38 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

A fix MD?

I actually thought the result was about right.

It was dreadful fare, and Fury is no professional boxer but after the first round, he did all the chasing and landed the better shots. KSI just clinched after every interaction. 

I think a lot of people think a deduction meant a 10-8 round for KSI when it didn't. Even with it, Fury only had to win 4 rounds and he probably did at least that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Believe it was the typical garbage standard YouTuber nonsense.

Indeed it was, yet got double the attendance and I'm sure millions more viewers than fight of the year contender between Warrington and Wood.

There's a lesson indeed for all there about the world and how to sell a product.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed it was, yet got double the attendance and I'm sure millions more viewers than fight of the year contender between Warrington and Wood.

There's a lesson indeed for all there about the world and how to sell a product.

I’d rather not see boxing demean itself with further wrestling type promotions, fights at weigh ins and tables being thrown.

We don’t always have to appeal to the worst in people.

I guess it’s what your value system is ultimately (not yours specifically Tommy).

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’d rather not see boxing demean itself with further wrestling type promotions, fights at weigh ins and tables being thrown.

We don’t always have to appeal to the worst in people.

I guess it’s what your value system is ultimately.

With all due respect, you sound like that Reverend Rugby Union Official before the split in 1895...

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

With all due respect, you sound like that Reverend Rugby Union Official before the split in 1895...

I know, but surely we don’t need these ridiculous brawls before fights.

To me it goes against everything that boxing stands for.

Do you really need wrestling style promos to interest you?

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I know, but surely we don’t need these ridiculous brawls before fights.

To me it goes against everything that boxing stands for.

Do you really need wrestling style promos to interest you?

There's been a lot of stupidity beforehand yes, but its not never happened in boxing or UFC or whatever before. Its created more social media buzz around a non-fight than anything else.

I don't need it, but equally I didn't even know the Warrington fight was on, for example. The hype isn't something anyone can afford to claim to be above or better than, because frankly it bring in money.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

There's been a lot of stupidity beforehand yes, but its not never happened in boxing or UFC or whatever before. Its created more social media buzz around a non-fight than anything else.

I don't need it, but equally I didn't even know the Warrington fight was on, for example. The hype isn't something anyone can afford to claim to be above or better than, because frankly it bring in money.

There’s a lot of suckers out there if they think what they are getting or going to see is top level boxing.

But then again there’s always been those easily influenced I guess…

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There’s a lot of suckers out there if they think what they are getting or going to see is top level boxing.

But then again there’s always been those easily influenced I guess…

Well in fairness, promoters of all sports promote sometimes on the basis of it not being the best quality.

Its just that these guys are better at it.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Well in fairness, promoters of all sports promote sometimes on the basis of it not being the best quality.

Its just that these guys are better at it.

I don’t think they’re best at it just appealing to the lowest common denominator.

And duping a lot of people into thinking they’re watching top level boxing.

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I don’t think they’re best at it just appealing to the lowest common denominator.

And duping a lot of people into thinking they’re watching top level boxing.

I don't think it is being sold as top level boxing, KSI doesn't even have a pro licence for example. And indeed, I've seen plenty of top level boxing that is really boring.

Again the lowest common denominator stuff sounds like what RU fans say about RL.

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think it is being sold as top level boxing, KSI doesn't even have a pro licence for example. And indeed, I've seen plenty of top level boxing that is really boring.

Again the lowest common denominator stuff sounds like what RU fans say about RL.

We’re better than wrestling style promos.

Thats for kids.

Whats next?  Tables, Ladders, Chairs?

30 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

We’re better than wrestling style promos.

Thats for kids.

Whats next?  Tables, Ladders, Chairs?

Or how about pre fight press conferences, public weigh-ins and training sessions with shows of strength and intimidation. Wait no no that's fine bc boxing did it first.

They did all this for the Fury KSI fight without a title on the line too. That's what should be learned here. Interest isn't about quality its about stories.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Or how about pre fight press conferences, public weigh-ins and training sessions with shows of strength and intimidation. Wait no no that's fine bc boxing did it first.

They did all this for the Fury KSI fight without a title on the line too. That's what should be learned here. Interest isn't about quality its about stories.

For gullible people maybe…

• 2 weeks later...

Ngannou hasn't just knocked him down in a fluke, he's embarrassed Fury here.

It's not hyperbolic to say this could be a nail in the coffin for boxing. When your undefeated heavyweight champion can't beat an MMA fighter, then you've lost any legitimacy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Did Fury even bother to train?

I'm sure he'll scream complacency but it shouldn't and won't matter. In theory, he should have been able to win with one hand against a non-boxer.

He's destroyed his legacy and done a lot to diminsh what reputation boxing had left. This isn't the bizarre crossover with Muhammad Ali where he probably lost, but a genuine boxing fight.

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm sure he'll scream complacency but it shouldn't and won't matter. In theory, he should have been able to win with one hand against a non-boxer.

He's destroyed his legacy and done a lot to diminsh what reputation boxing had left. This isn't the bizarre crossover with Muhammad Ali where he probably lost, but a genuine boxing fight.

I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

• Like 1

A heavyweight champion in a novelty non-belt fight and it's a farce that demeans everyone involved?

Gosh.

Next opponent: Thunderlips.

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

I'm not sure how.

The reigning boxing WBC and 'linear' champion, has just basically lost to an MMA fighter who isn't even in the UFC anymore.

On his personal level, it's extremely bad. He's painted himself as this master boxer who is levels above anybody today, in his opinion the greatest ever. This is much worse than Joshua-Ruiz as it wasn't a one-off punch that changed a fight, he was outboxed IMO.

For boxing, it is a disastrous look and one that will just further legitimise MMA/UFC over boxing. That's proper fighting to the point they can even beat/nearly beat top-level boxers at their own game.

It's akin to the Kangaroos struggling to beat the All Blacks in a game of RL.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A heavyweight champion in a novelty non-belt fight and it's a farce that demeans everyone involved?

Gosh.

Next opponent: Thunderlips.

It doesn't demean Ngannou, he looks like the ultimate now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm not sure how.

The reigning boxing WBC and 'linear' champion, has just basically lost to an MMA fighter who isn't even in the UFC anymore.

On his personal level, it's extremely bad. He's painted himself as this master boxer who is levels above anybody today, in his opinion the greatest ever. This is much worse than Joshua-Ruiz as it wasn't a one-off punch that changed a fight, he was outboxed IMO.

For boxing, it is a disastrous look and one that will just further legitimise MMA/UFC over boxing. That's proper fighting to the point they can even beat/nearly beat top-level boxers at their own game.

It's akin to the Kangaroos struggling to beat the All Blacks in a game of RL.  

I think you’re exaggerating again or being prone to believe others talking about the seismic nature of things here.

I guess it’s the way of the world these days.

Feels more like heavyweight champion of the world doesn’t bother training for non title exhibition fight against MMA fighter to make a quick buck.