RL in the South... What's happening???

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Well the southern teams have a slightly larger geographical distance to cover. Are you saying they shouldn’t get help, which would likely reduce the playing pool even further by shutting down more clubs, just because some heartland clubs don’t get support? That’s very narrow minded  

I'm not going to list all the non heartland grounds I have been to and development clubs that I have supported since I started watching RL in 1971 because I have done that several times on other threads but, I seriously doubt, considering that I am now 63 and will drive anywhere in the Country to watch any standard of Rugby League that there are many people, if any, out there who visited as many different grounds or watched as many games in total as I have. I am all for expansion - true expansion, not RU players keeping fit in their off season. I just think all teams should be treated fairly. There is precious little money coming into the game and about 95% of it goes to Super Greed.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Trying to find somebody to take the card round would be an issue at our club mate. People just don't want to volunteer these days. Our secretary and vice chairman often miss most of the game because they are in the kitchen preparing the after match food!

I know what you mean, luckily we've a guy who has been with us for 40 years and he loves doing these little jobs. 

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

45 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I'm not going to list all the non heartland grounds I have been to and development clubs that I have supported since I started watching RL in 1971 because I have done that several times on other threads but, I seriously doubt, considering that I am now 63 and will drive anywhere in the Country to watch any standard of Rugby League that there are many people, if any, out there who visited as many different grounds or watched as many games in total as I have. I am all for expansion - true expansion, not RU players keeping fit in their off season. I just think all teams should be treated fairly. There is precious little money coming into the game and about 95% of it goes to Super Greed.

I'm the same if my team hasn't a game, I actually went to two grounds yesterday before ending up at Oulton v East Hull, turned out to be a very good game and a lot closer than the score suggests.

There is a really nice couple of guys from Sheffield who do the rounds of the amateur grounds and they travel everywhere on public transport.

1 hour ago, Celtic Rooster said:

You didn't answer my question though, did you? The intention of the Southern Conference is to provide a genuine alternative to clubs who just have union players keeping fit, so this should be applauded and not castigated like you do in most of your posts. Is it fair that they are hamstrung by geography? Is it fair that they don't have any elite clubs in their area to piggyback on?

In your last sentence, I think you mean Super League. Like it or not, they generate the vast majority of the money coming into the game so are entitled to keep it. That's not to say that i wouldn't like to see more of it filter down but some SL clubs do a lot for community clubs, my club Leeds in particular.

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

You didn't answer my question though, did you? The intention of the Southern Conference is to provide a genuine alternative to clubs who just have union players keeping fit, so this should be applauded and not castigated like you do in most of your posts. Is it fair that they are hamstrung by geography? Is it fair that they don't have any elite clubs in their area to piggyback on?

In your last sentence, I think you mean Super League. Like it or not, they generate the vast majority of the money coming into the game so are entitled to keep it. That's not to say that i wouldn't like to see more of it filter down but some SL clubs do a lot for community clubs, my club Leeds in particular.

Do they also run a RLC style competition in the South.

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

I'm the same if my team hasn't a game, I actually went to two grounds yesterday before ending up at Oulton v East Hull, turned out to be a very good game and a lot closer than the score suggests.

There is a really nice couple of guys from Sheffield who do the rounds of the amateur grounds and they travel everywhere on public transport. 

Yes I have met them a few times at various grounds. One of them is in a wheel chair as well. There are a few people like us Marauder but I can think of one guy from Oldham and another from St. Helens who have passed away recently. I made a good friend with a guy from Leeds. He went to amateur games by public transport every Saturday and also followed Leeds - not missing a game home or away for about 20 years, including a friendly .v. Widnes in South Africa. He just stopped watching RL completely about 2 years ago for some reason. I don't get about as much these days because I work nights but I would drive to Hull to watch an A team game on a Tuesday then drive to Huddersfield on Wednesday to watch Moldgreen. Ive been to most of the southern clubs and used to watch Ipswich quite a lot before they became Eastern Rhinos.

Double D there has been a Southern Conference before and back in the 80's we had MASWARLA and other leagues. There was a times when London had more amateur teams than Wigan. I wish them all well and I go and pay my money to support them but as the years go by and the clubs come and go I het more sceptical. I have all the league tables going back to 1973. I think all amateur teams, whatever their geographical location, should be getting more help than they are.

No, I definitely mean Super Greed. I cannot describe those clubs any other way, and I get pleasure from knowing that it really winds some people up on here. It is particularly pleasing when other people on here use the phrase as well. It's almost as much as fun as putting my flat cap on on a Sunday morning and driving round the M60 at 60 mph in the middle lane! Of course SG clubs bring the TV money in. They convinced everybody that nothing else is worth watching and that is why the game below SG is suffering a slow painful death.

On that jolly note I will say goodbye.

I bumped into the two guys (One in wheel chair) last season, I think it was Bentley v Siddal, I once picked him up from the railway station in Thorne and took him to our ground, then back to the station after the game.

Think I'll be going to Ossett this coming Saturday.

• 4 weeks later...

pic

First Posted on the official Hemel Stags Website 19th April 2019

A great day of rugby league at Pennine Way - Home of the Stags.

The day kicks off with a wonderful festival of mini rugby featuring the Stags and other clubs from the London & South East.

Then the day hots up with a London Junior League clash between Hemel & Richmond at U14 level to be followed by a terrific main curtain-raiser - Hemel Stags two Under 16 teams - the 'Blues' & 'Golds' - meeting in a London Junior League fixture  highlighting the pride of Hemel youth.

All of this is just a taster for the launch of our Southern Conference League season when the new-look Stags under coach Ken Kerr take on London Chargers.

There will be licensed bars and a full range of catering options available.

Gates open at 9.am and admission is FREE!

CREDIT: https://goldenpointrl.blog/southern-conference-league-team-guide/

220px-Hemel_Stags_logo.svg.png

Hemel Stags

The Stags competed in Betfred League One between 2013 and 2018, finishing in 5th place on two occasions.

The club were formed in 1981 and, over the past 38 seasons, have competed in various incarnations of Southern and Eastern divisions before successfully applying for a position in League One.

Hemel play in a small enclosed stadium at Pennine Way, have seven secondary schools which regularly play the sport under their tutorship and have a healthy representation in the London Broncos Scholarship and Academy squads.

In possibly the standout tie of Round One in the new Southern Conference League, Hemel Stags will welcome visitors London Chargers to Pennine Way.

ChargersRL.jpg

London Chargers

Based on Clapham Common, the London Chargers formed when members from South London Storm and West London Sharks joined forces in 2013 to create South West London Chargers.

The club would enjoy immediate success winning the London League and Harry Jepson Trophy consecutively for three seasons. A rebrand to London Chargers followed and that also proved successful as they won the Conference League South in 2016.

They have reached the Grand Final in every season since their inception and have played nine Coral Challenge Cup games in the past six seasons.

London Chargers will look to knock off the much-discussed Hemel Stags in the opening round of fixtures in the Southern Conference League.

Does Nottingham count as 'The South'? Had an enjoyable visit this afternoon to Nottingham Outlaws and their impressive set-up at Lenton Lane. A Yorkshire League Premier Division game against New Earswick All Blacks was overshadowed by a bad injury to Outlaws prop Conor Foulkes, who apparently broke a leg while carrying the ball into the visitors' defensive line. There was a 30-minute delay during the second half while he was treated and taken to hospital (in the back of a spectator's estate car because no ambulance was available). New Earswick, 10-0 up at half-time, won 19-0. The York lads scored three tries, two conversions, a penalty and a drop goal. The crowd I counted at 41. Admission was £3 and an excellent 16-page programme sold for £2. Be good to get Outlaws in the NCL. Lenton Lane, fully enclosed former home of defunct Greenwood Meadows FC, has two small stands (one all-seater), floodlights, permanent dug-outs and a tidy clubhouse - with kitchen and bar - next to the pitch. Lovely homemade chocolate cake on sale, too!

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Does Nottingham count as 'The South'? Had an enjoyable visit this afternoon to Nottingham Outlaws and their impressive set-up at Lenton Lane. A Yorkshire League Premier Division game against New Earswick All Blacks was overshadowed by a bad injury to Outlaws prop Conor Foulkes, who apparently broke a leg while carrying the ball into the visitors' defensive line. There was a 30-minute delay during the second half while he was treated and taken to hospital (in the back of a spectator's estate car because no ambulance was available). New Earswick, 10-0 up at half-time, won 19-0. The York lads scored three tries, two conversions, a penalty and a drop goal. The crowd I counted at 41. Admission was £3 and an excellent 16-page programme sold for £2. Be good to get Outlaws in the NCL. Lenton Lane, fully enclosed former home of defunct Greenwood Meadows FC, has two small stands (one all-seater), floodlights, permanent dug-outs and a tidy clubhouse - with kitchen and bar - next to the pitch. Lovely homemade chocolate cake on sale, too!

Sounds like Nottingham have a good setup . Hope the injured player recovers quickly . Poor no ambulance available . 

Just now, henage said:

Sounds like Nottingham have a good setup . Hope the injured player recovers quickly . Poor no ambulance available . 

Sports injuries - usually not life threatening - are rarely a priority for the ambulance service. The way it is. At least Outlaws managed to get him to hospital in reasonable time.

On 29/03/2019 at 11:09, Celtic Rooster said:

The NCL clubs get enough funding to pay for one coach trip per season. Any league below that get nothing.

Doesn't the RFL get a sum of money from sport England that's supposed to go to the amateur game (BARLA)

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:10, Marauder said:

Doesn't the RFL get a sum of money from sport England that's supposed to go to the amateur game (BARLA) 

The amateur game (BARLA) used to get a annual amount direct from Sport England but quite a few years back they decided that Rugby League is Rugby League wether or not it is amateur or professional and decided to just make one payment. They did not stipulate how it was to be used. Unfortunately they decided to make the payment to the RFL rather than the much larger (at the time) BARLA organisation.

Hemel Stags - SOUTHERN CONFERENCE - Fixtures

Eastern Region - April to June 2019

Date Home Team     Away Team
27.04.2019 Hemel Stags 6 30 London Chargers
04.05.2019 Eastern Rhinos 28 14 Hemel Stags
11.05.2019 Brixton Bulls     Hemel Stags
18.05.2019 Hemel Stags     SOUTH LONDON SILVERBACKS
08.06.2019 West Warriors     Hemel Stags
15.06.2019 Hemel Stags     Hammersmith Hills Hoist
22.06.2019 Bedford Tigers     Hemel Stags
29.06.2019 Hemel Stags     North Herts Crusaders

imagesource.php?image=31793.jpg&maxwidth=300

•  

3 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

SOUTHERN CONFERENCE LEAGUE FIXTURES

Eastern Region - April to June 2019

Date Home Team     Away Team
27.04.2019 Hemel Stags     London Chargers
04.05.2019 Eastern Rhinos     Hemel Stags
11.05.2019 Brixton Bulls     Hemel Stags
18.05.2019 Hemel Stags     SOUTH LONDON SILVERBACKS
08.06.2019 West Warriors     Hemel Stags
15.06.2019 Hemel Stags     Hammersmith Hills Hoist
22.06.2019 Bedford Tigers     Hemel Stags
29.06.2019 Hemel Stags     North Herts Crusaders

imagesource.php?image=31793.jpg&maxwidth=300

•  

And good luck to all teams.

x2kvuSaZ_bigger.jpg V rGDGG8fp_bigger.jpeg  From the Eastern Rhinos Twitter Feed 04-May-19

Results:

1st grade: Eastern Rhinos  28 -14 Hemel Stags

U16s: Hemel Stags 22 - 12 Eastern Rhinos

D5vUt6FXoAErKMi.jpg

Saturday saw the start of the East RL

Hemel Stags A 0 - 24 Southend Sharks
North Herts Knights 48 - 20 Bedford Tigers A
St Albans Centurions 18 - 0 Brentwood Eels

(Been told Hemel pulled out of their match as they couldn't raise a team - not sure if it's true though? If it is, hopefully just a blip)

To continue my post from the other thread, was really impressed with North Herts Knights.  They ran up the score a little at the end, as it was only 18-10 at half-time.  Bedford were really run ragged by the end but they left it all out on the field.  Thought there were a number of players in the North Herts ranks who should be pushing for a first team place, especially their left centre who dominated Bedford's right side in the second half.

North Herts felt as though they had an established twos setup and Bedford were playing their first game.  Having spoken to a few people, it seems as though that was closer to the truth than I thought.  There were a number of lads on the Bedford side playing not just their first RL game but their first game of adult rugby.  In that regard, they acquitted themselves well.

I wonder why they ran a round of fixtures on a Bank Holiday weekend though.  The Southern Conference fixtures were originally drawn up to have byes on the Bank Holidays.  The West of England League has six teams this year and they're not starting until next week.  Why run on a weekend where you traditionally struggle to draw players?  Last year, Hemel's London League team (A grade?) folded and their East Division 1 side (B Grade?) were 4-5.  This could be a blip for them.  Was there a reason for rearranging a game from round 9 to a bye weekend, let alone May Day, which is notoriously flaky.

Southern Conference - ROUND TWO RESULTS

Western Division

Torfaen Tigers 50-36 Swindon St George

Valley Cougars 42-8 All Golds

Eastern Division

North Herts Crusaders 16-28 Bedford Tigers

Eastern Rhinos 28-14 Hemel Stags

LEAGUE TABLES

Eastern Division

Week Two

Western Division

Week Two.png

For more information, please visit the excellent Golden Point Rugby League Website https://goldenpointrl.blog

On 31/03/2019 at 10:54, Marauder said:

I know what you mean, luckily we've a guy who has been with us for 40 years and he loves doing these little jobs

I don't know your club but saying it's a "little job" is massively underplaying how much time and effort it takes to put on decent food.

Personally when I did it for St.Albans cents I travelled 40 miles (round trip), aside from the time spent shopping for the food it would take a while to set up your gear/unload the car, couple of hours just doing the food itself plus setting up crockery/cutlery, serving implements, plus making sure spongers (AKA players not playing/paying subs) weren't taking food. Then you'd have to clear up not to mention the washing up afterwards, loading your car up with your bits, putting food into pots in the freezer etc.

A home game for me was pretty much 5 hours of work plus an hours travel plus another hour buying food.

Yes I was hampered by a shoddy little kitchen at a soccer club that was smaller than my own at home and yes I wanted to make the best food I could due to being a pro chef (so I would make individual quiches, home made burgers etc) but even if I was making bog standard bolog and pasta it's still not a "little job"

It's a damn shame that volunteering at clubs can be tight and it puts an awful lot of pressure on those select few that have to do a lot often without recognition/appreciation by most.

15 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I don't know your club but saying it's a "little job" is massively underplaying how much time and effort it takes to put on decent food.

Personally when I did it for St.Albans cents I travelled 40 miles (round trip), aside from the time spent shopping for the food it would take a while to set up your gear/unload the car, couple of hours just doing the food itself plus setting up crockery/cutlery, serving implements, plus making sure spongers (AKA players not playing/paying subs) weren't taking food. Then you'd have to clear up not to mention the washing up afterwards, loading your car up with your bits, putting food into pots in the freezer etc.

A home game for me was pretty much 5 hours of work plus an hours travel plus another hour buying food.

Yes I was hampered by a shoddy little kitchen at a soccer club that was smaller than my own at home and yes I wanted to make the best food I could due to being a pro chef (so I would make individual quiches, home made burgers etc) but even if I was making bog standard bolog and pasta it's still not a "little job"

It's a damn shame that volunteering at clubs can be tight and it puts an awful lot of pressure on those select few that have to do a lot often without recognition/appreciation by most.

The food is put on by the pub landlord and I'd go as far as to say it is up there with the best and we cater for players, officials and supporters of both teams.

40 minutes ago, Marauder said:

The food is put on by the pub landlord and I'd go as far as to say it is up there with the best and we cater for players, officials and supporters of both teams.

my problem was the fact you said it was a "little job", for volunteers and indeed if using equipment/environ that was not meant to be for catering for a few makes it very hard work, I expect that's the case for quite a few clubs and their volunteers around the country. 

I did it for nowt, I expected nothing and gave my time and fuel so that the club would benefit not just financially by my cutting their costs significantly yet providing much nicer food (in my humble opinion) but hopefully making the after match a more pleasant experience all round. We actually won the Harry Jepsom that year as it happens, all down to the post match nutrition of course?.

Archived