Unfair Britania, Britania is unfair

This story was covered in several papers so I chose a Tory Rag so it wouldn't be accused of being biased. At first I was going to put it on those nice Tories thread but Britain fast becoming one of the most unfair societies and countries is nothing to be proud of or aspire to and deserves a discussion in its own right.

"All four members of the board of the government's social mobility commission have quit over the lack of progress towards a "fairer Britain".

Alan Milburn, chair of the commission, said in his resignation letter to Theresa May: "I remain deeply committed to the issue, but I have little hope of the current government making the progress I believe is necessary to bring about a fairer Britain.

"It seems unable to commit to the future of the Commission as an independent body or to give due priority to the social mobility challenge facing our nation"

A Fairer Britain is a Tory rallying cry whilst unfairness remains a clear agenda. A cake and eat it policy might be something to wish for it but isn't very practical and all too obvious.

Let's get one thing straight though fairness isn't about stopping the rich being rich no matter how many people want it to be the nub of equality.

"Unfair Britannia,

Britannia is unfair,

Britons never never never shall be fair!"

All in true Tory Blue for realism.

5a23d90f69ae4_union-jack-ukanimatedflagFreedownload.gif.3827678e7b9eefaa63f82b6988f0e3a6.gif

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The Tsar's post ended in July so he's resigned from a post that is no longer his.  He's Labour so what did you expect?  All but one of the board is.  

Not sure what a PM is supposed to do in a year.  Either that or this has nothing to do with May given that he's been in post since the days of Tony Blair.

47 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

The Tsar's post ended in July so he's resigned from a post that is no longer his.  He's Labour so what did you expect?  All but one of the board is.  

Not sure what a PM is supposed to do in a year.  Either that or this has nothing to do with May given that he's been in post since the days of Tony Blair.

The post did not end in July,  Baroness Gillian Shephard, also resigned, she's a Tory so what would you expect. 

May made a big deal about "tackling the burning Injustice that holds people back" when she was chasing the keys to No.10

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Who or what is this "Britania" of which you speak? :huh:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, Oxford said:

This story was covered in several papers

It's also already being discussed on here:

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/281202-those-nice-tories/&page=115

Does it need another thread?

I'm not locking it or owt, because one side or t'other of the great political divide will only accuse me of some kind of bias, I just wonder if there's an appetite for people to want to argue the same points in two places at once...

Let the forum decide.

3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Why do you use the term Tsar?

Why don't you refer to the four of them resigning or what the significance of that might be?

And how does the length of his tenure affect this event?

It's not whether you have a point or not it's just fathoming what it is?

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

You can’t dump me cause I’m dumping you first...

If he is jumping before being pushed then the resignation is a piece of theatre designed to highlight that it's all empty rhetoric!

The Tories talk a good game of insisting on equality of opportunity so that they can maintain the victim's fault theme that dominates their policies.

This is not about them being the nice party it's about what they've put in place, or not, to achieve what they promised!

I know some of the things they have tried and they're worthy of mention and I would have expected any Tory supporter to at least put those forward.

Also what are the things that Labour are promising to do, or not, to get to grips with this issue?

6 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

A good start would be to ensure multinational corporations paid local taxes along with the super rich. 

After we’ve raised some money we can look at other initiatives 

You got a handy list of which ones dont pay local taxes under the rules? HMRC could do with a copy.

1 hour ago, Li0nhead said:

You got a handy list of which ones dont pay local taxes under the rules? HMRC could do with a copy.

Lol. The problem, as you clearly know, by your phrasing of the reply is that there are loopholes in the rules. I’m not indicating that these corporations/people are doing anything legally wrong. However amazon, google, apple et al are paying a far lower rate of tax than local companies who can’t use the same schemes. This reduces competition and is anti capitalist.

The rules need tightening to change that and make a more level playing field for small innovative companies. 

A good start would be to not have these companies advise the government on tax legislation. I mean that’s like having benefits claimants advise on benefit distribution. It’s a rediculous idea. Yet it happens. 

19 hours ago, Padge said:

The post did not end in July,  Baroness Gillian Shephard, also resigned, she's a Tory so what would you expect. 

May made a big deal about "tackling the burning Injustice that holds people back" when she was chasing the keys to No.10

So you would expect a PM to sort out social injustice in a year when Labour couldn't do it in 13?  I wonder why you would think that.  Nothing to do with the PM being Tory by any chance?

The 'resignation' was just political theatre and worthless, except to the media of course.  They loved it.

21 hours ago, Padge said:

Sky News reported last night that the post had ended in July and an advert for a replacement was already out there.

30 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

this is Mark Steel's take on how fair our society is.

Don't you just love Mark Steel.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived