VAR

44 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's wrong with it in football?

Goal line fine , but otherwise I’d be saying don’t do it ! It just creeps n  creeps as we’ve seen .i wish we could go back and get shot of it or pare it right back 

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

Well VAR worked well last night

The problem with what they're trying to achieve is that even if you look at an alleged dive on a replay there's still no consistency of agreement on what happened because you're still relying on a human making the judgement.

For me they should have given up once they'd sorted out the goal line technology.

1 minute ago, Bramstein said:

The problem with what they're trying to achieve is that even if you look at an alleged dive on a replay there's still no consistency of agreement on what happened because you're still relying on a human making the judgement.

For me they should have given up once they'd sorted out the goal line technology.

The purest game has crossed the line now and there is no going back. Video technology is great for some things and frustrating for others. What Football and RL don't have is the ability to rely on things like hawkeye (Tennis) or snicko/hotspot etc. like cricket. This takes the humanity out of the decision a little and there is less disquiet at video decisions in those sports.

31 minutes ago, Bramstein said:

Football doesnt need video , what they do need is 2 more linesmen behind the goals as they have in European comps , it cuts out all the silly stuff at corners/free kicks and removes the blind spots you get with just the 2 

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Just accept that, with all the technology available to humanity, slo-mo and full speed replays from every possible angle and shown in eye-bleedingly high definition, two randomly-selected fans (one from each team) will look at identical coverage of the same incident and completely disagree with each other, more often than not.

It is very simple, if the incident involves a player from the opposing team then the pass is clearly forward, if it is from my team then it is fine.;)

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

The problem with the VAR system that they are using is the way they are doing it with too much emphasis on protecting the ref. I think the wording they are using is “clear and obvious error”. I don’t watch loads of football but I’ve seen 3 no penalty decision go up from the ref. Two of them were nailed on penalties that were turned down because he got caught but it wasn’t a clear and obvious error. 

29 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The problem with the VAR system that they are using is the way they are doing it with too much emphasis on protecting the ref. I think the wording they are using is “clear and obvious error”. I don’t watch loads of football but I’ve seen 3 no penalty decision go up from the ref. Two of them were nailed on penalties that were turned down because he got caught but it wasn’t a clear and obvious error. 

Agree with this Bob. You are also going to get players appealing to the refs all the time which is not going to be pretty. Footballers are pretty disrespectful to the referees as it is. With VAR this could get ugly quickly.

41 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Agree with this Bob. You are also going to get players appealing to the refs all the time which is not going to be pretty. Footballers are pretty disrespectful to the referees as it is. With VAR this could get ugly quickly.

Players have made a rod for their own back . From minute 1 to minute 90 they con , cheat and try to deceive refs . Refs have a tough gig but it’s made ten times worse by all manner of antics from diving , to pleading innocence for every foul to kicking a ball out and appealing for a throw in ... its made footy a very hard watch for me and the officials have their work cut out . Video may iron out some refs errors but hopefully the highlight is shone also on the  cheating blighting yhe game and punishing that more 

18 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Stopping the game ages after the incident. Goal line technology works because the officials can see that straight away. It it breaks the game up too much. Footballs supposed to be fast flowing 

Unlike when a penalty or free kick within shooting distance is awarded, then it's fine to hold up play while players argue the toss with the ref. It's not uncommon to see the actual kick taken up to two minutes after the actual offence.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I disagree, I think that once they realise they're subject to being caught bang to rights by video technology they may even reign in their dissent.

7 minutes ago, Billypop said:

I disagree, I think that once they realise they're subject to being caught bang to rights by video technology they may even reign in their dissent.

Fair point on that. I was making reference to the hounding and pleading to the referee to review every single thing no matter how trivial. They even shout over throw ins and corners.

15 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Fair point on that. I was making reference to the hounding and pleading to the referee to review every single thing no matter how trivial. They even shout over throw ins and corners.

The behaviour and language toward officials is disgraceful . Footballers are no more emotional than rugby players so there no excuse , the issue is with officials tolerating it . treat it harshly with more cards and bans or they'll keep doing it . If the will is there they can handle it 

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Even when it is obvious that there are no grounds for appeal.

14 hours ago, Scubby said:

I think this is where it all goes wrong. It undermines the authority of the referee as chief arbiter. 

If we're going to use video technology, it should be as an aid to the referee, like touch judges.

With modern technology, it should be possible for the ref to view the replay himself if he is unsure and then make a decision. Either go to the edge of the pitch or have someone bring him a monitor. He could then direct the operator to show him what he missed/couldn't see. This may also reduce the number of times he goes to the screen, as he wouldn't be simply passing the buck.

On 17/01/2018 at 1:22 PM, Wholly Trinity said:

Good video this :)

While a brilliant demonstration of the forward pass rule, you do realise that posting RU video you are a heretic and deserve to be made to walk up to every RL game saying shame!  Ridiculous it may be but those are the rules!

Archived