2019 Early Season games

Swampo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, manu266 said:

Meanwhile, the Arrows will start at home early April. Will be on the road for the first 8 games, MLR season starts end of January.

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-arrows-to-start-in-major-league-rugby-with-eight-road-games-1.1205721

It will be interesting to see if they have any home games times which clash with the Wolfpacks....they would be wise not to.....all rugby is on the way up in Toronto....best of luck to the Arrows!

"Webb says the Arrows games will be broadcast, with details to come later. "

CBC streaming like TWP?

Ar the very least,  TWP-haters should now realize that the climate is a Toronto wide issue, and not just something the Wolfpack has to deal with. 

New York is playing away until March for the same reasons. 

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

It will be interesting to see if they have any home games times which clash with the Wolfpacks....they would be wise not to.....all rugby is on the way up in Toronto....best of luck to the Arrows!

Very interesting for sure. I wonder if TWP will take the MLR schedule into account and avoid clashes? I don't know how far into the scheduling process the Championship would be.

1 minute ago, TheReaper said:

"Webb says the Arrows games will be broadcast, with details to come later. "

CBC streaming like TWP?

Ar the very least,  TWP-haters should now realize that the climate is a Toronto wide issue, and not just something the Wolfpack has to deal with. 

New York is playing away until March for the same reasons. 

They have already announced their game times (probably subject to change?), will be interested to see TWP game times....

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

That is smart of them.

All Sunday games is smart, or avoiding it is smart?

I'm quite happy with all Sunday afternoon games. I almost never have anything else scheduled for Sundays, and come late May Saturdays would be a real problem since I play at 1:30. 

I think having a regular date/time will be good for building the casual fanbase. The odd Friday or Saturday would be good too for those who really can't do Sunday, but the regularity makes it easy to remember and go.

1 hour ago, TheReaper said:

All Sunday games is smart, or avoiding it is smart?

I'm quite happy with all Sunday afternoon games. I almost never have anything else scheduled for Sundays, and come late May Saturdays would be a real problem since I play at 1:30. 

I think having a regular date/time will be good for building the casual fanbase. The odd Friday or Saturday would be good too for those who really can't do Sunday, but the regularity makes it easy to remember and go.

No, no...I agree with you.  I think having the Sundays afternoon games is smart.  They need to try and have the same time throughout so people can plan and get into a routine.  People are creatures of habit.  Its good also in that it probably won't conflict with the Wolfpack.  I hope it works out for the Arrows.

I'm going to be watching both Arrows and Wolfpack, so Saturday and Sunday game days work great.

Sorry to sound like a Doug Ford vilified downtown elitist, but I wish the Arrows could play at better location instead of out in the sticks. Varsity stadium would be a great option for them.  

1 hour ago, ojx said:

I'm going to be watching both Arrows and Wolfpack, so Saturday and Sunday game days work great.

Sorry to sound like a Doug Ford vilified downtown elitist, but I wish the Arrows could play at better location instead of out in the sticks. Varsity stadium would be a great option for them.  

Those sticks are easily accessible via car for the suburbanites that make up the majority of the GTHA rugby union players, coaches and parents (i.e their target market), along with being accessible via subway.

Varsity is not a great option; it would be a worse one: 

• It's artificial turf
  • The track means the stands are more distant from the field
  • The line painting situation would be much worse than Lamport
  • Getting their preferred slot for 8 Sunday afternoons over 9 weeks would be impossible since it is permitted for use a lot more heavily than York Stadium

It's only a better option for those who think a longer subway ride is a deal breaker.

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

No, no...I agree with you.  I think having the Sundays afternoon games is smart.  They need to try and have the same time throughout so people can plan and get into a routine.  People are creatures of habit.  Its good also in that it probably won't conflict with the Wolfpack.  I hope it works out for the Arrows.

Six home games kickoff at 2pm and two home games kickoff at 1pm so it's pretty consistent.

5 hours ago, Lamport Life said:

BTW, at what point did they morph from Ontario Arrows to Toronto Arrows? I thought they were the former through the exhibition games this year?

They rebranded as they joined MLR. Not hugely impressed with the name or logo but I'll drop by for a game to check them out at some point. I wish them well, and I do not think they will hurt the Wolfpack at all.

4 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

They rebranded as they joined MLR. Not hugely impressed with the name or logo but I'll drop by for a game to check them out at some point. I wish them well, and I do not think they will hurt the Wolfpack at all.

I love the new logo, it has a real traditional rugby badge look to it.

Just now, RobertAM said:

I expect we will take some Superleague scalps this year (challenge cup) starting with Hull KR!

The totem infront of the lodge will be full of scalps from everyone we play....the message is clear...behave and beware the presence of the unstoppable new RL force;  BEWARE THE WOLFPACK!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of home games being played on the road. It is a big disappointment, but I guess we all knew it was coming.  The RFL should be serious, and let TWP play all away games from Feb-April. Otherwise, don't have them in the league.

3 hours ago, ojx said:

I'm not a fan of home games being played on the road. It is a big disappointment, but I guess we all knew it was coming.  The RFL should be serious, and let TWP play all away games from Feb-April. Otherwise, don't have them in the league.

They are very difficult to get along with these RL folk..  I guess we will get the 10th game as a playoff bonus on the season tickets.  Can't wait for that first home game.  We should startup a betting pool on what our record will be when we play the first home game at Lamport.  I'll go out on the limb right now and say we will be coming to Lamport undefeated.

"Undefeated With The Pack!"

Archived