49 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Very decent showing from Whyte last night. Didn't show any hangover from the first fight, and got the job done easy enough.

Just a shame that it looks like he may never get his deserved shot, such an unlucky fighter. 

Povetkin never looked right to me even during his ringwalk.

It was a good win by Whyte.

Even better to hear him call out Eddie Hearn on his apparent lack of progress in his career in terms of title shots.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2021 at 12:48, Gerrumonside ref said:

Povetkin never looked right to me even during his ringwalk.

It was a good win by Whyte.

Even better to hear him call out Eddie Hearn on his apparent lack of progress in his career in terms of title shots.

He's certainly a man not afraid to speak his mind! 

To be fair, I don't think Eddie is squarely to blame. Circumstances have just not fallen for him. Wilder has pretty much refused to fight him despite being mandatory, and the fact that AJ had already beaten him early in his career meant that fight wasn't on the cards. It was even being touted a couple of years back but fans booed the idea. 

If he hadn't lost to Povetkin, maybe he'd be fighting Usyk for the interim title. Like I said, timing hasn't been on his side. 

• Like 1

Carl Frampton in a Super Featherweight World Title fight tonight live at 10pm on Channel 5.

If he beats American champion Jermel Herring, he could join the elite club of British boxers to win world belts at three different weights (Bob Fitzsimmons, Duke McKenzie and Ricky Burns).

Herring (22-2) has only 10 KO’s on his record so even though Frampton must be reaching the end at 34 years old, this could be his last hurrah.

The bookies have it down as an even money fight.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Carl Frampton in a Super Featherweight World Title fight tonight live at 10pm on Channel 5.

If he beats American champion Jermel Herring, he could join the elite club of British boxers to win world belts at three different weights (Bob Fitzsimmons, Duke McKenzie and Ricky Burns).

Herring (22-2) has only 10 KO’s on his record so even though Frampton must be reaching the end at 34 years old, this could be his last hurrah.

Good fight for Carl . Realistically if he cant win this he’s done

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Good fight for Carl . Realistically if he cant win this he’s done

Then he's done. Frampton looked like he was fighting a guy from at least one weight division up, and struggled to get within range without taking good, accurate shots from Herring.  

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Frampton completely outclassed against a much bigger fighter. Its certainly the right decision to retire. 

He had to take so many risks to get close enough, and Herring was good enough to take advantage.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I presumed it was on BT, turned it on as he'd just been stopped. 

Disappointed for him to go out like that, but he's had a very decent career and can enjoy his retirement. 

11 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Then he's done. Frampton looked like he was fighting a guy from at least one weight division up, and struggled to get within range without taking good, accurate shots from Herring.  

Yes indeed . Father Time in boxing is crueler than in any other sport . A prime Carl would have got inside and worked him constantly , but it just wasn’t there and hasn’t been for a fair while . He was a buzz saw of a fighter , all workrate and pressure . Unfortunately he looked in slow motion , and being without the physical attributes ( Herring was at least two weight divisions higher ) he’s just there to be picked off , and when punch resistance goes as well it’s goodnight charlie . Herring is tidy and well schooled and came across a real gentleman 

Although Herring was winning every round, I believed Frampton had a chance when he succeeded in opening up a cut above Herring’s right eye.

The truth was he just couldn’t exploit the opening to try and make that cut worse and change the fight.

By trying to close the distance on the southpaw’s reach advantage, Frampton ended up walking onto some stiff looking shots that put him down and contributed greatly to the fight being stopped.

To be honest I was very surprised the referee didn't stop it before Frampton's corner threw in the towel. Frampton had clearly gone and was very unsteady on his feet. The final knockdown saw Frampton go down very slowly, like in slow motion, and he did very well to get up but he was clearly done at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

We're getting close to the fight of the year. 

Yes I'm taking about Jake Paul vs Ben Askren.

In all honesty, I have very little interest in this fight, aside from the fact that Jake Paul is the bookies favourite. I know next to nothing about MMA, but surely the fact that Askren has been an elite level fighter puts him at a significant advantage? 

Don’t forget Liam Williams challenging the lesser spotted I’m the most avoided boxer on the planet Demetrius Boo Boo Andrade tomorrow . Obviously big ask for Williams who made his name at 154 , and with Andrade being a big middleweight . I do rate Andrade , who is in the Dillian Whyte mode in terms of maybe being a bit peeved at Fast Eddie not getting him mega fights , and this seems another marking time fight as he continues to ‘ chase ‘ guys like Canelo GGG and Charlo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Don’t forget Liam Williams challenging the lesser spotted I’m the most avoided boxer on the planet Demetrius Boo Boo Andrade tomorrow . Obviously big ask for Williams who made his name at 154 , and with Andrade being a big middleweight . I do rate Andrade , who is in the Dillian Whyte mode in terms of maybe being a bit peeved at Fast Eddie not getting him mega fights , and this seems another marking time fight as he continues to ‘ chase ‘ guys like Canelo GGG and Charlo

Could be as early as 10.30pm (our time) start on DAZN as they’re showing this early in America.

16 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I know next to nothing about MMA, but surely the fact that Askren has been an elite level fighter puts him at a significant advantage? 

Not 100% sure but was Askren more of a grappler than puncher?  I think he's shorter too?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Could be as early as 10.30pm (our time) start on DAZN as they’re showing this early in America.

Really? That's odd, as Americans are not very accommodating to our tastes. Also, it's not like Williams is such a big name that they're going to get a huge boost from a UK audience. 

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Not 100% sure but was Askren more of a grappler than puncher?  I think he's shorter too?

I get this, but I'm still of the opinion that this guy has had physical fights with elite athletes (of which striking and avoiding striking is a big part), whereas Paul has basically had a couple of charity fights.

Maybe I'm very wrong and Paul has all the advantages, I'm sure we'll find out! 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Really? That's odd, as Americans are not very accommodating to our tastes. Also, it's not like Williams is such a big name that they're going to get a huge boost from a UK audience. 

“UK fight fans will be pleased to note the earlier start times, despite the event - which takes place on the same night as Jake Paul’s much-hyped clash with former MMA star Ben Askren - being held in the United States.

The main event is expected at approximately 10:30pm BST, though the exact time will depend on the length of those earlier bouts, with the undercard getting underway at around 8pm.”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/boxing/andrade-vs-williams-live-stream-what-time-uk-fight-prediction-undercard-odds-b929891.html%3famp

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

“UK fight fans will be pleased to note the earlier start times, despite the event - which takes place on the same night as Jake Paul’s much-hyped clash with former MMA star Ben Askren - being held in the United States.

The main event is expected at approximately 10:30pm BST, though the exact time will depend on the length of those earlier bouts, with the undercard getting underway at around 8pm.”

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/boxing/andrade-vs-williams-live-stream-what-time-uk-fight-prediction-undercard-odds-b929891.html%3famp

So it's to accommodate Paul and Askren? 🤦

• Haha 1

On 16/04/2021 at 17:35, Maximus Decimus said:

I get this, but I'm still of the opinion that this guy has had physical fights with elite athletes (of which striking and avoiding striking is a big part), whereas Paul has basically had a couple of charity fights.

Maybe I'm very wrong and Paul has all the advantages, I'm sure we'll find out! 

I don't think Askren took it that seriously and paid the price.  Paul, for all his many many flaws, does actually train!  He is yet to fight anyone actually proficient or dangerous yet.

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I don't think Askren took it that seriously and paid the price.  Paul, for all his many many flaws, does actually train!  He is yet to fight anyone actually proficient or dangerous yet.

Well shows what I know!

Andrade-Williams was actually decent. Don't think he causes Canelo any problems though. 

Williams was really tough but not skilled enough , whereas Andrade was flashy but not spectacular . The ref was total rubbish allowing Andrade to hold all night . He looked nowhere near the top guys

• Like 1