Persistent rain.

mickhornet

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a complete farce. Having checked on twitter and the club site there was no hint that the game would be called off. I set off on my  100 mile round trip only to greeted by people standing around outside the ground with little idea what was happening. The communications were abysmal. This kind of thing makes the club a laughing stock. In 65 years of supporting Hornets I can't remember anything like this. I appreciate that health and safety must be considered but surely the posts are erected and the covers removed well before the game is due to be played. I heard various theories as to the real reason but it is Hornet's job to keep people informed. 

In future I will not set off to a match unless I'm certain that it will be played although at the moment I feel like stopping attending completely. 

13 minutes ago, Pedro said:

What a complete farce. Having checked on twitter and the club site there was no hint that the game would be called off. I set off on my  100 mile round trip only to greeted by people standing around outside the ground with little idea what was happening. The communications were abysmal. This kind of thing makes the club a laughing stock. In 65 years of supporting Hornets I can't remember anything like this. I appreciate that health and safety must be considered but surely the posts are erected and the covers removed well before the game is due to be played. I heard various theories as to the real reason but it is Hornet's job to keep people informed. 

In future I will not set off to a match unless I'm certain that it will be played although at the moment I feel like stopping attending completely. 

Pedro, I think you will find a complete farce, quite polite compared to what the York Fans are saying. We heard numerous, stories, excuses, and 'reason for the delay. We also noted in the Dale bar, there were hardly any Hornets fans there. What did they know?

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Apparently the head groundsman has final say over what goes on and he deemed conditions unsafe. Just a shame he couldn't have made his mind up sooner.

Well if the head groundsman would like to pay travel exspenses  for all the Knights supporters who came on the bus please forward £ 500.00 to the club as a gesture, if there was any doubt about the match going ahead it should have been called off before the team and supporters left York, or was it a fact the football club officials were against the rugby went ahead,and sat on their hands, pathetic absolute fiasco.

I'd like to know which of the following statements, if any, are true.

When we got off the coach we were told by one steward we could not enter the bar via the ground because the terracing was unsafe. A different steward said we could not go in because the pitchside hoardings which were holding the covers down were being removed..

The next thing was the posts could not be placed in the ground until the covers came off.  This was followed by we have tried to get a post in but failed. We then heard, the covers were never removed, so how did they even attempt to get the posts in.

So  can anybody shed any light as to which of these are correct?The entire episode was farcical beyond belief, and the Rochdale club have to be held to account for what happened this afternoon.

1 hour ago, HaxbyKnight said:

I'd like to know which of the following statements, if any, are true.

When we got off the coach we were told by one steward we could not enter the bar via the ground because the terracing was unsafe. A different steward said we could not go in because the pitchside hoardings which were holding the covers down were being removed..

The next thing was the posts could not be placed in the ground until the covers came off.  This was followed by we have tried to get a post in but failed. We then heard, the covers were never removed, so how did they even attempt to get the posts in.

So  can anybody shed any light as to which of these are correct?The entire episode was farcical beyond belief, and the Rochdale club have to be held to account for what happened this afternoon.

From the Dale MB

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/forum/238563/page:2/#27

A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

It sounds to me like the football ground staff have made complete fools of Hornets today. They didn't want the game played as it would undoubtedly have damaged the pitch, they've had all morning to get it sorted yet haven't had a "window"? I've been out walking greenbooth with the kids all morning, there were several "windows". 

The relationship between the football club and hornets seems untenable, if the authority on match day of our Directors and Chief Exec are trumped by a groundsman then we need to get out as soon as possible. I'd be speaking to Mayfield and Rochdale Rugby Union in the morning

46 minutes ago, BridKnight said:

Must be true - it’s in the award winning York Evening Press!!

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkcityknights/17490599.york-city-knights-waiting-to-find-out-if-they-get-the-points-after-controversial-call-off-at-rochdale-hornets/

Top of the league ?

See you in June unless it snows! ?

Given the quote from the Match Commissioner that Health and Safety comes first I expect the game to be replayed at some point.

Archived