RL on Canadian TV

manu266

3 minutes ago, manu266 said:

No, but we can assume they will film all home games, so Toulouse and Widnes are 99% secured. And I don't see Sky missing the Leeds game, even if both teams are qualified, it is still a reigning champions (Super League v Championship) duel.

That might be the case but I was replying specifically to the post that interpreted the Wolfpack announcement as confirming TV coverage of games 4-6. It did not confirm them.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, manu266 said:

No, but we can assume they will film all home games, so Toulouse and Widnes are 99% secured. And I don't see Sky missing the Leeds game, even if both teams are qualified, it is still a reigning champions (Super League v Championship) duel.

I had better be able to watch the Leeds game.

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

The Challenge Cup Final will be broadcast live on SN Now.

I'm confused, and probably angry.

I start up the SportsNet app on my iPad, and look at the schedule. I can see the CC game listed Saturday at 10am EDT, though the channel identifier just says SN, like many other lines in the schedule.

Then I Sign In, using my Bell Fibe credentials (NOT SportsNet Now credentials). Now that line is missing from the schedule.

My conclusion is that this game is available only to those who pay the additional fee to subscribe to SportsNet NOW. I pay Bell for access to most of the SN channels, and then I pay extra to subscribe to SportsNet World to watch SL and NRL games each week. But that appears not to be enough to qualify to watch the Challenge Cup game.

Sportsnet NOW is $25/month. They don't seem to offer the 7-day free trial any more, as far as I can see.

I hope I am wrong about this.

I have never seen a more confusing and dishonest offer than SN. Someone else on this forum helped me to understand it at the beginning of the season, I was fuming.

If you have SN on your cable service, you have can stream everything that is scheduled on the channels that you have. So SN and if you have them on your cable, SN1, SN360 and SNWL. Without paying any extra. It’s both live and short tape delay, maximum 24h I think, which is really poor, it should be at least 3 days, ideally 7.

If the match you want to see is on SN Now, streaming only, then you need to pay the extra $25, even if you have SNWL in your cable subscription.

I don’t see the Cup final anywhere on traditional tv, not even delay, so no chance to access it with a conventional service.

Now I subscribed in May for Summer Bash and Magic Weekend. I cancelled right away when I realized I couldn’t replay most games. They actually reimbursed me for the unused days of the month. So I guess you could just sign-up Saturday morning, cancel in the afternoon. 28.75 debit, 27.82 credit, real cost less than a buck.

image.png.e1a674414f5acfdacc2e43cb68579700.png

For US viewers, the game is live with Fox Soccer Pass, and at 11.30 on Fox Soccer Plus.

I think a subscription to SN World ought to get one access to the game on SN NOW. I have tweeted to SportsNet. I also just left a message at 1-888-451-6363 to explain calmly why I think their business model (if I understand it correctly) is wrong. I encourage all fans here to call them as well to show the support for rugby league coverage.

2 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

I think a subscription to SN World ought to get one access to the game on SN NOW. I have tweeted to SportsNet. I also just left a message at 1-888-451-6363 to explain calmly why I think their business model (if I understand it correctly) is wrong. I encourage all fans here to call them as well to show the support for rugby league coverage.

I emailed and called Rogers earlier in the year when the same thing happened to the World Club Challenge.  I got a reply saying nothing will change and that TV rights are different from online rights.

From what I understand, NRL games are shown on SNW TV but not on SN NOW online and some SL games are shown on SN NOW and not SNW TV.  So to watch all NRL and SL games you will need to order SN NOW directly through Rogers and SNW through your cable provider.

I agree with you that these games, especially the CC final, need to be easier to access on TV to drum up support for RL in Canada.

I watched the CC semifinals on youtube (great games), hopefully the final will also be on youtube the next day also.

I get that TV and online rights are different. In this case I am merely arguing that my subscription to SN World through Bell ought to entitle me to access the CC game on SN NOW. That's not a rights issue, it's a SN NOW policy issue, that would better treat customers like me.

Longer term, yes, I also want to see more RL on TV!

On 8/23/2018 at 5:15 PM, John WP Fan said:

I get that TV and online rights are different. In this case I am merely arguing that my subscription to SN World through Bell ought to entitle me to access the CC game on SN NOW. That's not a rights issue, it's a SN NOW policy issue, that would better treat customers like me.

Longer term, yes, I also want to see more RL on TV!

As a bell user can you login to the fibe TV online to watch?  TV.fibe.ca or something.  I know there's a program guide  it's kinda like using you bell box on a browser.

4 hours ago, TboneFromTO said:

As a bell user can you login to the fibe TV online to watch?  TV.fibe.ca or something.  I know there's a program guide  it's kinda like using you bell box on a browser.

Not by tuning into SNWL TV, because the game is not on TV, but if the FibeTV platform redirects you to the SN Now app then yes.

3 minutes ago, manu266 said:

Not by tuning into SNWL TV, because the game is not on TV, but if the FibeTV platform redirects you to the SN Now app then yes.

That sucks.  Like ALOT.

Yeah, we are going backwards in term of RL coverage here in Canada. It was better when Eric Perez was involved in broadcasting, but now like we say in French he has other cats to whip, he cannot be everywhere, we need to clone him.

On 8/23/2018 at 4:55 AM, John WP Fan said:

I pay extra to subscribe to SportsNet World to watch SL and NRL games each week

If you’re keen on the NRL there’s an official app that includes a 24 hour rugby league channel with heaps of rugby league themed shows in addition to heaps of games.

https://www.watchnrl.com/

6 hours ago, Copa said:

If you’re keen on the NRL there’s an official app that includes a 24 hour rugby league channel with heaps of rugby league themed shows in addition to heaps of games.

https://www.watchnrl.com/

Last season I would have said that I was more interested in the NRL than Super League. The level of play seems better, and maybe because I had heard of more of the cities (and had been to a few!) it was a little easier for me to engage initially.

As the Wolfpack get closer to playing in SL, my interest in that league has grown, and now I'm more likely to watch a SL game than an NRL match. Especially after attending Magic Weekend, the SL teams are now meaningful to me.

Sportsnet World already provides more rugby league games than I can watch, and I assume they will provide decent coverage of the NRL playoffs and grand final, so watchnrl.com isn't a good value proposition for me.

Warrington v Hull FC will be on SN1 on Thursday 7pm, live on SNWL. Friday game delayed on SNWL.

Leeds v Hull KR not on the board yet.

Also RU Premiership back on SNWL and Pro14 not on the DAZN board yet.

On 8/28/2018 at 9:15 AM, manu266 said:

Warrington v Hull FC will be on SN1 on Thursday 7pm, live on SNWL. Friday game delayed on SNWL.

Leeds v Hull KR not on the board yet.

Also RU Premiership back on SNWL and Pro14 not on the DAZN board yet.

Looks like Leeds vs Hull KR is not being shown, just two RU Premiership games.   Now I'm worried about the Salford vs TWP game not being on next week.

What is with DAZN not showing the Pro14 this year? Is there another platform?

1 hour ago, ojx said:

Looks like Leeds vs Hull KR is not being shown, just two RU Premiership games.   Now I'm worried about the Salford vs TWP game not being on next week.

I'm watching Sportsnet right now and they are indeed showing the Wolfpack game v Salford, however its on SNworld (and now) just saw the graphic before the everton match

I'm here to grumble that the pundints on sports net don't even know what the league is called.   They said " the Wolfpack are gunning for promotion to the priemier league"

58 minutes ago, ojx said:

DAZN showed Zebre-Kings yesterday afternoon, so Pro14 is back. It's just that one game for now, even though Premier is showing all other games in the UK and Pro14 website mentions that DAZN shows Dragons - Benetton today, supposedly now.

Salford is confirmed on Sky, GameTV and CBC sports as well.

However still no word on the Toulouse coverage or did I miss something? The only indication is that the kickoff is at 12.30, so should be on Sky and French TV as well, but I cannot find anything official.

Archived