til he's got plenty of games under his belt.

Gildart is definitely worth looking at for the centre position. Harvey Livett still has some development to go, but could be one to watch in a few years. I'd gladly have had Shenton in this World Cup squad, but he doesn't seem to be on the radar for the England management.

I don’t think Shelton would have let anyone down and would have got more ball to the wings.  Not so sure he could have have defended as well?  I think his time has gone now.  Another who’s been blighted with injury.

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I don’t think Shelton would have let anyone down and would have got more ball to the wings.  Not so sure he could have have defended as well?  I think his time has gone now.  Another who’s been blighted with injury.

Shenton's a decent enough defender, and I think his passing game would have given England more chances to unleash Hall, who must have been wondering if he could even buy a pass from Bateman.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

58 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Is Walker staying at Leeds? He did make some noises about looking elsewhere, because Ashton Golding was first choice at the back. Golding's a promising young FB too.

Walker signed a new deal just before the Grand Final (I think) .

I think Walkers future lies at half back. 

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

56 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think it’s all been settled now regarding walker. As for Golding I don’t think from what little I’ve seen of him offers as much of an attacking threat compared to walker but like you say he’s young and could develop this part of his game in years to come. Plus a lot of Leeds fans seem to see him maybe moving onto the wing or even the halves in future. Either way they are both 2 exciting talents for both Leeds and England.

Id also throw in Huddersfield youngster Darnell McIntosh who also looks very promising.

2 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Walker signed a new deal just before the Grand Final (I think) .

I think Walkers future lies at half back. 

Wasn’t he(walker) a standoff in his academy years?

1 minute ago, walter sobchak said:

I think it’s all been settled now regarding walker. As for Golding I don’t think from what little I’ve seen of him offers as much of an attacking threat compared to walker but like you say he’s young and could develop this part of his game in years to come. Plus a lot of Leeds fans seem to see him maybe moving onto the wing or even the halves in future. Either way they are both 2 exciting talents for both Leeds and England.

Id also throw in Huddersfield youngster Darnell McIntosh who also looks very promising.

I thought that, during Leeds' horrific 2015, Golding looked one of the few bright sparks amongst the under-performers. He seems like an alert, smart player, so he could end up further forward in the team.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, terrywebbisgod said:

Yes and Goulding was a scrum half in his junior days.

So you’d think that 1 of them will end up playing in the halves sooner rather than later.

Archived