2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Well, watching one of the biggest fights of the year live on a Tuesday lunchtime is certainly a first!

Inoue really destroyed him dominating almost every round.

Once he got his man going he really swarmed all over him to force the stoppage.

Thought Fulton’s legwork and stance didn’t help him although he was clearly trying to make his greater reach tell, but Inoue closed the distance easily enough landing lots of scoring shots round after round.

21 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Inoue really destroyed him dominating almost every round.

Once he got his man going he really swarmed all over him to force the stoppage.

Thought Fulton’s legwork and stance didn’t help him although he was clearly trying to make his greater reach tell, but Inoue closed the distance easily enough landing lots of scoring shots round after round.

He truly was a monster. Inoue won every round but Fulton looked at one point to be getting more comfortable and having bits of success.

Inoue though is not only heavy-handed, he's very effective with it. The KO was great to top off a good performance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It's no wonder boxing is struggling. Biggest American fight of the last couple of years and its £20 on PPV over here.

I'd be surprised if 50k people pay for it.

I didn’t stay up for this one due to the time difference and other commitments, but actually think these two boxers and this fight is more deserving of PPV than the vast majority of heavyweight pap that has been served up.

That said with so much illegal streaming and tight budgets then I agree that the PPV’s sold in the U.K. will be tiny despite it’s merits.

Don’t even get me started on the YouTube stars showing the ultimate reward from a society that more and more values style over substance.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I didn’t stay up for this one due to the time difference and other commitments, but actually think these two boxers and this fight is more deserving of PPV than the vast majority of heavyweight pap that has been served up.

That said with so much illegal streaming and tight budgets then I agree that the PPV’s sold in the U.K. will be tiny despite it’s merits.

Don’t even get me started on the YouTube stars showing the ultimate reward from a society that more and more values style over substance.

What do you mean by this?

20 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The YouTubers are a circus act in terms of professional boxing.

I would agree that in terms of professional boxing they are a "circus act" - But they aren't professionals, they're youtubers/influencers who have decided to take up boxing. 

If you are watching YouTuber boxing for the skill, then you're watching the wrong show. 

You watch it for the stories, which I guess doesn't translate so much for the "old guard" of boxing

On 30/07/2023 at 09:29, Gerrumonside ref said:

I agree that it's more deserving, but I still think the whole PPV model is a scam that I don't know how they ever sold to the public.

Somewhat inevitably, the bar has been lowered and lowered for what is classed as PPV fare.

It went from being mega-fights with mass appeal like Lewis-Bruno, to big world-title fights that appealed to sport fans like Hatton-Mayweather, to standard world title defences for fighters like Haye and AJ, to big domestic fights like Groves and DeGale, to now just any fight that is remotely appealing.

To boxing fans, Spence vs Crawford was the best standard fight for a few years, but the reality is that it had very little appeal here in the UK. Had it been free on the BBC, they would have probably been happy to get 100k staying up for it.

The original justification for PPV seems to have been conveniently forgotten, as there is no way that the probably 25k UK buys helped to make this fight happen.

In the long run, it is boxing that will lose out because the big fights aren't getting seen by anything like a mass audience. The first Mayweather fight I ever saw, was the De la Hoya fight because of the hype I'd heard around it. It was normal on Sky Sports, and I stayed up which started a decade or so of getting up for big American fights like that.

Had it been on PPV, I'd have never even considered it.

• Like 1

I bought the Spence - Crawford fight even though PPV bugs me and is more and more diluted . I was interested in this though , although it turned into a total beat down . I don’t know if Bud is just unbelievably good ( he is very good ) or Spence was in decline 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I bought the Spence - Crawford fight even though PPV bugs me and is more and more diluted . I was interested in this though , although it turned into a total beat down . I don’t know if Bud is just unbelievably good ( he is very good ) or Spence was in decline 

Yeh it was certainly an unexpected one. It was surprising because fights like that (outside of heavyweight) are so rarely one-sided like that. However, if you watch the prediction videos they are quite one-sided towards Crawford in hindsight.

I wouldn't criticise anyone for getting it, I've caved many times in the past (Bellew-Usyk ffs) and I don't think they're all bad. One good thing is that anyone can get them, but when you already have subscriptions it gets annoying. Other than UFC (which has the same prob IMO), other sports don't use this model.

Sadly, I think fights like Saturdays are why the mega fights don't happen when they should. The fear of being in Spence's position now is every top fighters worst nightmare. Not just losing your zero, but being borderline humiliated and forever having your legacy ruined. They'd rather stay in the shadows and the endless arguments about who'd win and who's ducking who etc. 

The only recent comparible example was AJ-Usyk 1, where a fighter's whole legacy was dismantled. Yes he'd lost to Ruiz, but there was always the question of whether he'd just been caught by a lucky punch. But this at the time wasn't a risky mega fight in the same way, AJ and his team thought his size would be enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Latest rant about Box Office.

Smith vs Eubank 2? Really, that's the level of fight that is now a PPV? God knows who actually pays for this garb.

Not me . I think its counterproductive . Take this off PPV , even on free to air tv like C5 and it would get loads more attention and viewers . Some of these good fights basically just come and go under the radar with this greed

Edited by DavidM

Yeah, I'm not interested enough to pay £19.95. I'll listen on Talksport instead. I agree about it taking these fights and fighters off the radar. Not like the early 90's when Eubank senior, Watson, Benn, McClelland, Collins, Hamed etc. lit up our screens.  Outside of a few heavyweights, I can barely name any boxers nowadays.

On 02/09/2023 at 22:33, 17 stone giant said:

Yeah, I'm not interested enough to pay £19.95. I'll listen on Talksport instead. I agree about it taking these fights and fighters off the radar. Not like the early 90's when Eubank senior, Watson, Benn, McClelland, Collins, Hamed etc. lit up our screens.  Outside of a few heavyweights, I can barely name any boxers nowadays.

I was thinking that myself ....having on ITV made them real stars . Not sure anyone would recognize a recent big PPV name like George Groves in the street but in the 1990s he'd have been huge 

Think I paid for one PPV ever....the Haye vs Klitchko one 

• 2 weeks later...

Something to entertain you. When Mayweather faced the Drunken Master.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

Considering some of the shots Joe Joyce has shrugged off during his career, this is quite the KO.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Considering some of the shots Joe Joyce has shrugged off during his career, this is quite the KO.

Zhang made Joyce look like the boxer everybody has always said he is.

Once you take away the idea of the unstoppable Joyce, there really wasn't much left.

Don't get me wrong, his style would still be horrible for many of the top boxers unable to KO him but it turns out the big hitters would have always had his number.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2023 at 10:04, Maximus Decimus said:

Zhang made Joyce look like the boxer everybody has always said he is.

Once you take away the idea of the unstoppable Joyce, there really wasn't much left.

Don't get me wrong, his style would still be horrible for many of the top boxers unable to KO him but it turns out the big hitters would have always had his number.

I've just watched it. Joyce was incredibly slow. I don't think i've ever seen a worse 'title' contender / performance.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

• 2 weeks later...

Great all domestic featherweight world title fight between Nottingham’s Leigh Wood and Leeds’ Josh Warrington tonight.

Warrington looked to have taken control of the fight and had picked up most of the rounds after the second.

Then towards the end of the 7th with Wood nursing a cut and seemingly heading for defeat, Warrington walked onto a string of heavy clubbing shots sending him crashing to the floor.

He beat the count, but the fight was called off - it was a true gripping fight and refreshing after the recent dross served up in boxing.

Talk of a stadium fight now at the City Ground against Wales’ super featherweight champ Joe Cordina next summer.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref